Search

April a good time to visit Hong Kong?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2007, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
April a good time to visit Hong Kong?

Hi,
I've visited Hong Kong a few times previously--in March and June. Both times there was substantial fog and rain, and I'd really like to visit when the weather's nicer. Am I better off waiting for fall? Thanks everyone.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In general, April is one of the nicest time to visit. Humidity not as bad as June - mid Sep and the heavy precipitation doesn't begin till May. But April is considered peak season for hotels in HK due to the Canton Trade Fair taking place in nearby Guangzhou. So book early and prepare to pay a higher price if you are seeking accommodation.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 10:49 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
I go towards the end of April every year for the trade fairs. Besides the Canton Fair in Guangzhou, there are several other fairs in Hong Kong.
The weather is very nice. You can get some warm days, but not bad at all.
The hotels do get expensive during the trade fair time, and they seem to go higher every year.
You will probably do better on price in the first half of the month, as the trade fairs are mostly from the 15 to 30.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 9:12 pm

Is there a bad time to visit beautiful Hong Kong?
Old Jan 22, 2007, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
April can be very humid and foggy. But it's cool-and-humid, often misty. It's not the hot-and-humid in the summer, which is the worst time to visit Hong Kong unless one stays in A/C all the time.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by rkkwan
April can be very humid and foggy. But it's cool-and-humid, often misty. It's not the hot-and-humid in the summer, which is the worst time to visit Hong Kong unless one stays in A/C all the time.
On the other hand, it is in summer, when the prevailing winds are towards the north, that you get the most number of extremely high visibility days. Sometimes it is so bright your eyes hurt just by looking up at the hills.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:30 am

I have visited SIN 2 times this month and each round trip was via Hong Kong so I have been in HKG airport 4 times this Jan. During each visit I noticed that the haze was quite strong...sometimes almost obscuring the nearby hills.I was just wondering if this is typical? Does it reflect worsening air pollution in the area? If so, I assume that the problem is created in other areas as I think heavy manufacturing emissions are not a problem in the immediate area. Is that correct?

Thanks
Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:39 am

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by 747LWW
I have visited SIN 2 times this month and each round trip was via Hong Kong so I have been in HKG airport 4 times this Jan. During each visit I noticed that the haze was quite strong...sometimes almost obscuring the nearby hills.I was just wondering if this is typical? Does it reflect worsening air pollution in the area? If so, I assume that the problem is created in other areas as I think heavy manufacturing emissions are not a problem in the immediate area. Is that correct?

Thanks
I've been in HKG five times in the last three years and IMO the haze/pollution has gotten much worse. I suspect in Jan. all those coal plants producing power in China generate a ton of pollution. I've read a lot of that drifts down to HKG.

I was in PVG in Jan. 2005 and the air quality was atrocious. I don't know how people live there.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
The smog is worse in winter, and we're in winter now.

I had thought it was a regional thing, as the Pearl Delta region is a huge manufacturing center for everything we buy in Wal-Mart and around the world. But on my recent flight HKG-EWR, I noticed that the smog basically covers the whole eastern seaboard of China, from Hong Kong all the way up to just past Beijing, punctuated only by a few mountain ranges.

It's no surprise that the particles from China can be detected across the Pacific Ocean in the US West Coast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.