Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Houston Downtown REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Houston Downtown REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2006, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Have all rooms been renovated here? Is the RC open now?
Old Jun 30, 2006, 7:55 pm

Programs: US-Chairman, Hyatt_Diamond
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Have all rooms been renovated here? Is the RC open now?
There is no Regency Club at the hotel. My room last week was adequate, not great. Think more like an AmeriSuites. As a Diamond, was given a voucher for the breakfast buffet..... sort of minimal, missed having toast and fress fruit. Its ok, just don't pay too much.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 2:40 pm

Programs: United 1k | Hyatt Diamond?, Marriott Platinum (Lifetime) | IHG Platinum | Avis Chairman
Somewhat off note, there is a restaurant called Ibiza a short cab ride from downtown. An excellent place, in the past 2 years and 8-9 trips to Houston, everyone included a trip there for food. Priced just right for an upscale meal without making squeeze the wallet like you do at Brennan's. Try the lamb and tuna - both are spectacular. Also their wine list is quite impressive...

Ibiza
2450 Louisiana St Ste 300
Houston, TX 77006-2380
Phone: (713) 524-0004

JIW
Old Jan 16, 2008, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
In the newspaper here, it said that this hotel will be undergoing a $35 million renovation. It also said that the hotel's owner is Starwood Capital
Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Originally Posted by Renard
In the newspaper here, it said that this hotel will be undergoing a $35 million renovation. It also said that the hotel's owner is Starwood Capital
Any mention of the dates for this renovation?
Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
I don't recall if there were dates mentioned. It was more of a 'blurb' in the business section of the chronicle than an article... so it was light on details.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 9:10 pm

Programs: Continental, US Air, Hyatt, Hilton, Starwood, RCL, NCL, Celebrity
Hyatt Houston Renovation

Hyatt is in process of being renovated, upgrading rooms - at least 2 floors under construction right now. All floors to be updated and a new Shulas steakhouse. Nice to have some choice downtown for dinner. Can't wait until the new rooms are available.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by JS Phoenix
Hyatt is in process of being renovated, upgrading rooms - at least 2 floors under construction right now. All floors to be updated and a new Shulas steakhouse. Nice to have some choice downtown for dinner. Can't wait until the new rooms are available.
Welcome to FT and Hyatt forum JS Phoenix! And thanks for the info. Do you know what floors are being renovated right now. I'll be in the H town in a couple of weeks and would like to know ahead of the time what floors to avoid. Also, is it a heavy construction or just interior work?
Old Feb 3, 2008, 4:45 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by todorovic
Welcome to FT and Hyatt forum JS Phoenix! And thanks for the info. Do you know what floors are being renovated right now. I'll be in the H town in a couple of weeks and would like to know ahead of the time what floors to avoid. Also, is it a heavy construction or just interior work?
Not sure on the exact floors, but it is probably somewhere around the 10th floor or so. I was there last week and stayed on 20 and could look down to see that they have screened off two floors below for construction. The business center was also moved to a temporary location. I didn't notice any noise at all and the notice said they were only working during the day.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 10:30 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Here is the article from hyatt.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE FOR INFORMATION
Anna Drake
Kaplan Public Relations
713-784-1077 / [email protected]
$35 Million Transformation Underway At Hyatt Regency Houston
Complete Makeover Includes Re-Designed Guestrooms,
Expanded Meeting Space, New Shula’s Steakhouse
HOUSTON, TX – (January 11, 2008) – Hyatt Regency Houston, a prominent landmark
in the downtown Houston skyline since 1972, announces plans for a comprehensive, $35-
million revitalization project to include the transformation of all 960 guestrooms, the
addition of new, high-tech meeting space and a Shula’s fine-dining steakhouse.
Starwood Capital Group LLC is responsible for the multi-million project, which is
expected to be completed in late-October 2008.
“The project is essentially a rebirth of this iconic downtown hotel,” said
Managing Director Steve Trent. “It’s especially timely given the new downtown
attractions currently underway at Discovery Green and Houston Pavilions.”
At the center of the transformation are new guestrooms designed with rich hues
of chocolate, silver, and beige. All rooms are fitted with the signature Hyatt Grand Bed
complete with a pillow-top mattress and three-part Comfort Support System. Long, sleek
work desks have been added with wall-mounted, plug-n-play consoles for Internet
connectivity. Dark wood furnishings, contemporary lighting and 32-inch high-definition,
flat panel televisions complete the new room style. Guestroom baths include a spacious,
walk-in shower, a glamorous, black marble-top vanity and matching black marble
flooring.
“The rooms are rich and warm and appeal to both the male and female traveler,”
said Trent. “This is a project that truly will transform Houston’s grande-dame into a
world-class hotel experience for corporate and leisure travelers alike.”
-moreThe
project also calls for the expansion of the hotel’s meeting space. Specifically,
30 guestrooms on the hotel’s sixth floor will be transformed into nine meeting rooms and
three high-tech boardrooms.
Additionally, Shula’s America’s Steakhouse will replace the hotel’s two existing
lobby level restaurants. The first of its kind in Texas, Shula’s will feature upscale,
steakhouse fare and is themed after the 1972 Miami Dolphins’ “Perfect Season” - the
only team in NFL history to finish a season undefeated. Spindletop, Houston’s only
revolving rooftop restaurant framing the downtown skyline, will continue to serve New
American cuisine.
Originally opened in 1972, Hyatt Regency Houston was the city’s first atriumstyle
hotel. Its long history includes hosting the Republican National Convention, the
Economic Summit and the World Energy Congress as well as the hotel’s signature event,
it’s annual New Year’s Eve celebration with balloon cascade at midnight.
About Hyatt Regency Houston
Located in the heart of downtown and boasting 977 guestrooms, Hyatt Regency Houston features
64,000 square feet of flexible function space including the 16,000 square foot Imperial Ballroom,
and the 28,000 square foot exhibit hall. Just steps from Houston’s Entertainment District and
Main Street, with Metro Light Rail, Hyatt Regency Houston is the place to stay whether traveling
for business or pleasure. Reservations may be obtained by calling 713-654-1234, or logging on
to www.hyattregencyhouston.com.
About Hyatt Corporation
Global Hyatt Corporation, one of the world’s premier hotel companies, offers today’s travelers
more than 750 hotels and resorts (more than 140,000 rooms) in 55 countries. The company’s
affiliates own, operate, manage and franchise Hyatt-branded hotels and resorts under Park
Hyatt™, Grand Hyatt™, Hyatt Regency™, Hyatt Resorts™, Hyatt®, Hyatt Place™ and Hyatt
Summerfield Suites™ brands, as well as the company’s newest global luxury brand, Andaz™,
which recently opened its first property in London in November 2007. Global Hyatt Corporation
is also the owner of Hyatt Vacation Ownership, Inc. operator of Hyatt Vacation Club and
fractional residential properties and U.S. Franchise Systems, Inc, which franchises Hawthorn
Suites and Microtel Inns and Suites. From the U.S. and Canada. Reservations for any Hyatt
hotel worldwide may be obtained by calling 1-800-233-1234, or logging on to www.hyatt.com.
# # #
Old Feb 3, 2008, 10:35 am

Thanks for the info guys.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 4:19 pm

Does anybody know if there are any new rooms available yet? Any chance to get these as a lowly gold (just missed plat last yr, should be able to make it this yr).

I'll be there next week and I'll post a little update on the renovations. Last november when I was there the breakfast area had been closed off for renovation (I'm guessing this is where the steakhouse is going to be?).

Will post if I get any news next week.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 6:15 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by stowaway
Does anybody know if there are any new rooms available yet? Any chance to get these as a lowly gold (just missed plat last yr, should be able to make it this yr).

I'll be there next week and I'll post a little update on the renovations. Last november when I was there the breakfast area had been closed off for renovation (I'm guessing this is where the steakhouse is going to be?).

Will post if I get any news next week.
Not sure if any rooms are done yet, I certainly didn't get one last week. The restaurant is reopened after the work in Nov/Dec when they were redoing the floor. It has not changed branding and is the same as before the work on the floor. Duck's Unlimited next door is closed.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 9:34 pm

latest on the renovations

Just checked and floors 10 & 11 are the first floors being refurbished. From what I hear they will look modern and much like the room type I have seen at the hyatt singapore with plasma's on the wall and a lot of wood finishing. They are taking out the baths and putting showers instead (at least that's what I hear). 10 & 11 should be done round the end of march and they will continue to work on following floors till the whole hotel is done. Quite a big job...

If you want to get a new room try to call ahead and ask for the rooms renovated in 2008 (when I checked in I didn't know that they weren't finished and asked for a renovated room. The lady at checking just said: that's what you have - turned out I got a room from the previous renovation...done in 1999!)
Old Feb 27, 2008, 2:10 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Street Parking?

Is free street parking an option at this property, overnight late Friday and into Saturday morning? When do the meters start up on Saturday?

Thx.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.