Hotel Chain Best Rate Guarantee DEATH MATCH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Chain Best Rate Guarantee DEATH MATCH

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Just wanted to chime in and note that RAMPANT incompetence at the Choice Hotels Best Rate Guarantee desk has taken it down a few notches. Those people are CLUEless. Got it approved but had to call in. At least they had someone knowledgeable to speak to!

Also had bad experiences recently with Melia and NH.

And as usual Hyatt's insistence on excluding "membership" sites still makes absolutely NO sense.

Bottom line — Marriott and IHG are the strongest in this field right now.

Last edited by stvr; Apr 1, 2015 at 6:36 pm
Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
I also failed to mention that Best Western and Ritz Carlton have strong guarantees now that are unmentioned in the OP. Haven't tried them yet but am curious.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 3:57 am

Programs: SkyTeam Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Choicehotel BRG is horrible; they had the hotel change their rates on Booking.com, then emailed me that the price on their site was the same as on Booking.com. Well, not when I submitted it...
Old Apr 2, 2015, 5:54 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Swissotel (not sure about Fairmont) gives the first night at 50% off lower rate. I've used this in Beijing and Sydney. Claims seem to get forwarded to the hotel directly. While this may cause a delay, it also means you have the chance to 'discuss' your claim directly with the hotel, which is much more likely to bend than a central desk that deals with claims.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by stvr
I also failed to mention that Best Western and Ritz Carlton have strong guarantees now that are unmentioned in the OP. Haven't tried them yet but am curious.
Just scored a great BRG rate at the Ritz Carlton Battery Park NYC: USD 167 instead of USD 395 in august.

I was a fan of the Hyatt BRG (that and their Status Challenges saved me hundreds of dollars)... but now it's just a joke...
Old Apr 7, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
Could OP update SPG to reflect they now offer 20% off instead of 10%?

Also, to those who BRG at Ritzs, do you submit your claim through the normal Marriott channel or is there a separate one?
Old Apr 7, 2015, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by drewp123
Could OP update SPG to reflect they now offer 20% off instead of 10%?

Also, to those who BRG at Ritzs, do you submit your claim through the normal Marriott channel or is there a separate one?
I clicked on the claim form on the RC website, and it opened the classic Marriott BRG claim form. Applied there. They answered in a few hours.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Will update OP a little today.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: N/A
Is there a link or thread for best practices or tips/sites for utilizing this process?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by stvr
I9. La Quinta/Four Seasons/Fairmont/Ritz-Carlton: F (0% off)
No meaningful BRG program. No reason to book with them on their own website if a competitor has it cheaper. (Hint: this means a competitor will have it cheaper.)

Feel free to quibble and disagree. Just my thoughts...
I'm told that "La Quinta" translates to "next to a Denny's".
Old Jul 17, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: AA, BA, DL, SPG and Marriott
Thank you for submitting a claim for Marriott's Look No Further(SM) Best Rate Guarantee. We received a claim from you for the following reservation:

Hotel: Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
Arrival Date: August 28, 2015
Reservation Confirmation Number:

We have reviewed your claim and have made the following modification to your reservation:

Rate: $155.69

Marriott website shows $209.

room77 then easy to book was $208.98.

https://www.room77.com/?ian=47718383...honolulu,HI,US
Old Jul 18, 2015, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Bullfighting is the only art in which the artist is in danger of death and in which the degree of brilliance in the performance is left to the fighter's honor.

-Hemingway

Getting a BRG on a 2 cent difference is a bit like stabbing the bull in the first minute. But kudos.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by 91lsc
Thank you for submitting a claim for Marriott's Look No Further(SM) Best Rate Guarantee. We received a claim from you for the following reservation:

Hotel: Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
Arrival Date: August 28, 2015
Reservation Confirmation Number:

We have reviewed your claim and have made the following modification to your reservation:

Rate: $155.69

Marriott website shows $209.

room77 then easy to book was $208.98.

https://www.room77.com/?ian=47718383...honolulu,HI,US
Wow that's crazy. I should stay at marriotts more often!
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Interesting post about SPG response times going up:

http://loyaltylobby.com/2015/07/28/w...ut-of-control/
Old Aug 10, 2015, 3:07 pm

Just thought I'd chip in with my recent experiences:

Good - Best Western
Got a price matched and $100 gift card fairly easily when matching a rate for a hotel in North of England

Bad - HostelBookers
Offer to match a price + double the difference. Denied a claim by saying the rate on the competitor website was different (hotels.com) I pointed out it was cheaper so still valid, then they said their booking is refundable and hotels.com wasn't. I pointed out their booking wasn't refundable, so was given a 3rd excuse. Useless!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.