Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt regency North Houston Intercontinental - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2002, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum

Need to spend one night at airport near Bush Intercontinental (layover on way to Hawaii) and was wondering what people thought of this property. It is a toss up between staying here or the Marriott attached to the terminal. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old Jul 23, 2002, 8:10 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond/3MM; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC
Both properties are fairly average, but the Marriott is on the airport premises. I've stayed more often at the Hyatt due to my Hyatt GP status, and have always had excellent service. They are about 2 miles further from the terminal than the Marriott, and offer a reliable shuttle service.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 9:52 am
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
I really like the Hyatt. Its service is very good and the rooms are designed very well for business travelers. The Marriott needs a renovation. It is slightly more convenient than the Hyatt, however. The Hyatt's restaurant is far better than the Marriott's.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 8:16 pm
In Memoriam

The Hyatt is a very good business class hotel. I have stayed at the Sheraton across the street and found that hotel to be quite bad. The Marriott does indeed have the best location but is dated. The tower is ok but avoid the circular outside rooms at all cost. I have always believed that the architect of the Marriott was on drugs. What was he thinking of when he designed it???
Old Jul 28, 2002, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum
I have stayed at the Sheraton across the street many times as a business event that I attend several times a year is held there. I have always been underwhelmed by the Sheraton. Good to hear that the Hyatt is better.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 11:13 am
Suspended

Any updates on this property, health club, restaurant, breakfast hours ?
( leaving IAH on UA @ 9 a.m. )

In addition to that, I found the nearest Barnes&Noble to be 45 miles away, is there any decent bookstore in the vicinity ?

Thanks in advance !!
Old Dec 28, 2004, 1:20 pm

B&N

There are closer bookstores in the Woodlands & downtown. However, convenience may warrant just visiting the airport bookstore or lounging at the hotel depending on what is your interest.

BTW, the Marriott is literally on the airport property. The Hyatt is a couple miles away by shuttle. If time to get to/from the gate is more important than other benefits (i.e. points), the Marriott is what I recommend to out of town visitors.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 1:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy Card, CO Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Amex Centurion and its perks...
Hyatt has Faster Free Nights: ENOUGH SAID,
Old Dec 30, 2004, 5:53 am

I stayed at the IAH Hyatt a few weeks ago. There is a recent thread on this if you do a search. Not exactly the nicest hotel.

Edited to add:

Here's the link
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135450

Last edited by Alysia; Dec 30, 2004 at 5:57 am
Old Feb 5, 2012, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
What goes around...comes around. A new Hyatt near the Houston IAH airport. This is a reflag. It was the Sofitel...then the crown Plaza....now it is the Hyatt North Houston. I stayed there a couple of years ago when it was a Crown Plaza...and it had been renovated since it's tired Sofitel days. It is in the Greenspoint Business district not far from the Hyatt Place.

http://northhouston.hyatt.com/hyatt/...xtCorporateId=
Old Feb 6, 2012, 4:12 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
YEA! An alternative to the Hyatt Place, which is hard to get to and has a penchant for walking elites... ...this property is much desired and needed!!!
Old Feb 7, 2012, 5:24 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
What happened to the old Hyatt Houston Airport? Reflag?
Old Feb 7, 2012, 7:10 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Originally Posted by Muerz
What happened to the old Hyatt Houston Airport? Reflag?
Hi Muerz!

On November 18, 2005, that converted to a DoubleTree Hotel. Hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Nick B.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:33 pm

Programs: SPG Gold-no diff than Plat, so who cares; Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, US CP
Hyatt North Houston - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Haven't seen any reviews yet for this former Crowne Plaza near IAH, so here goes.

New transition to Hyatt is in a good location near IAH but not in the closest hotel cluster. It's in the Greenbrier office area near Greenspoint Mall, which has seen better days. It is apparent Hyatt knows there are transition issues, but here goes:

The area is a bit shady. The Hyatt Place a block away has a gate with security entry. This hotel has a security guard who drives the lot in a golf cart. Personally I'm okay with that and felt safe, although I knew I was in for the night.

Check in was a little understaffed. As I walked up the clerk had to answer the phone from a guest and got stuck on the call for a little bit. She apologized and was nice enough. Just one clerk that I could spot at any time during check in rush hour.

Offered amenity card and about 30 seconds later was told "or points". I took the points.

I was told I was the first of 5 Diamonds to check in that day (it was about 6:15). Given a room on the 7th of 8 floors.

Room was very spacious and faced the inside lobby. A typical Hyatt room with a flat screen TV only slightly better picture than the one I had last night at Dearborn (that's another post somewhere on FT). Bathroom was a good size.

Service at the bar is fast and efficient and a nice lounge area in the lobby.

On the restaurant, I will just say I met the corporate executive chef on the elevator and let him know he has some work. He stated that was why he was there. I let him know the food was actually quite good, but service lousy. I waited 10 minutes before I waved down a server after being seated. I will credit him for comping my beer and bringing me a comped bowl of soup during my 35 minute wait for beef and broccoli. Unfortunately I saw many others who received the same experience while I sat there. Chef told me they had just let the old chef go and had a new chef, and asked me to give it one month and my experience would be different.

I will come back in a month or two and try again. It's not often you run into a corporate guy in the elevator who acknowledges the problem and commits to fixing it. He needs to because there are no optimal dining choices around.

3 1/2 out if 5 stars room
1 star F&B
2.5 overall with hopeful potential.
5 stars glad to have another full service Hyatt in town.

Last edited by tashworth; Apr 20, 2012 at 3:28 pm Reason: changed "coming" to "comping"
Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:43 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Thank you for posting the initial review for this property - I've linked this thread to the Property Index & Review sticky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.