Wiki Posts
Search

SAVANNAH Hyatt Regency or AVIA?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2012, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
SAVANNAH Hyatt Regency or AVIA?

Knock on wood, but it looks like I may be doing a lot of business in Savannah for the next year. Obviously I will try both out, but I was curious if anyone had any opinions on either. I have stayed at the Hyatt Regency before, but not the AVIA.

Second can I switch daily between the two and so I get nights rather than status through Stays? I would probably be there 3 nights every two weeks.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 4:36 pm

I think you meant status through stays, not nights. If so, then absolutely you can by hotel hopping! Just remember to pack light! Once you earn GP Diamond status you will receive free breakfast in the hotel restaurant since the AVIA does not have a club lounge. As a side note, the AVIA will soon be rebranded as an Andaz. I will be staying at the Avia for a week in June so if there is no other info by then I will report back.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 7:03 am
Used to be hamajicky

The Regency has nice views of the river, but the rooms are very dated and so is the lobby. I'd go so far as to say that the rooms are gross.

The AVIA is fairly new (maybe 3 years old?) and is much more modern feeling throughout. It's only two blocks from the river and is on Ellis Square, which has a bunch of restaurants and shops to check out.

My pick would be for the Avia. If you want river views, go to the bar on the top floor of the Bohemian Hotel (which is next to the Regency).
Old Jun 4, 2012, 11:21 am
Used to be hamajicky

Just got back from a 2 night stay at the AVIA Savannah. While probably nicer than the Regency, it's still not all that great in my opinion.

Here are my issues (stayed in a Grand Studio Suite):
1. Bad sound insulation--can hear all conversations in the hallway and lots of street noise.
2. The A/C unit is loud and right in front of the bed (at least in our room)
3. The bathroom lighting is not great
4. No decor at all in the bathroom
5. No separate toilet room in the bathroom
6. TV was wonky and took forever to tune a channel in
7. The self-promotion signs throughout the hotel seemed cheap and off-putting (like check out our sexy firepit, come see our fancy pool, have a drink at our luxurious bar)

The good stuff:
1. Toiletries are by Lather and are nice
2. Towels are good quality
3. Bed was comfortable
4. Minibar is not a complete ripoff

Other issues that were stay specific:
1. Someone else's breakfast charge appeared on my bill, but was easily taken off at checkout
2. Housekeeping knocked on my door at least twice between the hours of 8-10am, despite the do not disturb sign being out.
3. There was a gross stain on our red velvet couch

In Savannah, there are lots of options for hotels. I prefer the Bohemian or the Mansion, or even the Holiday Inn Express over the Avia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.