Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency New Orleans REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency New Orleans REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2012, 5:55 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by antonius66
First off, there was a bottle of Aquafina in the closet, on a tray with 2 glasses next to it. There was NO label, NO price tag, NOTHING to indicate the water was not complimentary (as MANY quality hotels provide 1 bottle of water free). We consumed this bottle to find out later it was not free.

Overall, the service was friendly, the room was decent (nothing great, but not bad), and the breakfast was very good. However, no attempt was even made or offered to remove the $4 for the water which was NOT labelled and even charged to the WRONG room, one mistake or bout of incompetence after another just really marred the stay. THEN, they charge me ANOTHER $8 for water I did NOT even use, and was NOT on the folio when I checked out, but was added later. We paid $340 plus taxes ($390 total) for 3 nights with 2 breakfasts, but honestly I would NOT stay here again after all that.
Oddly enough, I just dropped by this thread to *also* complain about something very similar. I was just checking my credit card bill and noticed that I had a mystery $4.36 charge from the Hyatt New Orleans, separate to the other charge. I phoned them up, and after spending twenty minutes on hold to talk to the accounting department I was told that it was for bottled water.

Leaving aside the ridiculousness of that price, I'm certain I didn't drink it. I didn't spend very much time in that room, I remember drinking some tap water in there, and I never drink mystery bottles of water in fancy hotel rooms unless they're clearly marked as complimentary [*cough* Sheraton *cough]. I'm fairly certain I never even *saw* a bottle of water in that hotel room, though. If they're in the closet, I probably didn't open it. I didn't see a minibar either.

Now, in the end the accounting lady was quite happy to reverse the bottled water charge, taking my word for it that I never drank it. But it's not right that I should have to spend twenty-five minutes of my own time getting my measly few bucks back, nor that I could quite easily have missed it if I weren't paying so much attention to my credit card statements.

Anyway, if you insist on staying at this hotel, or have recently done so, definitely check your credit card for phantom charges!
Old Jun 8, 2012, 5:39 pm

Well, they told me they would refund the water charges, but after 3 days I still have not seen the refund. I am hoping it is just taking a few days.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Just booked here for 4 nights in early December. I hope this is a good decision, as I usually stay at the Hilton Riverwalk.

Unfortunately it looks like the Loyola Streetcar completion has been delayed until late December. It will be nice when that's up and going...
Old Nov 19, 2012, 9:08 am
Used to be hamajicky

Just got back from a 2 night stay here. The property itself is nice and clean. However, for a place that just one year ago got a $280 million renovation, something isn't right.

The bads:
1. Our bedsheets had holes in them. Not little ones either, about the size of a quarter. Why they would give them to the maid to put on our bed is beyond me. Or why the maid would put them on a bed after having seen the holes, is just bad training.
2. The shower design in our standard king room is bad. Water leaked out all over the bathroom floor.
3. Soundproofing is terrible. You hear everything on the street, including music, sirens, jackhammering related to the delayed streetcar line, and saxophones from buskers, and we were on the 24th floor.
4. On Saturday morning, we left the room at 9am and requested that our room be made up. Got back to the room at noon, it had not been made up. The housekeeping manager stopped by (she was doing rounds) and we told her to please make up the room. We left and came back at 4pm, room was still not made up. It took 2 phone calls and a trip to the front desk to have the room made up. The front desk guy (very helpful) told us that a number of maids decided not to come to work that day and that was the reason for the delay.

The goods:
1. The elevators are cool.
2. The bathroom amenities are nice.
3. The TV system is good and actually has hi-def channels.
4. The restaurants look nice (even though the Starbucks has very limited hours).
5. The Regency Club has nice views, a good coffee machine, and a big screen iMac.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Thanks for the review - I'll be there on a week from Friday
Old Dec 2, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Anyone stayed here on a confirmed suite upgrade? Just curious what people have been getting... an executive suite?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, United Premier Gold
Originally Posted by bworrell
Anyone stayed here on a confirmed suite upgrade? Just curious what people have been getting... an executive suite?
I stayed there 2 nights before Thanksgiving on a Diamond Suite confirmed upgrade and got what was basically a Junior Suite much like a Hyatt Place room (one large room with sectional sofa and TV separating an area from the rest of the bedroom). It was very nice but I was disappointed since it was still one room. Turns out that was an amazing room compared to the regular (non-upgraded) room I got 4 days ago which was tiny and didn't have a coffee maker (the "Junior Suite" had a Keurig with Green Mountain K cups).

All other recent comments on this thread are accurate and led me to feel comfortable staying there.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
No coffee maker. No luggage rack.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 9:03 am

I just finished a 3 night stay (left early by one day to use up a Marriott free night certificate as I just didn't think the Hyatt was worth it.)

Overall it's a nicely renovated hotel. The location is a bit of an issue -- it's not too far to walk to the French Quarter or the CBD, but it's a bit of a pain. It will be a lot nicer once the trolley line is finished (everything is very torn up as they're really trying to finish it before the superbowl).

The "Executive Suite" that I used a confirmed suite upgrade on was a bit of a letdown. Not very large and we were disappointed. I checked the web site and the next available ("Deluxe Suite") was available for all for nights so I called down to ask if it was possible to be moved to that instead. The front desk person said they would be happy to but they were sold out. I pointed out that the web site said they were available so the front desk suggested I call the diamond line. The diamond line called the hotel and the person at the hotel said that the "Deluxe Suite" was indeed available, but it would be a $150/night up-charge. That turned into a bit of a fiasco since I was told that it wasn't available and we were told two different things by the front desk. It turned out it really wasn't available but left sort of a dishonest feeling for us.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
I stayed for one night 2 weeks ago.

Was impressed by the elevator system, how you swipe your keycard in the waiting area, it tells you which car will pick you up, and it's programmed to go to that floor. For the most part, you don't share elevators with others.

The multi-story windows and open space was nice.

Room was nice, except for the old bathtub, which was a holdover.

Club was worthwhile, grits for breakfast.

I paid for 'upgraded' internet access, up to 3 devices and faster speed. The speed was acceptable but not really fast.

I had pulled into the self-park lot next to the hotel which was covered with signs that said "hotel parking" - but it's not associated with the Hyatt. $27 for overnight.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 8:18 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I feel like I completely wasted a suite upgrade. Room was small and/or furniture was huge, creating a very cramped space.

Entry hallway is 17' long and 4' wide. Completely wasted space. Off the hallway is a closet containing all sorts of contraptions (chest-of-drawers, some cylindrical thing which might be a clothes hamper?, a bunch of pillows, etc.) with the net result that there's nowhere to hang any clothes in the closet.

Bathroom is 8' wide and 5' long. It contains a larger-than-normal shower and a larger-than-normal sink contraption. Room feels very cramped. Standing in the middle of the room, you can very easily touch a horizontal surface (wall, shower door, sink contraption) on all four sides without moving. Now THAT's a tiny space.

"Living room" measures 11 by 17 feet however it contains a huge sectional sofa, a couple of ottoman's and a normal-sized desk. Net result is that we cannot even roll our suitcase into the bedroom: we have to pick it up and lift it over the obstacle course. There is no coffee table or end table, nor would there be any room to put one, as the sectional sofa and desk take up more than half the floor space.

"Bedroom" measures 13 x 15 feet. There's room for the bed and a narrow footpath less than 2' wide along each side. There's nowhere to put anything, no drawers of any kind, and the closet is 35 to 40 feet away. We solved the problem by placing our suitcases on the large sectional sofa in the "living room". The sofa is the only flat surface in the room large enough to hold a suitcase (22" rollaboard size). There is no suitcase stand, which is fortunate because the room does not have enough open floor space to contain a stand.

The windows offer a panoramic view of nearby skyscrapers. Through a narrow channel between skyscrapers we can see the GNO Bridge in the distance.

I am "not" saying that it's a "bad" room. I'm just saying that it's very tiny and cramped. It's a total waste of a suite upgrade. There's no where to put anything and, other than the bed, no real place to actually "be" while in the room. Well, I suppose we "could" sit on the sectional sofa, but that's where our two suitcases are (because of nowhere else to put them: they won't fit in the closet and there's not enough open floor area anywhere else).

I've stayed in this same property on past occasions and was happy with the room. Yep, total waste of a suite upgrade. I might take some photos and post them later on.

Last edited by CloudCoder; Jan 12, 2013 at 8:26 am
Old Jan 25, 2013, 7:43 am

Had a great stay at the New Orleans Hyatt recently.

I am a Diamond member and received all the benefits free in-room internet, diamond amenity, 4 PM late checkout access to the Regency Club, and an upgrade to a room on the 27th floor (Regency Club Floor). Loved the Regency Club, and the views from the club.

Took a picture of the choices for the Diamond Amenity:

http://i.imgur.com/zQPqECf.jpg

Had a great stay at the hotel. Very friendly staff.

If you want an late checkout, double check that the check in staff keys your card so that you get a 4 PM checkout. Mine stopped working at noon, and they had to re-key the cards.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:56 pm

A diamond here. Does anyone know if you can get breakfast insted of the RC. Staying here next week for the SB.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
For all of you Super Bowl bound FT GP elites...

Let us know how you get from the hotel to the Superdome - do they open the rear doors to the Hyatt so you can walk straight over or do you have to go all the way back out to the lobby and go the long, long way around to get in.

David
Old Jan 27, 2013, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by bworrell
Ask for a suite with a view of the Superdome. My wife and I stayed several months back and was amazing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.