Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Group dinner recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2017, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Group dinner recommendations?

I'm traveling with a large group of American colleagues (about 20) without any local support in HK. Although I've been to HK plenty of times, I've never had to feed so many people at once before. Anyone have recommendations for restaurants that will take reservations for 20, near MTR stations, priced at $30 US per person or around there? Western or Chinese, I'm interested in both.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Search in OpenRice. Maybe Japanese or Korean BBQ buffets? That would be fun esp with a large group.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Book 2 tables at a Chinese (seafood) restaurant (those who offers dim sum). The restaurant may have some prearranged dinner packages.

The reality is with 20 people, this group dinner must be reserved in advance.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:06 am

For that many people, I wonder if private clubs are an option.

My HKG friend goes to these private clubs on HK Island for meals and family functions, and he says the dim sum at those places are even better than at acclaimed restaurants. Thus he doesn't even do fine dining at restaurants in HKG. I go to HKG every year, yet I've never been to these clubs and don't know how they work. Perhaps someone can shed light here. But maybe it's an option worth looking into for a party of 20.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by evergrn
For that many people, I wonder if private clubs are an option.

My HKG friend goes to these private clubs on HK Island for meals and family functions, and he says the dim sum at those places are even better than at acclaimed restaurants. Thus he doesn't even do fine dining at restaurants in HKG. I go to HKG every year, yet I've never been to these clubs and don't know how they work. Perhaps someone can shed light here. But maybe it's an option worth looking into for a party of 20.
Let there be light:

HK private clubs is a great option for private dinner, party of 20. If only someone in the dining party has a membership.

You need to join the club or have a member bring you in. To join the better clubs you need nominations by present members. Then there are the initiation fees and annual membership fees.

The best chefs are recruited and is contracted staff of these clubs. The remuneration, hours and work environment is superior to many dining establishments.

The quality of the cuisines, service and ambiance at many clubs are superior to most high end restaurants.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by tentseller
Let there be light:

HK private clubs is a great option for private dinner, party of 20. If only someone in the dining party has a membership.

You need to join the club or have a member bring you in. To join the better clubs you need nominations by present members. Then there are the initiation fees and annual membership fees.

The best chefs are recruited and is contracted staff of these clubs. The remuneration, hours and work environment is superior to many dining establishments.

The quality of the cuisines, service and ambiance at many clubs are superior to most high end restaurants.
I see. Thanks. So it's almost like exclusive golf/country clubs then. It wouldn't work for a bunch of American visitors such as OP's group.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Would a restaurant in a hotel be your best bet? I would think that they have more experience dealing with large groups and obviously have more experience dealing with English speakers. Since you mention that there's no one in HK to help you with this process, I would think that emailing with the hotel in the run up to the dinner would be a possibility, allowing you to setup the dinner up from afar.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
Would a restaurant in a hotel be your best bet? I would think that they have more experience dealing with large groups and obviously have more experience dealing with English speakers. Since you mention that there's no one in HK to help you with this process, I would think that emailing with the hotel in the run up to the dinner would be a possibility, allowing you to setup the dinner up from afar.
OP has mentioned budget of $30USpp which is about 225HKD

Maybe the YMCA TST Buffet?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Snarky responses aside (and apologies for not seeing the budget), it looks like perhaps adamak is on the right track with OpenRice? They have a whole section for under "Party" and it seems like a good guide. Unfortunately, the list doesn't tend to show the dollar amounts, so you'll have to click around but at least it shows what places can take a group of twenty.

Good luck to OP.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:50 am

Programs: MP, BR
Given the dinner budget, anything relating to clubs and hotels would be out of budget. Best bet is a Chinese restaurant with fixed banquet menu. Typical banquet menu serves 10 - 12 and 2 tables is perfect for a group of 20. Some menus already include certain amount of drinks and the typical 10% service charge usually placed by restaurants in HK.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:39 pm

I don't necessarily think a nice hotel Cantonese restaurant is too far out from the OP's budget. Assuming 20 dishes for 20 people, there are many nice hotel restaurants where you could keep the average price of a dish to ~250HKD (eg, $150-200 for rice or noodle dish, $300~350 for meat/prawn dish). Loong Yuen at Holiday Inn would be around that price range, and it's a very decent place.

Another interesting option is something like Rainbow Seafood on Lamma Island. I think their set dinner menu was something like $600 for two. Would be a great experience to ride a boat out for a seaside dinner in a small island village.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:06 am

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by evergrn
I don't necessarily think a nice hotel Cantonese restaurant is too far out from the OP's budget. Assuming 20 dishes for 20 people, there are many nice hotel restaurants where you could keep the average price of a dish to ~250HKD (eg, $150-200 for rice or noodle dish, $300~350 for meat/prawn dish). Loong Yuen at Holiday Inn would be around that price range, and it's a very decent place.

Another interesting option is something like Rainbow Seafood on Lamma Island. I think their set dinner menu was something like $600 for two. Would be a great experience to ride a boat out for a seaside dinner in a small island village.

Having organized these a few times a year, $30US for hotel dinners is really stretching it, and you have not taken into account any drinks.

Lamma Island is an interesting choice, but if most of the group has not/rarely gone for a boat ride, it's not a good idea due to sea sickness. A few years ago I was in a group of 40 where half of the people have never gone on a boat before...guess what happened after the people had stomach of seafood and wine?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:49 am

Agreed that there is probably a number of hotel restaurants that might be suitable, but can't think of one right now.

My vote goes to "American Restaurant" on Lockhart Rd. in Wan Chai. Popular for large groups of diners. Pretty decent food, and 200 HKD pp will do.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: FT
private kitchens could also be an option.

we had a group dinner at this place.

https://www.openrice.com/en/hongkong...li-oil-r180137

it worked out well. a few numb tongues...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.