Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2012, 8:42 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Just in case anyone is interested, here's a few pictures of the renovated Grand Club thanks to my friends at GHT.

Grand Club

Grand Club Serving Area

Grand Club

Grand Club Terrace

Originally Posted by ainternational
More thoughts on the new club:

Overall, it's a great upgrade and superbly well done.

Rumor has it that rooms will start being upgraded in 2012.......
Old May 4, 2012, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by thezipper
Just in case anyone is interested, here's a few pictures of the renovated Grand Club thanks to my friends at GHT.
Thanks! The renovated lounge looks good. ^
Old May 5, 2012, 5:37 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It's a nice place... but although quite big still can be rather crowded. The terrace is also a nice thought.
Old May 6, 2012, 5:11 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by RTW1
It's a nice place... but although quite big still can be rather crowded. The terrace is also a nice thought.
Indeed, it was incredibly crowded the last few days during Golden Week. The hotel was operating at or near full capacity. The Grand Club staff was kind enough to invite several guests to complementary happy hour at The Oak Door when the Grand Club was too full. A thoughtful and pleasant surprise, not to mention an incredible value.
Old May 10, 2012, 10:58 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
They are sooooo good at service... When I was there over New Years, the Club was packed when I came down. They asked me to come back a bit later, but said when a table opened up, they would call my room... which they did in 15 minutes. Looking forward to getting back and seeing the new layout... and the room renovations...

Originally Posted by ainternational
Indeed, it was incredibly crowded the last few days during Golden Week. The hotel was operating at or near full capacity. The Grand Club staff was kind enough to invite several guests to complementary happy hour at The Oak Door when the Grand Club was too full. A thoughtful and pleasant surprise, not to mention an incredible value.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
While checking availability with the Costco corporate number, I noticed that there are now two Costco rates that come up. The "Costco Standard" rate remains a 10% discount off of the Hyatt Daily Rate, but the "Costco Member-Url" rate appears to be a flat, unchanging rate based on room type, the cheapest being 42,000 yen for the Grand Kind and Grand Twin. Which basically caps the rate of a stay at that price.

Normally the "Costco Member-Url" is more expensive, but for the New Years period, that is over $100 a night cheaper than the regular Costco discount!

Of course, that's still quite a bit more expensive than an Inspire certificate stay, but if you need the flexibility to cancel, that rate will be hard to beat...
Old Oct 4, 2012, 8:44 pm

NRT

whats the best way to get to the hotel from narita international via public transportation/ cheapest route
Old Oct 4, 2012, 9:25 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by gunit770
whats the best way to get to the hotel from narita international via public transportation/ cheapest route
Best as in cheapest? Best as in most direct? Best as in fastest?

Best as in most direct: Airport Limo (Shuttle bus). Drops you at the hotel door step.

Best as in fastest: I believe there is a train, but you need to change stations
Old Oct 5, 2012, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by DHalltheway
Best as in cheapest? Best as in most direct? Best as in fastest?

Best as in most direct: Airport Limo (Shuttle bus). Drops you at the hotel door step.

Best as in fastest: I believe there is a train, but you need to change stations
In my opinion the limousine bus is the best way to go.

Unless you are traveling very lightly riding subways with bags is not practical.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 4:34 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Limo bus is simplest.

Cheapest would be Keisei limited express to Nippori, Yamanote line to EBisu, and then Hibiya Subway line to Roppongi. Alternative would be to ride the Yamanote line from Nippori to Hamamatsucho, then transfer to the Oedo line (Diamon station) to Roppongi. I suspect both alternatives would have a total cost about Y1400 but I think the Ebisu alternative has fewer stairs to manage as there are now escalators all the way to the Hibiya line from JR at Ebisu station.

Best train option would likely be N'Ex to Shibuya and then taxi to the hotel. Not all N'Ex trains stop at Shibuya.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium; Globalist
If you are landing in the mid to late afternoon the bus can take quite a while in traffic so I always prefer the NEX to Shibuya option followed by a taxi. You can check the train schedules online at the JR East site (or just google NEX train schedule) and while not all go to Shibuya it is not usually more than a 15 to 30 minute wait at most.

If you decide on the NEX train option to Shibuya, be sure to leave the station at the "New South" exit which is closest to where you get off the NEX train. It is not far and less crowded than the other Shibuya exits. (It can be a zoo if you go to the other exits and harder to navigate. It is also more difficult to get around the other exits with a suitcase since some sections only have stairs and escalator/elevator are hard to locate.)

After you exit the New South exit there is escalator down one flight. Also you can take an adjacent elevator that is part of the Mets Hotel. Taxis are waiting at the bottom which is street level. If you plan on taking a bus locally this is not the exit for you as they congregate at one of the main entrances.

If you return to Narita by the NEX at Shibuya I would suggest taking a taxi to the same "New South" entrance though most taxi drivers will automatically take you to the other ones. The Mets hotel is a good landmark to which to direct the driver.

Last edited by RDUflyer2; Oct 5, 2012 at 9:13 am
Old Oct 7, 2012, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Maybe I am not completely tuned in to what the serice concept of a Grand Hyatt is. But considering that the price tag is equivalent to the Ritz Carlton only a few blocks away, I find the service appalling. It is no where near the RC, I would even say it is surpassed by many a Marriott I have stayed at. Not talking about the JWs, just plain old Marriott.
So my question is quite simple, what should I expect at a Grand Hyatt? Am I right in expecting a service level equivalent to the RC?
Old Oct 7, 2012, 3:07 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

What in the service is missing in your opinion to call it appalling?
Old Oct 7, 2012, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Maybe I am not completely tuned in to what the serice concept of a Grand Hyatt is. But considering that the price tag is equivalent to the Ritz Carlton only a few blocks away, I find the service appalling. It is no where near the RC, I would even say it is surpassed by many a Marriott I have stayed at. Not talking about the JWs, just plain old Marriott.
So my question is quite simple, what should I expect at a Grand Hyatt? Am I right in expecting a service level equivalent to the RC?
In my experience of stays in club rooms and suites I would rate the service I have received from good to excellent.

This is a hotel where club access transforms the experience. Did you have club access?
Old Oct 7, 2012, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Yes I have club access, and that is mainly what I compare to the Ritz Carlton experience. The club seems understaffed and overcrowded, more like a busy train station than a lounge at an upscale hotel. Mostly no one with time to welcome you to the lounge, and at evening time your own hunt for an available table.
The welcome by name, and the staff remembering how you take your coffee.... Still waiting for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.