Discover America: Daily Getaways 2013 from 6/10 to 7/12

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discover America: Daily Getaways 2013 from 6/10 to 7/12

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2013, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by CalItalian
My 300K rewards points purchase posted sometime in the afternoon on Wednesday, July 3rd. MUCH quicker this year...Friday, June 28 purchase to Wednesday, July 3 posting.

Jul 3, 2013 Other IHG RWDS CLUB BONUS POINTS 300,000 pts.
yeah, i checked my account on the 3rd- nothing. was doing something else and decided to look yesterday- expecting the same because of the holiday- nope: my 100,000 were there.

VERY happy i checked because i immediately booked 17 nights PB intercontinental. every day of july/aug was still available at this hotel when i booked yesterday afternoon and today.... gone from the PB list. whew! quite the deal.

with the package still available, i am tempted to speculate and buy another 100,000 in anticipation of the next PB list. yeah, there is the cash and points trick- but the difference between $567 and $700 is nearly 20%. and for stays in asia, it seems basic platinum often gets you upgraded- at least that's my hope. nonetheless, $28.35 all in for an IC is a steal.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
So they are selling this Hertz package next week:

"Purchase 5,000 Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® points for $280 and redeem for a 1-week rental of a standard vehicle.
What You Receive: 5,000 points deposited to your Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® account."

Among the terms and conditions, it states:
"Subject to availability, this offer is redeemable at select Hertz locations in the U.S. and Canada."

I'm trying to ascertain the value of this offer but it wouldn't be as valuable if I'm restricted to where I can redeem these points. Besides if they are crediting Hertz points into my account, how can they enforce where I can redeem those points?

Last edited by MVF Trekker; Jul 5, 2013 at 10:42 pm
Old Jul 6, 2013, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
National rarely has competitive car rental rates where I am renting, compared to their off-budget red-headed stepchild, Alamo (especially since that $25 DG voucher for $50 helps out quite often ). Hertz has been beating them as well this year thanks to XCT1. If I was playing with OPM maybe National would work, but I typically am not, and the bennies/extra miles/etc. rarely pencil out.
If you're willing to play the code game (see National code thread), National's rates are very competitive -- often cheaper than sister company Alamo when you throw in a coupon (Alamo's coupons tend to be more restrictive). I only bought 2 Alamo certs this year because I found I didn't need them and, obviously, prefer my Executive Selection service at the Emerald Club. I've found I can only get a materially better deal at Alamo once every, say, 6 or 7 rentals. This is particularly true when you factor in the real value of National's frequent renter program. (I get a free one-way day for every 6 rentals, and often there's a bonus program in effect, too).

Originally Posted by MVF Trekker
So they are selling this Hertz package next week:

"Purchase 5,000 Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® points for $280 and redeem for a 1-week rental of a standard vehicle.
What You Receive: 5,000 points deposited to your Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® account."

Among the terms and conditions, it states:
"Subject to availability, this offer is redeemable at select Hertz locations in the U.S. and Canada."

I'm trying to ascertain the value of this offer but it wouldn't be as valuable if I'm restricted to where I can redeem these points. Besides if they are crediting Hertz points into my account, how can they enforce where I can redeem those points?
You're just buying points. Use them any way you like. The value is pretty decent, but restrictions on using them overseas (manual cars in Europe, for example) make them less useful. They do also have some black-out periods that require double points, but these are fairly rare. That said, if you need a car in a major market, 4 out of 5 times you'll do better with codes than with Hertz points. If you need a car for a long weekend in Billings, MT over the 4th of July, Hertz points can save you some money at the Discover America prices.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: KLM Gold, DL Silver
IHG posted about three days ago, but Choice is nowhere to be seen. Any news on those?
Old Jul 6, 2013, 1:22 pm

yeah, same concern on Choice points. I tried to call their customer service, but CSR did not know about Daily Gateway deals at all, saying that you can only buy points on their web-site... Has anyone had any luck?
Old Jul 6, 2013, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by alexxgr
yeah, same concern on Choice points. I tried to call their customer service, but CSR did not know about Daily Gateway deals at all, saying that you can only buy points on their web-site... Has anyone had any luck?
No. It may be well into next week or even perhaps the week later at the latest before I would worry something went seriously wrong.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:18 pm

Programs: KLM Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by GUWonder
No. It may be well into next week or even perhaps the week later at the latest before I would worry something went seriously wrong.
Well, they charged my card allright...
Old Jul 6, 2013, 9:36 pm

Is Dailygetaways a once-a-year kinda thing?
Old Jul 6, 2013, 10:00 pm

Programs: PC Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by SuperKirby
Is Dailygetaways a once-a-year kinda thing?
Yes, it is. It began in May between 2010 and 2012.
This year it started in June.

RM
Old Jul 6, 2013, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Rumeli
Yes, it is. It began in May between 2010 and 2012.
This year it started in June.

RM
Thanks. I have no choice but to get on it now, was hoping for another one of these in the Fall =(
Old Jul 6, 2013, 10:38 pm

Wyndham posted! Woohoo! Should I transfer all to UA now or hold out for a promo?
Old Jul 6, 2013, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold,
Originally Posted by yerffej201
Wyndham posted! Woohoo! Should I transfer all to UA now or hold out for a promo?
still nothing for me
Old Jul 6, 2013, 10:51 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by yerffej201
What history of promotions between UA and Wyndham would make you think one's coming? And what recent history of hotel devaluation would make you think that the transfer ratio will get any better?
Old Jul 6, 2013, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
What history of promotions between UA and Wyndham would make you think one's coming? And what recent history of hotel devaluation would make you think that the transfer ratio will get any better?
I think late last year (November?) United had a promotion where you earn bonus miles by transferring hotel points (any hotel) to United.

ETA: http://thepointsguy.com/2012/10/up-t...-hotel-points/

Last edited by SuperKirby; Jul 6, 2013 at 11:21 pm Reason: ETA
Old Jul 7, 2013, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
As poster above already said:
up to 30% on transfer promo (20k + bonus 5k)
and I am afraid of a devaluation like the Club Carlson one:
http://boardingarea.com/mommypoints/...n-devaluation/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.