Can US Citizen get a Shenzhen Visa?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2010, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United-1K, Million Miler; SPG-Titanium and Lifetime Platinum; Globalist

I have a quick trip to HKG and wanted to go to Shenzhen for a little (or a lot) of shopping. I've been reading online that US citizens can't get visas. Is this meaning I can't get a visa day of, at the border crossing, or I can't get one period?

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:41 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz Platinum
US citizens can certainly get a regular Chinese tourist visa before they leave from the Chinese embassy or consulate in the US that covers their state of residence. A single-entry visa that would be valid for travel all over China for up to 30 days certainly could be used for a day trip of a few hours into Shenzhen from Hong Kong. So it's not true to say "US citizens can't get a visa to go to Shenzhen."

Two other questions are: a) can you get a Shenzhen-only visa issued at the border like you used to be able to do with a US passport, and b) can you get a Shenzhen-only or regular Chinese visa issued in Hong Kong with a US passport.

I think the answer to both is "no" but hopefully someone with specific knowledge can chime in.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 1:08 pm

There is no such thing as a Shenzhen only visa. Shenzhen is China and you can get China visas in HK with 24 hour turn-around time - just need to pay for it. Google will show you where and how....
Old Oct 29, 2010, 9:39 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by dtsm
There is no such thing as a Shenzhen only visa.
Rubbish. Of course there are Shenzhen Economic Zone (SEZ) Visas (Google will show you where and how). Many HK residents and visitors use them very frequently. However, US Citizens tend to have more difficulty. My understanding is that currently SEZ visas aren't available to US Citizens, but not having the misfortune to be an American citizen I have no reason to keep up to date on the latest situation - these things change from time to time.

Last edited by christep; Oct 29, 2010 at 9:44 am
Old Oct 31, 2010, 12:24 am
Suspended

Yes, US passport holders can get Visas.
But only from a Consulate/ Embassy (Wanchai in HK).

No, you cannot rock up to the border without one, as most other nationalities.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 12:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 3_2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B500 Safari/531.21.10)

Originally Posted by christep
Originally Posted by dtsm
There is no such thing as a Shenzhen only visa.
Rubbish. Of course there are Shenzhen Economic Zone (SEZ) Visas (Google will show you where and how). Many HK residents and visitors use them very frequently. However, US Citizens tend to have more difficulty. My understanding is that currently SEZ visas aren't available to US Citizens, but not having the misfortune to be an American citizen I have no reason to keep up to date on the latest situation - these things change from time to time.
Is it correct that a standard Chinese visa will also do for going to Shenzen?
Old Oct 31, 2010, 1:08 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Is it correct that a standard Chinese visa will also do for going to Shenzen?
Yes, that is correct.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 4:54 am

Programs: various
US citizens are not permitted to receive the special limited-area visas issued at land borders, to either the Shenzhen Economic Zone or to Zhuhai. This situation has been in effect for some time and there is no indication that the policy will be loosened anytime soon. Do not even try to exit Hong Kong and head across "no mans land" to China as, without a valid visa, the Chinese will likely fine you and then turn you around.

A US passport holder will need a regular Chinese visa of some type (tourist, business) to cross over into the PRC. You can get your visa in advance in the USA (recommended, as you get better terms like 12 months, and multiple entries). Or you can get it in HKG with less generous terms--for this it is best to use an agency like Forever Bright (google them) and let them do the legwork rather than you doing the waiting (often long waiting) at the Chinese mission in Wanchai. Next-day visa service is available for a bit extra.

Regardless of where a US citizen gets the Chinese visa, or terms, it will be $140 or the equivalent in local currency (plus any agent fees plus any Rush processing fees). You'll have to decide if your Shenzhen shopping list justifies getting the visa.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 9:19 am

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Yes, that is correct.
Thanks.

By the way, since I am going there in a couple weeks, what is the shopping attraction? Anything I should be looking for?
Old Oct 31, 2010, 2:02 pm

Rubbish.My understanding is that currently SEZ visas aren't available to US Citizens, but not having the misfortune to be an American citizen I have no reason to keep up to date on the latest situation - these things change from time to time.
OP is US passport holder so we're both saying the same thing: "There is no such thing as Shenzhen visa for US passport holders"
Old Oct 31, 2010, 5:22 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Thanks.

By the way, since I am going there in a couple weeks, what is the shopping attraction? Anything I should be looking for?
Way better than HK for fake stuff, which is very limited in HK. Also the largest electronics area I have ever seen, puts Akihabara to shame in size (although maybe not in variety, as most of the booths in a particular area seem to be selling the same thing). Important note: absolutely everything in Shenzhen is "buyer beware!"
Old Jul 26, 2015, 5:08 pm

Update

Any info on the current status on US citizens getting a temporary visa for a day trip to Shenzen if staying in HONGKONG?
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:06 pm

Still the same thing as in 2010: No "port visa" for US citizens at the border.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by michaelpowell44
Any info on the current status on US citizens getting a temporary visa for a day trip to Shenzen if staying in HONGKONG?
Why not get a full featured visa? If you grab one in the US, the cost is only $140. In HK, you're looking at around $400 total (applying by yourself at the consulate is an option in theory, but I've yet to meet anyone who's snagged a good visa using this route since 10 years came into effect). During the handful of brief periods during the past 10 years when US citizens were eligible for Shenzhen visas, the price was the same as other visas.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 5:51 am

Go to the Visa Office! HK agencies are charging Americans an exorbitant fee for the ten-year visa. And yes, I do know an American who's gotten a ten-year visa there without a HK id card recently.

But go prepared: you'll need copies of your Shenzhen hotel reservation, your HK entry slip, your passport name page, and your last Chinese visa, if any.

And if there is a problem at the Visa Office, you can then head over to an agency and fork out big money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.