Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

How to Get an Uber at Hong Kong Airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2016, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver

Can anybody advise the procedure for getting an Uber at HKIA? Is there a particular location for the pick-ups? I am assuming Uber is allowed to pick up at the airport, is that correct? To have a chance of getting a Tesla, does one pick UberBlack or UberX (I have heard that some Ubers are Teslas in HKG)?
Old Aug 1, 2016, 7:06 am

Programs: DL DM
I remember being able to get an uber from the airport. And yes Uberblack will get you a Tesla. I had the opportunity to ride in one twice using UberBlack.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 7:06 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Emm,just like you would do anywhere else?

Uber now lets you pick a particular pick up location in most airports/railway stations.For HKIA it's a choice between Car Park 1 and Regal Hotel Car Park.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:57 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

UberBlack can get you a Tesla, but it does not guarantee you one. I used it 3 times in Hong Kong. The first time was a Tesla Model S, the second time was a Toyota Alphard, and the third was a Toyota Estima.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by blueline7
I am assuming Uber is allowed to pick up at the airport, is that correct?
Uber is illegal in Hong Kong.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
Uber is illegal in Hong Kong.
If Uber is illegal in Hong Kong, then why is it listed on their website?

https://www.uber.com/cities/
Old Aug 1, 2016, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Uber is not illegal per se in HK. Carrying paid passengers in a vehicle not licensed "for hire" is. Therefore there is a huge grey area. And a rider who uses Uber cannot generally tell if that vehicle is licensed for hire or not.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by vh_bu98

Uber's website is no representation of any governmental position.

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Uber is not illegal per se in HK. Carrying paid passengers in a vehicle not licensed "for hire" is. Therefore there is a huge grey area. And a rider who uses Uber cannot generally tell if that vehicle is licensed for hire or not.
Uber is in fact illegal per se.

At the minimum, taxi fare is regulated by the HKSAR Government. When Uber makes up its own system, it is illegal.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Thanks so much for the info guys.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 1:20 pm

The legality on Uber in Hong Kong is not going to affect the customer directly.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The legality on Uber in Hong Kong is not going to affect the customer directly.
This is what I call - you are arguing because you want to argue.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
This is what I call - you are arguing because you want to argue.
I have no wish to argue with anyone, but I didn't see the reason behind the statement that Uber is illegal in a country. What was the intention of the statement? Was it to scare people away from using Uber? It comes off as if you are a passenger, that you would be in some kind of legal trouble for using it which is not the case. If this discussion was related to being an Uber driver, then there would be some merit in the statement. However, the OP was asking from a passenger's standpoint.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 6:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Lots of cities where Uber is illegal/gray area.

UberBlack can get you a Tesla, but it does not guarantee you one. I used it 3 times in Hong Kong. The first time was a Tesla Model S, the second time was a Toyota Alphard, and the third was a Toyota Estima.
Aren't Alphard and Estima mini vans? It's a shame Uber is classifying them as Black.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What was the intention of the statement? Was it to scare people away from using Uber?
For consumer protection.

It comes off as if you are a passenger, that you would be in some kind of legal trouble for using it which is not the case.
Hong Kong does not penalize people for using Uber. However, as HKSAR Government is actively prosecuting Uber drivers and potentially Uber, a passenger may be commanded to testify in a court of law.

In the past, the same Government has once prosecuted a taxi driver because of HKD$0.50 (or 6 USD pennies). Even the case was dropped in the interest of justice (i.e. too costly to prosecute for $0.50), it shows how far the Government is willing to go.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
Aren't Alphard and Estima mini vans? It's a shame Uber is classifying them as Black.
Yes they are since they should be UberXL. I had never heard of an Alphard before so I was standing in front of the Landmark Mandarin Oriental looking for a nice car to show up and wondering where it was until the driver called me and he was right in front of me. It was definitely disappointing since I've used UberX before that were luxury cars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.