Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt House Charlotte Airport, NC - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2010, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, GPP Silver

I had my first stay at a Summerfield Suites this week in Charlotte, NC for one night and I was very happy with the experience.

Check-in / Lobby:
Front desk was very welcoming and pleasant and accomdated my request for a top floor room. Lobby was large and open with plenty of seating. I did however miss the evening social. Rear of lobby opened to pool area and hot tub which were closed for winter. Breakfast the following morning was well stocked and pretty good - bacon, eggs, toast, cereal, fruit, ect. (although I suspect the hot offerings change throughout the week).

Room:
My room had living area with seperate bedroom. Living area has flat screen tv ~ maybe 32", desk, sofa, coffee table, and kitchen area. Bedroom was spacious with older tube tv, and very comfortable king bed. I am use to the excellent HP beds and I actually found the SS bed to be more comfortable. Bath was standard with but with a foot lower ceiling than the rest of the rooms. The kitchen is a big plus IMHO, especially if one is on an extended stay vs. my one nighter. Everything one needs including dishes, pots, pans, salt/pepper, paper towels, dishwasher..... Wi-fi signal in room was strong and consistent.

Business Center / Gym:
I noticed the business center but did not use it. It appeared to have a least two computer work stations with printers and plenty of desk space. Again, I did not use the gym, but it appeared well equipped.

The location of this property is very central. Its located on Tryon St. about half way between the airport and downtown just off I-77. Parking is free and it appears to be a fairly safe area.

Overall a terrfic stay at a pre-paid rate of $81. I will return to this property in the future.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 8:16 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
I've had mixed experiences here.

First time staying, the sheet in the bedroom was threadbare and covered with lint balls, the television in the bedroom was broken and literally shot out sparks when you tried to turn it on, and the dishwasher was broken and would not drain water. Internet was terribly slow.

Second time staying here was pretty uneventful but matched your experience though internet was still terribly slow (see thread I started on internet).

Third time staying here was riddled with problems. Dishes in the cabinet were filthy as if someone had used them and then simply put them back. Called down immediately to request another room but could not be given one due to being pretty full. The television in the bedroom took two tries each time to get it to come on and the entire left side was horribly discolored. The internet was terribly slow and then went completely down for six hours necessitating a technician to come out from their service provider and fix it. When it came back up it was much faster, so it was obviously an ongoing problem in the hotel's network. Housekeeping knocked on the door multiple times the next morning despite a do not disturb sign being placed outside. This was my most recent and by far worst stay at this property.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 3:11 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Will try to get pictures uploaded here pretty soon, but this hotel seems to have partially renovated and then ran out of money. No two rooms here seem to be alike (different stove tops, furniture, hvac controls, etc). Even the bedding can vary based on the room as a few rooms have a nice mattress topper and other rooms just have a very thin piece of cloth between the mattress and the fitted sheet.

On my most recent stay a few days ago, the door to the closet in the bedroom was completely missing and the microwave was broken. WiFi signal on the fifth floor near the elevators was very weak.

Hopefully Hyatt has plans to bring back a full service property to the Charlotte area soon since the former property rebranded to a Renaissance. While there is not a lot going on in the tourism sector, Charlotte is a sizeable city with a significant amount of business travel, and a full service Hyatt would bid well here especially considering that there are such properties in locales such as Greenville, SC and Albuquerque, NM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 9:43 pm

Programs: Don't you know who I am????
Five story converted Summerfield property tucked in between a Marriott, a train line and a residential area.

Stayed here for a day last year and decided to try my luck this year. Unfortunatly the hard product here seems to be in decline. Halllways have scuffed walls, stained carpets and a general lack of detail upkeep. Room had fresh wall vinyl in the bathroom and two flat screen LCDs, but otherwise was unremarkable for this concept. Room carpets were stained and the HVAC wall units had new wall mount thermostats, but still required use of the half disassembled internal controls to control the fan. Nice desk chair and TV bookcase, but other hard surfaces were well worn.

A few HHs I have stayed at had pretty decent light evening meals, unfortunately this was not one of them on the night I stayed. Feature was a taco bar, but there were no taco shells? Food was acceptable, but not exceptionally maintained. Overheard was some grumbling that the beer taps were not working correctly and it was taking 2-3 minutes for a 10 ounce beer, and as for the generic red wine served from an unmarked carafe, well, it poured well I assume. There are so many decent, though predicatable and inexpensive reds from Austraila, Chili, and Spain available in bulk packaging I just don’t understand why a property wouldn’t spend the extra couple of bucks a DAY and advertise serving a branded product guests would appreciate.

Nothing is terrible, but I’ll take any Hyatt Place over this property. Come on Hyatt, develop a FS property here. Planned on staying the week, but I’m checking out tomorrow for greener pastures. If you can get this for a decent price it is OK, but just.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Stayed here last month (7/2013) on the way to Hilton Head Island. It's conveniently located right off I-77 south of town. I would describe the surrounding neighborhood as slightly sketchy but nothing too bad.

Paid an $89 rate for a regular King suite and was mildly impressed. I think I like the Hyatt Place setup better, but we got a big, clean room with separate bedroom and living room. Did not use the kitchen at all, but it was serviceable.

Outdoor pool next to what appeared to be the "smoking patio." Given that this is NC, people chain smoking out there all night. This was a slight negative.

Breakfast in the morning was Hyatt Place-grade but did not feature the sandwiches I know and love at the HPs. Breakfast was overrun with kids and families (not surprising).

Check-in and check-out were both very speedy.

I would likely stay here again, and nothing was bad necessarily, but I believe next time I'm through CLT I will stay at the Courtyard Billy Graham Parkway, which is right off 77 too, plus there is easy access to the LYNX station. HH is not close enough to the LYNX.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report - 9/30 - 10/1

Location: The hotel is located on Tryon Street (NC-49) just off Interstate 77. You're about 4 miles south of the good restaurant and bar areas in Charlotte and 6 miles from downtown. The hotel is actually a little farther away from the airport than its name indicates (7.5 miles). There isn't much around the hotel but a few other properties and gas stations. Do note that despite what Google Maps tells you you have to turn right onto Tryon from the hotel.

Hotel: The hotel is a converted Summerfield Suites but the conversion looks pretty good. The parking lot is a little small but the lobby area is large and spacious with a decent sized bar. Outside is a nice fire pit area and pool and there's also a small fitness center. The hotel is a big property, however, and there are only two elevators so there can be some long walks.

Check In: Handled by an enthusiastic agent who told me I was about to stay at the best Hyatt I'd ever been to, i liked his spirit. No Explorist recognition but I don't think these properties do that.

Room: Pretty decent. Very large kitchenette and comfortable living room and a decent sized bedroom. The bathroom was also quite nice with a really nice shower. However, the room had not been properly serviced and I found the previous guests leftovers in the fridge.

Breakfast: A very good spread. Eggs, potatoes, sausage, surprisingly good pancakes, fruit, yogurt, breads and really good coffee.

Security Issue: I had an unfortunate incident at this hotel. When I got back to my room at 9 AM after breakfast, my key didn't work. I went back downstairs and someone I think who was a manager was at the desk. I said I needed a new key and he asked for my room number. I said it was 530 and he gave me a key. I wasn't asked my name, I wasn't asked for ID. That scares me and makes me unsure if I want to come back to the hotel despite the low weekend rates.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 10:43 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I stayed here 6/25 to 6/26. The hotel is pretty similar to how it was four years ago though a little more dingy due to the age. The lighting, especially in the hallways and common areas, is pretty dim. Front desk staff were very friendly and helpful too. They were doing some breakfast but I left before it started. Their airport shuttle is running though.

The room was decent enough especially better than the Hyatt Places by the airport.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally had a handful of nights booked here for around $75 a night (grabbing some cheap EQN).

Room was extremely dated, dark and subpar. Common areas were dingy with walls and carpets worn.

Only stayed one night. The surrounding area is bad.

One weird thing — none of the employees had uniforms or name tags. Had people cleaning rooms or preparing breakfast in street clothes. Everyone was pleasant though.

Would caution against staying here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.