Search

Changes to the waterfront

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2017, 1:19 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Changes to the waterfront

My previous visit to HK was in Nov 2011.

On this brief trip, I discovered Ocean Terminal, more for a couple of mid range restaurants there with great harbor views. I don't know if it was there CA in 2011.

The bigger discovery today is the new piers and promenade between the Central Star Ferry terminal and Wanchai -- about half way towards the CEC?

Back in 2011, it was a construction zone, especially between the terminal and towards he MTR station. Obviously there's a big Ferris wheel there, though it's not like the London Eye or if wheels in other cities.

But the "new" waterfront provides great views of the skyline, both looking east and back west as you get towards the end of it and you run into another huge construction zone that seems to reach the CEC.

Are they planning to extend the waterfront promenade all the way to the CEC? That would be a huge improvement. I walked all the way to the CEC so I walked along the noisy road and the construction areas.

Though the Kowloon skyline from the Island side is very unimpressive, especially from Golden Bauhinia Square, though looking westward towards the skyline with the IFC would look great once the construction of whatever they're doing is complete.

That green zone along the promenade looks good too, though there wasn't that many people there even though it was a nice clear day in early February.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 5:00 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
In principle the waterfront promenade will extend all the way along both sides of the harbour. But this has been the plan for many years, and like most such things in HK they take for ever to be implemented (Singapore gets similar things done in a small fraction of the time).
Old Feb 4, 2017, 5:38 am

" . . . like most such things in HK they take forever to be implemented."

Can you say "Kai Tak"?
Old Feb 4, 2017, 7:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

How long ago did they start the work?

Like I said, there was already a lot of construction back in 2011.

It must be more for tourism than residents? That area is a pretty decent hike from the MTR stations and the east-west bus routes. Would residents use that park regularly if perhaps they didn't work in the nearby office towers? Seems a long ways from the residential areas which I thought were more on the other side of the MTR lines.

Maybe they could run some bus lines or build trams there?
Old Feb 4, 2017, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by wco81
How long ago did they start the work?

Like I said, there was already a lot of construction back in 2011.

It must be more for tourism than residents? That area is a pretty decent hike from the MTR stations and the east-west bus routes. Would residents use that park regularly if perhaps they didn't work in the nearby office towers? Seems a long ways from the residential areas which I thought were more on the other side of the MTR lines.

Maybe they could run some bus lines or build trams there?
Here's a story from last summer discussing some of the project:
http://www.scmp.com/culture/article/...s-about-happen

Also some of the plans:
http://www.cedd.gov.hk/eng/achieveme...i_central.html
http://www.wd2.gov.hk/eng/introduction.html
Old Feb 4, 2017, 6:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Interesting background in those links. Land reclamation in the name of lowering housing prices yet people are suspicious that developers will put up luxury apts. to draw more people from the mainland.

And there are plans to build a North Island line, which will cause more construction to return to the new reclaimed space.

Then of course the environmental concerns.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 10:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by wco81
And there are plans to build a North Island line, which will cause more construction to return to the new reclaimed space.
I haven't heard of this or researched it, but I'm wondering how it's possible to go any further north than the current Island Line without being in the water.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 10:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Part of it is already under construction as the Shatin to Central Link, which will include Exhibition station (near the exhibition centre obviously) in Wanchai North. Opening is scheduled for 2020, from memory.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future...nterchange.svg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.