Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Seoul REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Seoul REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2015, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Stay notes:

- a VIP guest or important event must be here because two elevators are condoned off. Half of my floor is cordoned off with security.

- the parking lot is a waiting line mess (not a surprise on a Saturday night though)

- the room service burger was very well made. Perfect at medium and a good size.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

stay notes continued:

- The Lounge isn't going to WOW anyone with knowledge of upper tier hotel lounges from RC to MOs or even the better lounges in the Hyatt family.

What you're going to get is a space to have a pre-dinner cocktail with colleagues as I saw many travelers doing over the weekend. The dishes won't fill you up if you're set on a big meal but they will do their job - a light snack or bite. Best to come around 5:50pm to secure seats and get first crack at the light buffet.

- the cold grilled chicken thigh with green soba noodles was good

- One thing I would like is when I tell them my name upon departing my car that they bring my bags up (to the room) instead of putting them on the lobby floor.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quick stay notes before flying to OKA

- dump your car wherever you can put it. Line don't matter and don't bother with valet as this holiday weekend is just a horrible mess. It would help if they made more efficient use of their valet lot than doing 2 spaces per car.

- the 15th floor children's lounge is a good entertainment/babysitting area. I bet the staff draws straws on who's going to be there.

- GC always helps with special requests. They're as good as any concierge.
- HVAC is as icy cold as ever even with Seoul reaching 36 degrees Celsius and around 100 degrees Fahrenheit
- TV channels have improved in HD quality somewhat.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Paris brunch notes:

- lukewarm seems to be the theme for the brunch. Even the grilled items don't stay very hot for very long.
- the variety hasn't changed very much in the 7 years I've been going there and to stay competitive they should add more
- ingredients are still top quality though and the house was packed the gills
- they changed from Moet to Laurent Perrier champagne for the default champagne
-
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Recent stay notes:

I like the corner Deluxe King rooms but their HVAC systems are absolutely horrible. Putting it to 30 degrees Celsius doesn't help very much. They brought in a gas heater and I brought an electric space heater but I shouldn't have to use either in a 5 star hotel. The front door gets drafts from being near the emergency exits and when smokers leave it open.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 7:00 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb, Hilton Diamond
Anyone have a contact email for this hotel? Reached out to the email on their website and haven't heard back in 3 days. Debating on cancelling.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sohan
Anyone have a contact email for this hotel? Reached out to the email on their website and haven't heard back in 3 days. Debating on cancelling.
[email protected]

They're very quick to respond.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
[email protected]

They're very quick to respond.
Thanks! That did the trick, they did reply fairly quickly unlike the email on their website.

They're telling me it's 40k won per night extra to have a 2nd guest in the room. Is this normal policy? I've never had a hotel charge me to have a 2nd person in the room ever.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks! That did the trick, they did reply fairly quickly unlike the email on their website.

They're telling me it's 40k won per night extra to have a 2nd guest in the room. Is this normal policy? I've never had a hotel charge me to have a 2nd person in the room ever.
If you pay for 2 people in the reservation then that other person shouldn't be extra.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It appears that booking two guests vs. one does entail 40,000 won extra after checking on Hyatt.com.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
This is a fairly common practice in various parts of the world. I have encountered it at properties in Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Germany, Italy, and Singapore, and I certainly would not be surprised to see it in other countries as well, although in some countries it may vary by property (as I know it does in Japan).

You could also think of it as a discount for single occupancy.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
This is a fairly common practice in various parts of the world. I have encountered it at properties in Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Germany, Italy, and Singapore, and I certainly would not be surprised to see it in other countries as well, although in some countries it may vary by property (as I know it does in Japan).

You could also think of it as a discount for single occupancy.
It definitely must vary by property. I have been to all those countries and never experienced that before.

My searches are always 1 room, 1 person by default but I have never been asked to pay more for 2 people. I guess I will need to be more accurate with the searches moving forward so there are no surprises at check in.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 8:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
It definitely must vary by property. I have been to all those countries and never experienced that before.

My searches are always 1 room, 1 person by default but I have never been asked to pay more for 2 people. I guess I will need to be more accurate with the searches moving forward so there are no surprises at check in.
Just off the top of my head, there are always different rates for 1 or 2 persons at HR Tokyo, HR Osaka, GH Fukuoka, GH Incheon, GH Taipei, Hilton Nagoya, and HR Mainz, but never at HR Kyoto; can't remember the other Hyatts in Japan.

I wish the default search on Hyatt.com could be set for 2 adults, since there are always the 2 of us. Sometimes I'll be checking to see if my rates have come down and be pleasantly surprised, only to see that I forgot to set it for 2 adults.

There have been some posters who say they always only book for 1 person, and then bluster their way through if the hotel asks for an extra charge, but I personally can't imagine doing that.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PH Busan, PH Seoul doesn't matter 1 or 2 people. Comes out to the same price. You're definitely right about it not mattering for 1 vs. 2 for some properties.

Last edited by Aventine; Nov 30, 2015 at 9:54 pm
Old Dec 1, 2015, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On a separate note. I would be very curious to hear any stay experiences here since Mr. Slater took over in the summer. If it's gone downhill or gotten better from the previous regime.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.