Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2014, 3:32 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

That has little to do with a property, more with "resort fees" themselves. It's just a way to make money, and a bad deal for nearly everybody... not just Diamonds.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 8:45 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/AA Platinum, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond
just checked in at HR Monterey, resort fee is $10 fot diamonds instead of the standard $20. Don't know if they'll waive that.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
A few other notes:

They have installed portable A/C units in all rooms while they are renovating/improving the A/C. Didn't need to turn it on in my room.

The spa (rebranded Marilyn Monroe Spa) and gift shop are now separately owned, so no GP points awarded. Knuckles sports bar and restaurant still controlled by the hotel. S'mores kits are available at the gift shop only for $15. Pools heated year round to 80 degrees.

Just finished a 3-night stay as part of a conference - at first we were reluctant to have it here because of the unknown ownership status, but I'll echo UAL747's comments about service. The staff has really put an emphasis on it, especially the lower-paid servers/housekeepers. I know it's their slow season, but when we called the operator, we didn't have to wait to be transferred to the right department, they took care of it themselves. Catering and AV staffs were always available, occasionally asking if they could be of service. One of the waitstaff even jumped in and re-designed our awards table when I was struggling with the layout. The workers' union contract is good thru 12/31/2015.

For our 100-person conference, probably at or near the top in service 20 years, and off-season rates are really good for conferences. Of course the sprawling layout makes it a walk to get around.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:59 am

Stayed one night last week as Diamond. Got a double queen. Room was OK but underwhelmed overall with the property. Not the most comfortable due to its layout.

Inquired about having breakfast at the restaurant instead of in the lounge and the Front Desk OK'd it. However, it felt like I had just ask them to give me the keys to the city. A simply No or Yes would have sufficed.

Was charged the $20 resort fee and also $5 forthe premium internet. Both were removed after protest.

The resort fee I simply inquired if there were any "Diamond discounts" but the $5 premium internet charge I had to get because the free one would log me out every few minutes.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:08 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Viajero Millero
However, it felt like I had just ask them to give me the keys to the city. A simply No or Yes would have sufficed.
So you're not happy while you got the restaurant for free and you didn't pay the resort fee.... Seems pretty generous to me.

Last edited by RTW1; Jan 28, 2015 at 5:21 am
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:38 am

Simple observations for future reference. Would not stay again.

(Breakfast was subpar, BTW...but free, like you say)
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Well this property is not for everyone but I love it. The layout is fine and I think compared to what most hyatt's would have done they were very generous. Expecting a simple yes or no.... I think you are being a bit too anal.

This is the Monterrey Bay Area not NYC.

Originally Posted by Viajero Millero
Stayed one night last week as Diamond. Got a double queen. Room was OK but underwhelmed overall with the property. Not the most comfortable due to its layout.

Inquired about having breakfast at the restaurant instead of in the lounge and the Front Desk OK'd it. However, it felt like I had just ask them to give me the keys to the city. A simply No or Yes would have sufficed.

Was charged the $20 resort fee and also $5 forthe premium internet. Both were removed after protest.

The resort fee I simply inquired if there were any "Diamond discounts" but the $5 premium internet charge I had to get because the free one would log me out every few minutes.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
Well this property is not for everyone but I love it. The layout is fine and I think compared to what most hyatt's would have done they were very generous. Expecting a simple yes or no.... I think you are being a bit too anal.

This is the Monterrey Bay Area not NYC.
And you think this Club is better than SFO
Old Jan 31, 2015, 11:17 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Where does he say that.... Comping breakfast in the restaurant and the resort fees is above what others do.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 2:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Compared to my recent stay at SFO, cold cheap salads...

YES!!!

Originally Posted by Maui4me1
And you think this Club is better than SFO
Old Mar 15, 2015, 11:25 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
I don't know that this club is better than HRSF Embarcadero, but after last night at Carmel Highlands, this is a refreshing change. Friendlier service, more activities, better room. Definitely not as good a view, but certainly more comfortable. Got upgraded to a King Suite too.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 12:24 am

Programs: AA explat,Adm Club,Priority Club, and all nonsense in my comic book mind.
Bit of an update here..I checked in today, and was advised as of this last weekend the club room is permanently closed. Apparently there has been pushback about it from people checking in. Breakfast of course will be comped in Tusca restaurant. Sad, kinda liked sitting outside weather permitting. This is a great place for getting away..
Old Apr 7, 2015, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by retirementdreams
Bit of an update here..I checked in today, and was advised as of this last weekend the club room is permanently closed. Apparently there has been pushback about it from people checking in. Breakfast of course will be comped in Tusca restaurant. Sad, kinda liked sitting outside weather permitting. This is a great place for getting away..
Thank you for the update. I had a plan to return with the lounge in mind for its quiet isolation in a "public space". I don't like having coworkers or clients (who are also hotel guests) in my room. I'll have to rethink.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 1:35 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Originally Posted by retirementdreams
Indeed, surprising news! It was not only a good spot for breakfast, but dessert as well! Given the size of this Hyatt Regency, this is a major disappointment! Interesting that the property website is still showing "Regency Club" rooms with access to the lounge: http://monterey.hyatt.com/en/hotel/r...ency-club.html [Edited to note that references to RC and rooms which offer RC access have apparently been scrubbed from the property website.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Apr 13, 2015 at 9:12 am Reason: To update property website references.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
I am sad that the club lounge is closed, it is a great way to get a good coffee and read FT while +1 is getting ready for breakfast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.