Wiki Posts
Search

Entry to HK with Chinese passport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2008, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Entry to HK with Chinese passport

Would the HK experts here have some advice for us?

We have a weekend business/leisure trip booked to Hongkong. Here are the facts:

- My business partner is travelling with a Chinese passport
- Trip is a package tour by Dragonair (flights & hotel)
- Booked through local travel agent

Can the travel agent organize an entry permit based on the hotel booking and return ticket or should we get a visa for my fellow traveller? Is an invitation necessary for such a visa?
Old Sep 4, 2008, 2:57 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
All the details you need are here, I think.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks christep

If I understood it correctly, processing time for any kind of entry permit request, package tours included, is 4-6 weeks outside of Beijing. Applications made in Beijing can be processed in three days minimum. Wonder if this is correct?

If so, then he just has to make an extra trip to Beijing to get this over with. Luckily there are enough other reasons to visti there too.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 3:27 am
Original Poster

So I phoned the good HK immigration people in Beijing and they could only advice to contact the local security bureau in China.

Unfortunately they do not seem to have information about requirements and processing times regarding mainland security offices. If one is not allowed to apply in Beijing as a non-Beijing resident and it really takes over a month to be processed elsewhere then my biz partner has to cancel this trip, I guess.

But we'll see.

Wonder if his permanent Schengen visa could be of any help in this?

Last edited by mosburger; Sep 4, 2008 at 3:57 am
Old Sep 4, 2008, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Phoned a few Chinese friends and they said the processing takes about 10 days minimum. Another choice is to buy an onward ticket to Bali etc. and then cancel it which would make the Hongkong stay a visa-free "transit".

Phew, quite complicated it seems but can be done still without messing up the schedule.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 5:47 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Good that you seem to be finding a way through.

As a way OT aside...
Originally Posted by mosburger
Wonder if his permanent Schengen visa could be of any help in this?
What are these? My wife needs a visa for Europe and we have been unable to find any sort of visa that lasts more than 6 months. How do you get a permanent one (really permanent? I didn't think anyone issued visas for more than 10 years these days...)
Old Sep 4, 2008, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Good that you seem to be finding a way through.
Thanks. Yes, I think with a little guanxi added it will be no problem at all.

As a way OT aside...
What are these? My wife needs a visa for Europe and we have been unable to find any sort of visa that lasts more than 6 months. How do you get a permanent one (really permanent? I didn't think anyone issued visas for more than 10 years these days...)
In this case, the gentleman has a Ph.D from an European University and a decade living and working in Europe as a good taxpayer.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by mosburger
In this case, the gentleman has a Ph.D from an European University and a decade living and working in Europe as a good taxpayer.
Obviously this is not a visa but a residence title in one of the Schengen countries. Nothing special, about 1m Turks in Germany hold such title.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Obviously this is not a visa but a residence title in one of the Schengen countries. Nothing special, about 1m Turks in Germany hold such title.
I only know he doesn't have to apply for a visa when travelling to Schengen. That's quite a good perk from my point of view.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 12:12 am

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
There are two types of entry permits for leisure travellers, one allows you to enter HK by yourself, the other one requires you to enter HK w/tour group. If your business partner's 户口 is not located in those 28 cities listed in the link provided by christep, then he/she can only apply for the tour group one. OTOH, if your business traveller is a permanent resident of any foreign country (e.g. US green card holders), then follow the procedures listed in this link.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Everything was sorted out this morning. I guess the next step is to get him some sort of multiple visit business entry permit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.