Wiki Posts
Search

Flying on United to HKG; taking ferry to Macau

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2016, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Plat, Marco Polo Club Green , HH Blue, Marriott Plat
Flying on United to HKG; taking ferry to Macau

I am flying on United to HKG. When I arrive I want to take the ferry to Macau.

Is it possible to check bags so that I can pick them up in the transit area?

EthernetWeasel.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 2:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Is it possible to check bags so that I can pick them up in the transit area?
It is not possible to pick up checked-in bags in the transit area.

If you need to get your bags at HKG, you cannot take the direct HKG-Macau ferry, because you cannot access that ferry after you have passed the HK entry immigration checkpoints.
You would have to take the train to HK Central and take a ferry from there to Macau.

In any way -> why do you need to retrieve your bags at HKG?
The ferry operator normally picks up your bags from the baggage carrousel and puts in on the ferry. You get your bags in Macau.

Last edited by warakorn; Nov 1, 2016 at 2:28 am
Old Nov 1, 2016, 7:01 am

Macau ferry counter is before immigration. Once you buy the ferry ticket, the ferry company will send someone to retrieve your checked baggage from the baggage carousel using your baggage tag. The baggage will be transferred to the ferry and locked up( using some buggy cords, not very secure at all) during the ferry ride. You will have access again only after you arrive in Macau after immigration but before custom.
Legally, you never enter Hong Kong SAR.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by neuro0
Macau ferry counter is before immigration. Once you buy the ferry ticket, the ferry company will send someone to retrieve your checked baggage from the baggage carousel using your baggage tag. The baggage will be transferred to the ferry and locked up( using some buggy cords, not very secure at all) during the ferry ride. You will have access again only after you arrive in Macau after immigration but before custom.
Legally, you never enter Hong Kong SAR.
Yes. Check the Hong Kong forum for tips and details, but this is an excellent summary. You'll see signs for the ferries before immigration - buy ticket and they'll get bags.

Check the schedule beforehand because the Macau ferries are less frequent and can be a tight connection with the late arriving UA flights. I've done it to Shenzhen without issue a couple of times, once with checked bags (I was a bit wary of that TBH).
Old Nov 1, 2016, 11:04 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by drewguy
.... Check the Hong Kong forum for tips and details .....
This is excellent advice and as this is not UA specific will move this thread there for continued discussion.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Old Nov 1, 2016, 11:07 am

Just present your checked bag claim stub when you purchase your ferry ticket at the ferry counter before immigration. If there is enough time for them to retrieve your checked bag and transfer to the ferry (usually two hours before the ferry departure time but sometimes they allow a tighter connections), they will sell you a ticket and get the bags transferred for you. If there is not enough time they will not sell you a ticket.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 11:17 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
HKIA website has a pretty good video explaining the process. Can be found on YouTube at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHlYkBCs8Jg&feature=youtu.be
Old Nov 12, 2016, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given the requirement to purchase the ticket far enough in advance for them to get your bags and transfer them to the boat, it's doesn't save *that* much time vs. going into Central and taking the ferry from there (assuming no huge immigration lines), where they also run more frequently. Of course it's a little bit more of a hassle though.

So probably best to play it by ear - when you get to HKG, if you have enough (but not *too* much) time before the next direct ferry, then buy your ticket. Otherwise, just go through immigration to baggage claim, collect your bags and take the Airport Express to central and walk or taxi over to the ferry terminal (or I think there's a bus that takes you directly there which will be easier but probably take longer).
Old Nov 13, 2016, 12:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Clearing immigration, picking up bags, going to HK station (50 km in the opposite direction!), walking to the ferry terminal, buying a ticket, exiting HK, walking to the ferry -- is MUCH more time consuming than taking a ferry from hkia, even if you have to wait 1.5 hours.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 6:19 pm

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
A recent timings example if anyone is interested:

This Monday, I landed at 7.10 am, got the bus A11 at 8.05 am, arrived right outside the ferry terminal at 9.05 am, got the Cotai ferry at 9.30 am, arrived in Macau Taipa ferry terminal about 10.30 am - immigration was fast.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 6:58 pm

And not only did you arrive before the first ferry from HKIA at 11am, but all-in you saved yourself about HK$50.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 7:13 pm

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by 889
And not only did you arrive before the first ferry from HKIA at 11am, but all-in you saved yourself about HK$50.
Yes, the first ferry from HKIA would only have reached Macau at about 12.15.
And I found the trip to be very easy and relaxed.
And I had a good view from the top of the bus.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: LX M&M
Me and my friend are planning to go to Macao for one night on the 30th of december. Im planning to go straight to MFM while he is arriving first class from Frankfurt. The problem is that his flight is arriving at around 5pm and next ferry is only at 10pm.

So my queston: if he has to wait, lets say 4h what can he do at the airport? Is there a lounge for ferry passengers? Ive checked it online and their seems to be only two class services out HKG available.

Thx. for your inputs
lx343
Old Nov 23, 2016, 3:15 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
There is very little to do for 4h while waiting for ferry -- suggest you have kindle or book or movie on ipad. There is a smoking lounge and a restaurant with some food and drink. Not sure if there is any beer or wine but definitely coffee. You are limited to the arrivals level and 99% of airport facilities including lounges are not accessible as they are on departures. The ferry "lounge" itself is like a gate lounge (just a room with a few seats and no food/drink/entertainment.

The alternative is to enter hong kong and take train/taxi to the ferry in Hong Kong which runs frequently but that would take say 2h instead of 4h.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Cotaijet has sailings at 7p and 9p to Taipa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.