Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Recent Hotwire $30 discount reservation got canceled for no reason.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:14 am
yus
Original Poster

Yesterday I received a refund for my booking and the reservation was cancelled.
They did not even bother to send me an email about the cancellation
Please check that your reservations are intact
Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:31 am

Mine are fine. Don't see any reason why they would be cancelled.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yus
Yesterday I received a refund for my booking and the reservation was cancelled.
They did not even bother to send me an email about the cancellation
Please check that your reservations are intact
Have you contacted them? Sounds odd. This wasn't a too-good-to-be-true offer. Did you make multiple reservations on different accounts? I think I recall there was a limit of one. Could that be a possible explanation?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:38 am
yus
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iahphx
Have you contacted them? Sounds odd. This wasn't a too-good-to-be-true offer. Did you make multiple reservations on different accounts? I think I recall there was a limit of one. Could that be a possible explanation?
Yes I did several reservations with different credit cards and different email addresses. There was no TC at all, so I figured why not.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yus
Yes I did several reservations with different credit cards and different email addresses. There was no TC at all, so I figured why not.
I'm guessing that's why your reservation got cancelled. When you start gaming promos like that, all bets are off. Win some, lose some.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:33 am
yus
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iahphx
I'm guessing that's why your reservation got cancelled. When you start gaming promos like that, all bets are off. Win some, lose some.
The reason could be that I called them and asked to cancel one hotel, because they gave incorrect details on the booking page, the TripAdvisor ratings they presented where much higher then actual ratings, but they refused to cancel .
Couple of hours later I received refunds for all bookings.
Actually I am very satisfied with them canceling all these bookings. The only thing I don't understand why they did not send cancellation emails
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yus
The reason could be that I called them and asked to cancel one hotel, because they gave incorrect details on the booking page, the TripAdvisor ratings they presented where much higher then actual ratings, but they refused to cancel .
Actually I am very satisfied with them canceling all these bookings. The only thing I don't understand why they did not send cancellation emails
Ah, so it's a good thing.

Quite troubling that they gave wrong tripadvisor ratings, though. One of the things that's always held be back from using the opaque services is that you often get the worst hotel in the class: aka, the "weakest" 3 or 4 star. The tripadvisor info gives you confidence that you're not going to get a dump. If those are wrong, it's troubling -- and definitely grounds for a refund. I guess I'll now take a screen shot before I book.

I did make one reservation under this promo -- first time I've booked with hotwire in over a year -- and I did get what they promised.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:22 pm

Haha OK, so no it exactly cancelled without reason. OK and its good you were no it too fussed.

The OTAs have got quite sophisticated at spotting code abuse
Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:03 pm

Not sure whether you mean the star rating or the property review average rating was different but on the properties I booked and the ones I looked at both were different in some cases. I notice some properties are listed as different star ratings on different sites so I am not sure whether there is an "offiicial" rating or not that they are supposed to be publishing. The property I booked was 3.5 stars category on TA and Hotline listed it as four stars (which I was happy about because it made it eligible for the discount.) In other cases I have seen as much as a star and a half difference. And as far as the review averages go, I don't think they are updated real time so I think they can legitimately change from the time the properties were listed.

Anyway bottom line this was a decent deal and made some people like me, who would never otherwise touch Hotwire, try it out so I guess it was good marketing for their thirty bucks. But I have to say I would never use it again unless they have another promo, and the rates are worth the hassle, and I am pretty sure what property I am getting.

Originally Posted by yus
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:38 am
yus
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gil123
And as far as the review averages go, I don't think they are updated real time so I think they can legitimately change from the time the properties were listed. I have to say I would never use it again unless they have another promo, and the rates are worth the hassle, and I am pretty sure what property I am getting.
I am not referring to the star rating, which was 4 stars on every web site I checked including Hotwire, but to TripAdvisor review averages rating, which was 2.5 instead of 3.5. I would not touch hotel with 2.5 reviews rating.
After the booking I checked different web sites, such as Expedia for the same hotel and their TripAdvisor review averages rating was correct.
I don't think I will use them again even with coupon, because I was happy only with one reservation. So unless I will be CONFIDENT which hotel it will be I will not use them again, unless they give a hotel for free
Originally Posted by telabadmanwot
Haha OK, so no it exactly cancelled without reason. OK and its good you were no it too fussed.
The OTAs have got quite sophisticated at spotting code abuse
I am not sure it is related to my calls, because I called twice and they did not agree to cancel the reservation. Maybe they canceled because they were loosing money on all bookings.
In this particular case I am really happy I abused this code, otherwise they would not cancel my reservation for 2 nights in this dreadful hotel.
You win some, you lose some, but in this case I am not sure who is the winner .
I just wanted to warn you guys who did these promo reservations to check your actual reservation online, because they did not send me cancellation emails

Last edited by yus; Mar 4, 2015 at 12:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.