Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Check Certificates: International Properties where they are exchanged fairly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Check Certificates: International Properties where they are exchanged fairly

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2011, 11:36 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Greetings All,

I searched and couldn't find any devoted thread to this topic.
Thought it would be nice to have a thread listing of any international properties that care enough about their guest relationships
to exchange Hyatt Check Certificates at a fair and reasonable exchange rate.
I really think many would like to know the offenders or those that take advantage of their customers.
It shows me to some degree their honesty and integrity and how the indivdual property is going to treat guests overall
in all areas of the business relationship.

I have received a number of private emails from many Hyatt guests asking me for this information.
It’s a transaction I have never done before as my perception was one got fleeced by using these checks abroad.
Called Hyatt Consumer Affairs to shed some light and spoke with a senior agent experienced with many Hyatt procedures
They were absolutely clueless and confused as nice as they were on the phone.
Have faith in this community we will soon know which properties are playing fair.
That being said to start the ball rolling with just a few I am personally curious about

How have the following properties performed when converting these in the past?
• Park Hyatt Sydney
• Grand Hyatt Berlin
• Hyatt Churchill in London
• Grand Hyatt Hong Kong

If a focused thread exists elsewhere in this forum my apologies
Thanks to all for helping to create this focused and definitive list
Please do share!!!!
Cheers

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Aug 4, 2011 at 11:41 am
Old Aug 4, 2011, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
I used a large number of these at the Hyatt CDG last summer and the exchange rate was almost identical to that on my Mastercard. I thought it was very fair. Too bad I ran out of them.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I think there was quite a bit of discussion about which properties gave you a big "haircut" on exchange rates in the original Costco thread. While it didn't only talk about International properties, they were mentioned regularly.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...aid-rates.html

I also started a thread on MP in February on the subject.

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/...stco-etc.1551/

Bad Hyatts (10%+)

Park Hyatt when I used them last fall, were by far the worst property. About 15% if I recall right.

Mediocre Hyatts (6-10%)

BKK is pretty bad, usually in the 7-8% range.

GH Seoul 7-8%.

Good Hyatts (1-4%, plus properties that had to be persuaded)

GH Shenzhen is pretty good. I think usually 1.5% or so.

GH Bali, ended up giving normal rate, after offering rate, and then trying to increase it to 8%. Room was booked in USD.

GH Jakarta, ended up giving normal rate, after trying to pull a fast one. Room was booked in USD.

GH SIN was middling, I think it was close to 5%, but will put it in the okay category.

Excellent Hyatts (<1%)

PH Buenos Aires. Gave official rate.
Bali Hyatt. Gave official rate.
Kathmandu Hyatt. Gave official rate.

Most US locations are fine with these certs. Although some now try to disallow their use for corporate rates, AAA rates, etc. The worst that I've run into is the HP North Phoenix.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I think there was quite a bit of discussion about which properties gave you a big "haircut" on exchange rates in the original Costco thread. While it didn't only talk about International properties, they were mentioned regularly.

I also started a thread on MP in February on the subject.

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/...stco-etc.1551/

Bad Hyatts (10%+)

Park Hyatt when I used them last fall, were by far the worst property. About 15% if I recall right.
Mediocre Hyatts (6-10%)

BKK is pretty bad, usually in the 7-8% range.

GH Seoul 7-8%.

Good Hyatts (1-4%, plus properties that had to be persuaded)

GH Shenzhen is pretty good. I think usually 1.5% or so.

GH Bali, ended up giving normal rate, after offering rate, and then trying to increase it to 8%. Room was booked in USD.

GH Jakarta, ended up giving normal rate, after trying to pull a fast one. Room was booked in USD.

GH SIN was middling, I think it was close to 5%, but will put it in the okay category.

Excellent Hyatts (<1%)

PH Buenos Aires. Gave official rate.
Bali Hyatt. Gave official rate.
Kathmandu Hyatt. Gave official rate.

Most US locations are fine with these certs. Although some now try to disallow their use for corporate rates, AAA rates, etc. The worst that I've run into is the HP North Phoenix.
Thanks Jaimito Cartero for the generous feedback ^
When I started this thread I clearly had the intention of not wanting to research the bits of discusssion
on Hyatt Checks through the Costco thread which is now officially game over...........
I get these checks throughout the year through various loyalty partners and just thought many would appreciate the info
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:17 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I did not get a good rate at the Churchill, but that was some time ago.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Appreciate the information^
I am planning to avoid them except at Domestic properties
Old Aug 9, 2011, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat
Hyatt Regency Montreal gave 1:1 USD:CAD when CAD > USD!
Old Aug 9, 2011, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Grand Hyatt Hong Kong: I had superb treatment all around at this hotel, and this was a part of it. (Still need to write a review.) I asked if the rate could be pegged to what was in the newspaper the day I handed my cert across, and it was done. ^
Old Aug 9, 2011, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Firewind
Grand Hyatt Hong Kong: I had superb treatment all around at this hotel, and this was a part of it. (Still need to write a review.) I asked if the rate could be pegged to what was in the newspaper the day I handed my cert across, and it was done. ^
Thanks you made my night ^
Can't wait for your review.The past reviews here in the Hyatt forum are inconclusive.
Trip Advisor had comments such as dated overpriced hotel
to Flagship Crown Jewel of the chain.All over the map!

I have my first 4 nights booked there next year.
This marks the first time I won't be staying at the Conrad for all or some of the nights.
I considered the InterContinental too however I know that Hyatt full service hotels typically treats their Diamonds well but also those guests that travel with them.I am bringing two family members with me and have booked a second room
How are the rooms at the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong for an early tid bit?
Old Nov 24, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Anyone with experience at the Andaz Papagayo in Costa Rica? The Andaz Papagayo thread mentions it, but different posts confused the issue for me.

Last edited by Songer5; Nov 24, 2015 at 3:11 pm
Old Nov 26, 2015, 8:32 am

Would love a Wiki on this.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
The Park Hyatt in the Maldives bills in US dollars already, so it's perfect for there.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Songer5
Anyone with experience at the Andaz Papagayo in Costa Rica? The Andaz Papagayo thread mentions it, but different posts confused the issue for me.
No problems using them there in April.

Since they charge in USD, no conversion is necessary.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Take all Indonesian Hyatts off the Good List.

These no longer work well in Indonesia. You get hit with a 9-11% conversion rate, so not worth messing with.

Mainland China is a good place. Usually just a 1-1.5% FX hit.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
About a 10% markup when I used them at Andaz Tokyo last year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.