Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place San Diego/Vista-Carlsbad REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2012, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz

While the previous Upcoming thread had this property on watch for years, it appears to finally be open. I am going to take a stay here next week, but did not know if anyone has already had a chance to try the property.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/hya...ing-2012-07-10

Opened July 10th, 2012

Of course, this property is not to be confused with the Hyatt House nearby.

I did not realize how new it was until I started trying to figure out why I had not heard of this property before. I looked for another thread, but did not see one.

Rasheed
Old Aug 7, 2012, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Review of Hyatt Place Vista

Well, I visted this property last weekend, here are some notes:

GP Notes: There is really not much recognition of status at HP properties as most already know. There are 'studio' rooms which are slightly different in style than the non-studio rooms, but otherwise you should know what to expect for a HP.

Review: This property at the time of my visit was open less than a month. The area surrounding is filled with lower/mid-tier chain hotels, so it fits in quite well. With HP's upgraded breakfast offering, it fits in well, and I think offers a decent alternative to the CY, HI, and other chains in the region. In the past, I have only visited renovated properties that were turned into HPs, this was my first one that was built as a HP. In general, some good layout including a massive flat-screen that can rotate to either the sofa-bed or regular bed and good wet bar area with a minifridge. The concept of a walk-in shower is great, but I think there is something wrong with how the handles are set on the sliding doors and the door between the bathroom and sink area seems awkward. A walk-in shower is by far better than the tub option. While one might think it would take awhile for a new property to get to high occupancy, my visit was very crowded with folks on vacation with their families. This location also has a pool, exercise area, and a decent lobby. Still, the HP sign on the back of the building was already partially non-functional so there are the construction punch list defects.

The breakfast service was good within the HP standard. Is it just me, but I am not really capable pouring the milk/juice/water from the HP-issued pitcher under the protection glass (and taking out of the glass area is hard too). I do like the new hot options, and the staff is accomodating to making special versions if needed.

Nearby: There is a relatively new shopping plaza with a Stater Bros and Trader Joes (both are recommended and were recently ranked top 10 supermarket chains in the nation). That plaza has a bunch of experimental Chipotle-like chains, but applied to different foods like salads, kabobs, Indian food, etc. There is also an Elevation Burger which you can research what that is all about. Most people staying here are coming for work purposes or Legoland. I do not recommend it for people who want to spend most of their time in San Diego city proper, but a San Diego day trip is fine too.

Getting There: Really, does not have good interstate/freeway access. You will have to drive a few miles on city streets to get regardless. There is an airport nearby, but I suspect very few people would land at that airport typically.

Rasheed

Last edited by rasheed; Aug 7, 2012 at 2:10 pm
Old Nov 5, 2012, 2:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold,IHG Plat Amb, CC Gold, Kimpton IC, United, AA, BA, Amtrak G.R.
I recently stayed here for 3 nights over a weekend and I would rate it as an excellent Hyatt Place! Probably the best HP experience I have had chain-wide thus far. It was great AAA rate as well.

Highlight was the excellent service and great attitude from all employees. Breakfast experience was wonderful. Lots of food, frequently replenished, quick clean up

Wish all HP's were run this well!!
Old Nov 6, 2012, 7:33 am

Stayed there last weekend. Excellent Hyatt Place. Wonderful management and staff. Excellent recognition of diamond status. Tried very hard to find the best room available. Very early check-in and no problem. Will definitely stay again.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Best HP I've stayed in, not that I admit staying in HPs.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 9:10 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I need to book 5 nights for my family at this Hyatt Place and am utterly confused about the room descriptions; they all seem generically written. We need the biggest room possible, what do you recommend?

Is a "Studio King" bigger than a "King Bed" room? Should we go with an ADA King room? If so, should get a tub or the shower option.

Ugh, they make it so difficult sometimes to tell the room sizes and amenities apart.

Thanks for any help!
Old Apr 6, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier Gold
We had a good experience here. We asked for connecting rooms at reservation and they thanked us for asking for that in advance. The experience was the usual pleasant HP. The breakfast area was a little crowded but since this was during spring break it wasn't too surprising.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 5:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Gold
Good service, but felt extra dreary

Just back from a two-night stay. The staff was friendly and everything was clean and I felt safe. But the rooms are pretty banged up - numerous scratches on doors and furniture and other signs of wear and tear bare-bones appointments, poor lighting, and poor ventilation. In comparison with my fave Hyatt Places that either put together a bagged breakfast for you (Burlington, MA) or allow you to choose your own prepackaged stuff (Marlborough, MA), breakfast was pre-bagged at the front desk. Whatever ... it is what it is. But they didn't even have a pot of coffee, and instead offered one extra of the sh-tty in-room packaged things. How much can it cost to brew a couple of pots of coffee once a day? Fortunately, there's a Starbucks a block away and it opens at 4am!

Whoever owns this property, once we're past this pandemic, please give your hotel a little love, some ventilation, and some new lighting. It's downright dreary.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 1:22 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
I gave this hotel a poor rating on a survey from a few weeks ago due to the aforementioned lack of coffee and the go-bag that was full of sugar items. Response was a lukewarm "thank you for your feedback" with no signs of things being improved any time soon. Ended up at Starbucks (which is frankly better than most HP breakfasts normally, and I'm not generally a fan of Starbucks).
Old Feb 21, 2022, 10:45 pm

I have been seeing conflicting information on whether the HP has laundry facilities on site. Can anyone confirm one way or another. I tried to call the hotel around 9:20 PM PST...no one answered the phone. So...that is another red flag for me....
Old Feb 21, 2022, 11:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold
Did a 2 night stay here a few weeks ago. The hotel sits on land that is below street level so the front entrance feels like you're in a pit (back entrance is fine). It's a typical new build Hyatt Place with blinds in the room instead of curtains. I always request the top floor since I have T-Mobile and have had trouble with my cell signal in rooms on lower floors on past stays. Friendly staff, breakfast was eggs, bacon & a waffle that came in sealed plastic containers. My biggest gripe was I wanted to purchase an evening beverage and they don't take cash.

If you're into breweries the location can't be beat - one mile from Pizza Port Bressi Ranch and a mile from Belching Beaver Brewing 980 Pub. Not much else for dining in the immediate area but the rooms are quiet. Be warned, they have transportation to Lego Land so it can be overrun with kids and families in the summer and some weekends.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by mitch1
Did a 2 night stay here a few weeks ago. The hotel sits on land that is below street level so the front entrance feels like you're in a pit (back entrance is fine). It's a typical new build Hyatt Place with blinds in the room instead of curtains. I always request the top floor since I have T-Mobile and have had trouble with my cell signal in rooms on lower floors on past stays. Friendly staff, breakfast was eggs, bacon & a waffle that came in sealed plastic containers. My biggest gripe was I wanted to purchase an evening beverage and they don't take cash.

If you're into breweries the location can't be beat - one mile from Pizza Port Bressi Ranch and a mile from Belching Beaver Brewing 980 Pub. Not much else for dining in the immediate area but the rooms are quiet. Be warned, they have transportation to Lego Land so it can be overrun with kids and families in the summer and some weekends.
Since you only had a 2 night stay I am guessing it wasn't an issue for you...but did you notice any on-site laundry?
Old Feb 22, 2022, 6:10 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Is this reasonable as an overnight for either San Diego or SAN?
Old Feb 22, 2022, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
This is extremely far from the San Diego airport and from the city of San Diego. I definitely would not stay here for a layover or something like that.

(Though I probably wouldn't stay here for any reason other than the one that got me here a few years ago...participating in a major tournament at the SoCal Sports Complex in nearby Oceanside)
Old Feb 22, 2022, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
It is far...and definitely I would not stay here and have to take a pre-8:00 AM flight. I have driven from Carlsbad to SAN for like a noon flight and that was not too bad, but if I have a morning one, I go into town and grab an overnight hotel stay if necessary, especially at a hotel with an airport shuttle...of course I have kids so that is a big reason.

In terms of doing stuff in San Diego while staying there, I haven't yet, but might head further south than normal just to do more things, like La Jolla and maybe even that amusement park near Mission Bay, instead of just staying in Carlsbad (my kids are the few kids in the world who loved Legoland enough to go back for 5 straight days...twice). But I am also purposely cutting my stay in Carlsbad short so that I can move to a hotel in town for city activities.
futuramadramallama likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.