Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WASHINGTON DC: Hyatt Choices?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:43 am

thanks for the advice. being close to the airport would save me a rental car, but then will I need it anyway to get to/from the attractions?
Old Apr 30, 2015, 5:06 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Your tax dollars paid for the nicest Metro system in the nation.
Originally Posted by lewinr
thanks for the advice. being close to the airport would save me a rental car, but then will I need it anyway to get to/from the attractions?
Old Apr 30, 2015, 6:03 am

not my tax dollars.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 6:44 am

No. There's absolutely no need to rent a car in D.C. You don't even need one from DCA. DCA is a quick and inexpensive cab ride. My choice with three kids would be the Grand Hyatt as long as the renovations have been completed before your stay. I'd call to verify the completion date. It's near the National Mall and a short walk through the hotel to a Metro stop.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Agreed the mass transit system in DC is quite efficient.
Old May 1, 2015, 1:18 pm
Used to be " vincentppetty "

Programs: DL Platinum/1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium; Loews Platinum; GHA/Omni Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Andrea Waters
No. There's absolutely no need to rent a car in D.C. You don't even need one from DCA. DCA is a quick and inexpensive cab ride. My choice with three kids would be the Grand Hyatt as long as the renovations have been completed before your stay. I'd call to verify the completion date. It's near the National Mall and a short walk through the hotel to a Metro stop.
Agreed - the GH was very nice when we stayed there last year. The Grand Club had quite a nice selection of foods at all hours, and the customer service was amazing. A very short walk to several attractions, and you are right on top of a major metro station that allows for very easy access to the Smithsonian area.
Old May 21, 2015, 12:54 pm

Staying at the Grand Hyatt in mid-June, so checked about renovation completion which is scheduled for "early June". Their Starbucks will not be done until the end of June, though.
Old May 21, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I enjoyed my stay at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill when I was there in January. Its only a block from Capitol Hill and the Mall and the lounge was decent enough.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
*Bump*. I'm taking my mom and grown sister to DC in a couple of weeks and trying to decide between some hotels. We plan to do all the tourist stuff so would like to be close to the action but also save money. We will be there for a total of 5 days. However, only the Hyatt Regency Crystal City has P+C on Mon/Tues & all other hotels are $250+ so I'm stuck with that option. Note: I am NOT a Diamond so no free breakfast or anything which is a plus for doing a Hyatt Place.

For the first 3 nights, here's my choices:
1 - Hyatt Regency Crystal City - $80/night
2 - Hyatt Place Washington DC / US Capital - $119/night (breakfast)
3 - Hyatt Place Downtown / K Street - $189/night but 4.8k + $75 (P&C w/20% Hyatt points back & breakfast)
4 - Hyatt Regency Washington on Capital Hill - $130/night (BRG)

Last edited by cdancer20; Jun 2, 2015 at 7:50 am
Old Jun 2, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by cdancer20
*Bump*. I'm taking my mom and grown sister to DC in a couple of weeks and trying to decide between some hotels. We plan to do all the tourist stuff so would like to be close to the action but also save money. We will be there for a total of 5 days. However, only the Hyatt Regency Crystal City has P+C on Mon/Tues & all other hotels are $250+ so I'm stuck with that option. Note: I am NOT a Diamond so no free breakfast or anything which is a plus for doing a Hyatt Place.

For the first 3 nights, here's my choices:
1 - Hyatt Regency Crystal City - $80/night
2 - Hyatt Place Washington DC / US Capital - $119/night (breakfast)
3 - Hyatt Place Downtown / K Street - $189/night but 4.8k + $75 (P&C w/20% Hyatt points back & breakfast)
4 - Hyatt Regency Washington on Capital Hill - $130/night (BRG)
HRW on CH is 5 minutes walk to the national mall.
HP DC is a couple of metro stations away but not that far away.
HP K st is 5 minutes walk to the white house.
Crystal city is a 20-30 min train ride into town.

Really depends what you consider as "tourist stuff", because there are so many memorials and exhibitions to see.

You won't really be able to see much in two days so I suggest you figure out what you want to do.

If you want proximity, and bang for your buck I would chooce the HRW on CH. what you save from the HP K street it is enough to have a nice breakfast outside IMO. If you don't mind the travel, maybe 10 mins more, then consider the HP @ DC.

I can't say much about the location of the HP though as I've not stayed at either, but I am familiar with the other 3.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DHalltheway
HRW on CH is 5 minutes walk to the national mall.
HP DC is a couple of metro stations away but not that far away.
HP K st is 5 minutes walk to the white house.
Crystal city is a 20-30 min train ride into town.

Really depends what you consider as "tourist stuff", because there are so many memorials and exhibitions to see.

You won't really be able to see much in two days so I suggest you figure out what you want to do.

If you want proximity, and bang for your buck I would chooce the HRW on CH. what you save from the HP K street it is enough to have a nice breakfast outside IMO. If you don't mind the travel, maybe 10 mins more, then consider the HP @ DC.

I can't say much about the location of the HP though as I've not stayed at either, but I am familiar with the other 3.
Hi. Thanks for the response. We will be there for 5 days though. Well technically 4 days of "tourist" stuff so a bit of time. And if we did the Hyatt Place K Street, it would be on P&C rate and I have points to spare.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:50 am

Hi. Thanks for the response. We will be there for 5 days though. Well technically 4 days of "tourist" stuff so a bit of time. And if we did the Hyatt Place K Street, it would be on P&C rate and I have points to spare.
I was confused because it went from 5 days to Mon/Tues to 3 nights. If you are there for 5 days, It doesn't really matter where you stay IMO, just get the best bang for your buck in terms of location and amenities.

FWIW, I think the P+C you got is not a worth while ROI to me.

4.8K points to save $114+taxes. you are a shade below 3 cpp.

But this is just my 2 pennies worth.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:55 am

I was confused because it went from 5 days to Mon/Tues to 3 nights. If you are there for 5 days, It doesn't really matter where you stay IMO, just get the best bang for your buck in terms of location and amenities.

FWIW, I think the P+C you got is not a worth while ROI to me.

4.8K points to save $114+taxes. you are a shade below 3 cpp.

But this is just my 2 pennies worth.
Sorry if that was confusing. I'm there for 5 days but 2 of the days I'm limited to only Hyatt Regency Crystal City due to prices and availability on P&C rates. The other 3 nights are in question so I will probably have to move hotels.

I agree that the P&C is not worth the ROI to me either when I can stay at other hotels for such low prices. However I wanted to throw it in there due to proximity to everything.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 10:11 am

Sorry if that was confusing. I'm there for 5 days but 2 of the days I'm limited to only Hyatt Regency Crystal City due to prices and availability on P&C rates. The other 3 nights are in question so I will probably have to move hotels.

I agree that the P&C is not worth the ROI to me either when I can stay at other hotels for such low prices. However I wanted to throw it in there due to proximity to everything.
Since you don't have diamond, and unless there is a benefit to you moving, I would say stay put at crystal city.

The money you save you can cover your breakfast @ McD (yes I do eat there.) and metro fare to and from the city. HRCC's shuttle also takes you to and picks you up from the metro station when I was there earlier this year.

It isn't expensive to cab into DC from this hotel either, about $10-15 from HRCC to HRW.

Last edited by DHalltheway; Jun 2, 2015 at 10:21 am
Old Jun 2, 2015, 10:44 am

Since you don't have diamond, and unless there is a benefit to you moving, I would say stay put at crystal city.

The money you save you can cover your breakfast @ McD (yes I do eat there.) and metro fare to and from the city. HRCC's shuttle also takes you to and picks you up from the metro station when I was there earlier this year.

It isn't expensive to cab into DC from this hotel either, about $10-15 from HRCC to HRW.
Thanks. My SO pretty much suggested the same. It's about a $120 saving of Hyatt Place US Capital and now that I've decided to add another day onto a trip later this summer, I can use that $120. My family is simple and has no problem eating McDonalds every day!

Thanks for your help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.