HKIA Arrival - Waiting before exiting Immigration

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2016, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Location: California, USA / Tokyo, Japan / Manila, Philippines
Programs: AA / CX MPO AM / Hyatt Discoverist / Marriott Platinum / Shangri-La
HKIA Arrival - Waiting before exiting Immigration

Hello,

I'm flying in from LAX on the 7:30am arrival while my mom is flying from Manila on the 7:10am arrival.

Mom want to wait for me and for us to enter HK Immigration together.

If I remember correctly there is transfer desk area E2 or E1, which i believe is same level as Arrival and right infront of (the opposite side) of the immigration counter areas and has seats for her to wait for me.

Personally if it was up to me, i'd rather she waits at baggage carousel which i distinctly remember has toilets and seats to wait? But she wanted that i ask friends. Moms.

Am i correct? E2/E1 is her best bet?

Thanks all.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I believe it is no problem to delay clearing Immigration for twenty minutes. In fact, there are seats near many/most of the arrival gate areas downstairs and I have seen passengers asleep there, and/or appearing to be waiting for quite a while, charging devices, etc. It seems to be permitted.

There also are toilets in the arrivals area before Immigration, if memory serves.

Just tell your mom to sit at the most convenient place upon reaching the Arrivals corridor, since neither one of you will know your arrival gates in advance. When you land, the two of you can proceed at the same time to the Immigration checkpoint and meet up there. The only issue will be if she arrives at the high-numbered gates (far down the concourse) and you arrive at the low-numbered gates. She would have to take the underground train, or face a very long walk.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 11:00 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Best place to meet is by the ferry checkin counters as there is seating there along with a restaurant and toilets, also close to immigration. Very easy to find as lots of signs point to the Ferry checkin area.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 6:34 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by ESpen36
I believe it is no problem to delay clearing Immigration for twenty minutes. In fact, there are seats near many/most of the arrival gate areas downstairs and I have seen passengers asleep there, and/or appearing to be waiting for quite a while, charging devices, etc. It seems to be permitted.

There also are toilets in the arrivals area before Immigration, if memory serves.
You are absolutely right.

What most people are waiting for is the opening of transfer counter for their airline. Most non HK-based airlines (and those that have 1 flight per day or less) only open their counters at T-3.

When coming off my regular RJ flight (it's a 12-14 hours flight landing at 8pm),I always grab a coffee at Pacific,head to the smoking area and check email ,facebook e.t.c. there for some time (30-40 minutes),because after 14 hours I am definately heading straight home,so not in a hurry. No one ever questioned me.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Location: California, USA / Tokyo, Japan / Manila, Philippines
Programs: AA / CX MPO AM / Hyatt Discoverist / Marriott Platinum / Shangri-La
Thanks
Old Sep 7, 2016, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by number_6
Best place to meet is by the ferry checkin counters as there is seating there along with a restaurant and toilets, also close to immigration. Very easy to find as lots of signs point to the Ferry checkin area.
This was going to be my suggestion as well. Within eyesight, there's a Pacific Coffee, a noddle restaurant, toilets, a drinking water fountain, a smoking lounge (FWIW) and plenty of seating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.