Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Unbound Collection Santa Barbara (MarMonte) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unbound Collection Santa Barbara (MarMonte) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2012, 5:12 pm

Spent one night here last weekend and had a great experience. Used 12k chase points, booked morning of arrival. Very nice front desk staff who proactively offered an upgraded room (I have platinum) with a view. Room was still messy- when I went back to the desk they gave us a nice upgrade without asking.

Beautiful location, right across the street from the beach. Far to state street though (probably a good thing noise-wise).

Park on the street in the neighborhood around it- plenty of room and free overnite.

Nice happy hour in the pool from 5-7, $5 for 2 beers.

Overall we had a great time and will definitely return. Also, I did not see any construction happening so I suppose the renovations are complete.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by capitolm94
Spent one night here last weekend and had a great experience. Used 12k chase points, booked morning of arrival. Very nice front desk staff who proactively offered an upgraded room (I have platinum) with a view. Room was still messy- when I went back to the desk they gave us a nice upgrade without asking.

Beautiful location, right across the street from the beach. Far to state street though (probably a good thing noise-wise).

Park on the street in the neighborhood around it- plenty of room and free overnite.

Nice happy hour in the pool from 5-7, $5 for 2 beers.

Overall we had a great time and will definitely return. Also, I did not see any construction happening so I suppose the renovations are complete.
I had a similar, very nice stay here recently that I've been meaning to post about. I booked using my annual Hyatt CC free night and at check-in got upgraded to a fantastic suite. I had been reluctant to stay here after a poor stay mid-renovation where I was initally put in a renovated room that connected to a room with a screaming child in it and the only available room to move to was a pre-renovated monstrosity. But this post-renovated suite was absolutely perfect (although not huge for a suite) and has convinced me to start staying there regularly.

My only complaint about this property now is they don't allow Diamond suite upgrades using certs since they only have 4 suites.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Just spent 2 nights for anniversary here (1 using points, 1 using CC night). Had mentioned it was our anniversary on check-in, even though it was noted in the comments - Glad I did, as nice amenity showed up late afternoon (bottle of Canvas cab & cheese plate). Rec'd nice, quiet Partial OV upgrade as a lowly Platinum (rm 205). The south-facing beach meant we had afternoon sun, but the substantial noise from the wall A/C didn't bother us - there is a remote control for it.

Evening self-parking was full both nights, so we parked close to the entrance on the street. Told the front desk and they adjusted it off the bill each night.

The first impression of this hotel is hampered by the fact that the lobby area is small - it looked to be around 1000 sq. ft. Although the lobby decor is nice, with a small fireplace, & shared computer terminal, there's just no way to have an impact in that small a space. Any more than 3 people checking in at a time with luggage makes the lobby feel a bit crowded.

After check-in, we grabbed a free apple (oh, was that a lobby coffee-table centerpiece?) and crossed the street for an afternoon stroll along the beachfront sidewalk - a great attitude-adjuster after a 5 hour car trip. State Street/Stearns Wharf is about 1.25 miles and another 1/2 mile or so up State to get to the decent shopping/restaurant area. There is public transport. that leaves for downtown w/1 transfer every half hour.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by jumpdogjump
The first impression of this hotel is hampered by the fact that the lobby area is small - it looked to be around 1000 sq. ft. Although the lobby decor is nice, with a small fireplace, & shared computer terminal, there's just no way to have an impact in that small a space. Any more than 3 people checking in at a time with luggage makes the lobby feel a bit crowded.

After check-in, we grabbed a free apple.
After you wake up from your long sleep (ref. to apple )...

...Can you say if it's the "final" lobby? When I was there, it was pre-renovation, and the business center was separated by a door. I haven't kept up to know if the whole plan for the new lobby is completed. Thanks.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:58 am

Renovations are all done except for the spa (confirmed with front desk)
Old Oct 25, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Just spent 2 nights for anniversary here (1 using points, 1 using CC night). Had mentioned it was our anniversary on check-in, even though it was noted in the comments - Glad I did, as nice amenity showed up late afternoon (bottle of Canvas cab & cheese plate). Rec'd nice, quiet Partial OV upgrade as a lowly Platinum (rm 205). The south-facing beach meant we had afternoon sun, but the substantial noise from the wall A/C didn't bother us - there is a remote control for it.

Evening self-parking was full both nights, so we parked close to the entrance on the street. Told the front desk and they adjusted it off the bill each night.

After check-in, we grabbed a free apple (oh, was that a lobby coffee-table centerpiece?) and crossed the street for an afternoon stroll along the beachfront sidewalk - a great attitude-adjuster after a 5 hour car trip. State Street/Stearns Wharf is about 1.25 miles and another 1/2 mile or so up State to get to the decent shopping/restaurant area. There is public transport. that leaves for downtown w/1 transfer every half hour.
They charged you for parking? We stayed a couple weeks ago and parking was free for Platinums. Of course we got a crappy room so it balanced it out.

First we were given a room in the back building and told if we wanted to switch after seeing it, let them know. We asked to be moved and were given the first room off the elevator on the second floor in the main building with the lobby. There is about 20 feet of tile from the elevator to the carpeted hallway so when anyone rolled their luggage over it we could hear the thump thump thump. And, they were repairing the bathrooms in the same area taking out the tile. Not the best experience.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by skunker
They charged you for parking? We stayed a couple weeks ago and parking was free for Platinums. Of course we got a crappy room so it balanced it out.

First we were given a room in the back building and told if we wanted to switch after seeing it, let them know. We asked to be moved and were given the first room off the elevator on the second floor in the main building with the lobby. There is about 20 feet of tile from the elevator to the carpeted hallway so when anyone rolled their luggage over it we could hear the thump thump thump. And, they were repairing the bathrooms in the same area taking out the tile. Not the best experience.
Hmm - for all statuses (stati?), parking is $15 self, $20 valet, unless lots are full. Next time we go, maybe I'll play the "...but I'm a friend of Skunker" card...
Old Oct 29, 2012, 1:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt&Hilton&BW Diamond,GHA Black,Marriott Plat,SPG Gold,AB Platinum,TK Elite,AZ Alata Plus,EY Gold
When you are there during off-season, you will have enough parking space around.
During high season, forget about searching and wasting your time.
At least my experience.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 4:52 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Hmm - for all statuses (stati?), parking is $15 self, $20 valet, unless lots are full. Next time we go, maybe I'll play the "...but I'm a friend of Skunker" card...
I don't know, but the guy next to me was given free parking at check-in as well. I assumed it was because he was on a corporate rate or something but then my desk agent said I had free parking because of my (lowly) platinum status.

Maybe it had something to do with initially being put in the back building.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 2:05 pm

Had no problem finding a spot on the street closer to my room than the official lot last time I was there, though it was in September. There are quite a few streets to park on and its not right next to state street, so shouldnt be too bad.
Old May 15, 2013, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by musikdude
I just tried to book a Fri/Sat (2 night) stay for a weekend in August with points. Would not let me book online but instead I was "forced" to book a Fri/Sat/Sun (3 night) stay and that worked. I only wanted the 2 nights and they seem to be available via a paid stay on the dates I wanted. What gives?
Can they make me have a 3 night minimum stay on a points stay?
Can't I just now call GP and take off the one night I do not want from my reservation??
Originally Posted by oc2005
Some properties do this to make it seem like there isn't award availability from time to time (Maui, PH Vendome). I've never had a problem removing nights from an award reservation by calling GP.
Has anyone had any recent luck addressing this issue? I am having the same problem

Last edited by dedkends; May 15, 2013 at 7:25 pm Reason: found issue upthread
Old Jun 28, 2013, 7:50 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I stayed here for 3 nights in May and loved it. The setting couldn't be nicer...across from the ocean, nice views. The staff was great. The lobby is small, but I don't spend a lot of time in the lobby. My room was amazing...2 room suite, with fridge and espresso machine, large bathroom, old fashioned standalone tub and modern shower. I used room service a couple times, it was fast and good. The hotel breakfast is a little pricey, but there's a great place for breakfast directly across the street on the beach. I parked on the street virtually outside my door. I would go back there in a heartbeat.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
Originally Posted by jcresq
I stayed here for 3 nights in May and loved it. The setting couldn't be nicer...across from the ocean, nice views. The staff was great. The lobby is small, but I don't spend a lot of time in the lobby. My room was amazing...2 room suite, with fridge and espresso machine, large bathroom, old fashioned standalone tub and modern shower. I used room service a couple times, it was fast and good. The hotel breakfast is a little pricey, but there's a great place for breakfast directly across the street on the beach. I parked on the street virtually outside my door. I would go back there in a heartbeat.
Wasn't breakfast free as you are Diamond?
Old Oct 28, 2013, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA, US, AA, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, & PC
anyone update on this location?
Old Oct 28, 2013, 9:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by devastor
anyone update on this location?
Anything you want to know in particular? Here are some general observations from my 20+ nights this year, including a stay as recent as last week.

It's an ok property but more due to service and location than the physical property. The location is great -- very close to some great restaurants (I highly recommend Sakana Sushi and Cava in Montecito and Los Agaves on Milpas) and a beautiful 25 minute walk to the pier.

As a Diamond, I typically get upgraded to a room with a nice ocean view, but the rooms can be very tiny. I enjoy the giant stack of newspapers they give me each morning and the free breakfast buffet for Diamonds is consistently good, though nothing specacular. They used to give me free self parking as a Diamond but the last 2 trips they have not, which I wonder might be related to the recent change in ownership.

My biggest complaints are:
1. It still feels like a converted motel in terms of the parking situation/hotel structure.
2. The rooms don't have great sound proofing and can be a bit noisy including the ancient in wall hvac units
3. The rooms are typically tiny
4. The renovations were somewhat limited based on the historical nature of the hotel (or so the people working there have told me), so they couldn't address # 2 and # 3.
5. And #3 is also compounded by the fact you can't use Diamond suite upgrades here, since they only have 3 or 4 suites. They did upgrade me to a suite once which was fantastic (though only for 1 night), but in general the rooms are very small.

Although I love the location, I really stay here 99% due to the fact it's a Hyatt and the rates tend to be reasonable for the area (typically about $160+ a night or so, and occaisonally less with BRG). It's really a 3 to 3.5 star property in my book, and can't improve too much beyond that without a much more major renovation or rebuild.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.