Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
emergency: Airport Express breakdown on 14Oct

In Town Check-In suspended
Replacement buses provided.

http://www.mtr.com.hk/alert/alert_simpletxt_title.html

+A free MTR shuttle bus service is operating between Hong Kong Station, Kowloon Station & Tsing Yi Station and Airport Station; between Hong Kong Station, Kowloon Station, Tsing Yi Station & Airport Station and AsiaWorld-Expo Station; between AsiaWorld-Expo Station and Tung Chung Station; or please consider using other transport.

Crosspost in CX forum today

Last edited by kaka; Oct 13, 2016 at 9:43 pm
Old Oct 16, 2016, 6:49 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Seems like it's back up now? The link just goes to the MTR home page.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 7:12 am

Yes, it was back later in the afternoon.

Nonetheless, the MTRC's reputation has become tarnished in recent years, and stoppages like this don't help.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by 889
Nonetheless, the MTRC's reputation has become tarnished in recent years, and stoppages like this don't help.
Moaners. I'd like to see the reliability or uptime of any other developed country major city subway system (except Tokyo) be brought forth on the MTR. Then you'd have a reason to complain.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 8:55 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by Pickles
Moaners. I'd like to see the reliability or uptime of any other developed country major city subway system (except Tokyo) be brought forth on the MTR. Then you'd have a reason to complain.
+1

I love our third-world public transit on the east coast.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 4:38 pm

Lord help us if you think the MTR should be measured against those "This train is out of service" standards.

Instead, the MTR is measured against its own standards, a standard of near-flawless operation set during its first 20 years of operation. Until it was "privatised," in 2000.

New York's problems began in the '70s with "deferred maintenance," and nobody wants to see HK go down the same path.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by 889
Instead, the MTR is measured against its own standards, a standard of near-flawless operation set during its first 20 years of operation. Until it was "privatised," in 2000.
Do you have any data to back this up, or just "feels" like this to you? You do appreciate that the MTR of 2016 is twice as big and carries more than twice as many passengers as the MTR of 2000, right? And hence even if having twice as many "incidents" (to be proven, show us the money!) would actually be maintaining performance, right?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 7:42 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 889

New York's problems began in the '70s with "deferred maintenance," and nobody wants to see HK go down the same path.
NY subway ridership is on the up and up, even if the system itself is the mass transit world's Cthulu.

More disappointing is that the subway is "taking a page" from the MTR, and more or less encouraging folks to chat on their mobile phones...
Old Oct 18, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
+1

I love our third-world public transit on the east coast.
same here. The TTC in Toronto is always down for who knows what reason...
Old Oct 19, 2016, 5:04 am

If anyone wants to research 35 years of Service Disruption statistics on the MTR, they're welcome to do so. Myself, I think slogging through 红楼梦 would be a better use of time.

But there's little doubt that continued disruptions on the MTR raise great concern in HK.

https://therealnewshk.wordpress.com/...unterscreates/ (English translations of some Apple Daily reports)
Old Oct 19, 2016, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 889
If anyone wants to research 35 years of Service Disruption statistics on the MTR, they're welcome to do so. Myself, I think slogging through 红楼梦 would be a better use of time.

But there's little doubt that continued disruptions on the MTR raise great concern in HK.

https://therealnewshk.wordpress.com/...unterscreates/ (English translations of some Apple Daily reports)
In other words, you have no idea if uptime stats are worse now than before. The fact that a dog running on the tracks makes the front page of the newspapers should tell you how unusual disruptions are in Hong Kong.

And just not to put too fine a point on it, here are the stats for the last few years. You tell me where the service is "worsening", please.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 8:41 am

As a former NYC subway commuter, I'm in heaven when on the HK MTR. Especially when it costs me only HK$2 per ride
Old Oct 19, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by dtsm
As a former NYC subway commuter, I'm in heaven when on the HK MTR. Especially when it costs me only HK$2 per ride
that is the same for anyone in YYZ. the TTC is dump compared to the HK MTR.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 9:26 am

Nothing in those stats that shows the actual number of service disruptions per year, which is what attracts public attention, and which is what I invited you to spend your time finding. Besides, those stats only cover 2010 onwards, and we're talking about comparison with the pre-2000 MTR.

But keep looking!
Old Oct 19, 2016, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by dtsm
Originally Posted by mkjr
that is the same for anyone in YYZ. the TTC is dump compared to the HK MTR.
Yes I pay $2 in local currency whether it is the TTC or the HK MTR.

People in HK should travel more to see how blessed they are!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.