Wiki Posts
Search

Long-term Accomodation Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2016, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by 889
"But a village home near Kam Sheung Rd Station is not necessary the most awful way to spend his rent, especially if one doesn't care too much about very cramped and crowded living quarters."

If the standard is most awful way to spend his rent, I suppose we could come up with some other ideas, but for an 18-year-old European guy, that does come close. Why even bother coming to Hong Kong if you're going to live in Kam Tin?
Perhaps because
1. he wants that job, +
2. only has US$1,000 to spend +
3. wants more than a cramped 200 sq ft hole in the city?

Anyhow, I don't know the OP, what he likes/wants/needs whatsoever. Chances are this is an awful option for him, but again, NOT NECESSARILY THE MOST AWFUL.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 7:42 pm

-- "You're living WHERE?!"

-- "Well, my Dad found some guy on the internet who thought it was a great idea."
Old Aug 4, 2016, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Thank you everyone for the recent suggestions.
As the OP, I'm grateful for all suggestions and it's useful to know about which options there are.
I also find it to be a good thing that this thread has become a bit more of a general thread about accommodation in HK - it might as well be useful for more people than just me.

And yes, my son is going to HK for the job and he is restricted by his very low budget. But he can either go on a low budget or not go at all (we will help him out up to a point, but still).
If his budget was 5000 US$ a month he would of course prefer a reasonably spacious and new place, centrally located.
But as it is not, he has to compromise - either on quality,size or location - that will be up to him but thanks to this thread he can at least make a reasonably informed choice.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 10:01 am
Original Poster

An update:

My son's departure date was suddenly moved forward so he is leaving already this week.

I decided to prioritize location for his first little while in HK.

I have booked him 2 weeks at the IBIS North Point.

(I emailed them for a quote for a monthly rate but they were too slow in answering and/or I was too impatient to wait so I booked 2 weeks through the Accor site. I did like the monthly quote they sent me but my existing booking couldn't be changed, so..)

And after that 4 weeks in the Homy Inn Hostel North Point - single room with own toilet/bath.

I had my mind set on this hostel as the location is perfect and it looks new and clean.
I had a bit of trouble with my communication with this hostel (not answering emails) so in the end I booked through a third party (Agoda) something I don't normally do.

I also cleaned up all my notes gleaned from this thread so he can use them in his further search for accommodation

To be honest, I think that he is leaning towards staying in the hostel long term if he can stand the VERY small room and if he can get some sort of discounted long stay rate.
But he might change his mind once he's there and luckily he now has a long time to look for a place to stay.

So thank you to everyone here who has helped me - all contributions have been very much appreciated.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by helosc
(I emailed them for a quote for a monthly rate but they were too slow in answering and/or I was too impatient to wait so I booked 2 weeks through the Accor site. I did like the monthly quote they sent me but my existing booking couldn't be changed, so..)
Ask your son to talk to the front desk staff in the property. They should be able to adjust accordingly.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
Ask your son to talk to the front desk staff in the property. They should be able to adjust accordingly.
Yes, I quite thought they should have been able to adjust the booking (the deal wasn't that much cheaper than I could have booked myself and they would have sold a month instead of two weeks) but apparently not - I have corresponded directly with the hotel per email.
Never mind now, I kept my reservation for two weeks and then he'll move to the hostel which is nearer in price to his budget.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Yes, I quite thought they should have been able to adjust the booking (the deal wasn't that much cheaper than I could have booked myself and they would have sold a month instead of two weeks) but apparently not - I have corresponded directly with the hotel per email.
Ask to speak to the manager.

Believe me or not - somehow people simply speak to the wrong person for the wrong purpose.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
Ask to speak to the manager.

Believe me or not - somehow people simply speak to the wrong person for the wrong purpose.
Yes, I know.
But not having any elite status probably didn't help either... (I am used to Hilton where I have status - but the Conrad was not an option.....).
Anyway, I don't want to extend the stay now - I've booked the hostel on a non-refundable rate and I'm satisfied with how things have worked out.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 8:17 pm

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Interesting thread, and good to see that you have been getting a range of well-informed advice.

I'd have to agree that unless your son really likes hiking/running/cycling etc. I don't really see a point in living up in NT (apart from that you get a large space). It is a pretty long commute and there is limited social life and restaurants/shops etc. in some of the areas.

I go up to NT quite often for hiking or so, but that is something I do if I have days off work when I am in HK. There are even people living up in places like Sai Wan Beach, but that is a good 30 min boat ride to Sai Kung (where it is a bus ride to the MTR)...

Personally I think places on Kowloon south of Prince Edward station are quite viable and Kennedy Town or other places on the Island line are quite attractive. It can be very important not to look too much at location of the area, but rather what the door-to-door commute will be.

Buses can be very efficient for certain routes, whilst for other route they can be very prone to traffic jams during peak hours.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
My son (older at 24) is currently working in HK. He arrived in November and his company put him up in a flat for the first 6 weeks while he searched for his own accommodation. He ended up connecting with other ex-pats (there are tens of thousands of them) and he, along with a friend he had met there, took the lease over of a flat which was being vacated by some people leaving. As I understand it, this is very common practice.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 6:38 am

I have to agree there's some excellent advice here. The only real differences are differences of opinion.
I standby my argument that no young single expat would want to be 'trapped' in the New Territories and would be much happier on HK island. Others, quite correctly, point out you can get more for your money out there.

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
My son (older at 24) is currently working in HK. He arrived in November and his company put him up in a flat for the first 6 weeks while he searched for his own accommodation. He ended up connecting with other ex-pats (there are tens of thousands of them) and he, along with a friend he had met there, took the lease over of a flat which was being vacated by some people leaving. As I understand it, this is very common practice.
Yeah, it is quite common. It's also quite common to take-over someone's broadband contract, as companies here force you to sign 24 month contracts.

You need to check everything over very carefully if you do though. Especially in terms of deposits.
I know someone who was screwed over taking over someone's apartment contract, as the old tenant took the TV and some kitchen equipment with him and it actually belonged to the landlord. The landlord then took quite a few (I think 10+) thousand out of the deposit - but if he had read the contract carefully it was all in there.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 10:44 am
Original Poster

A small (and not very relevant) update :

My son has finally received his work visa - it took its time and I was getting worried.
He is curiously quiet on the subject of accomodation, I expect he was waiting for the visa.
I have overcome my aversion to long flights and have booked a trip there for November.

My son informed me of another area not mentioned here for obvious reasons (price) - Mid-Level - where some of the people he is rubbing elbows with are residing.

In my search for hotels for my stay, I happened upon an area in the south part of HK island (Wong Chuk Hang/Aberdeen).
As it is now, there seems to be fairly good bus connections to the north of the island - not too long distance, but perhaps a long time due to traffic?
With the 2 new metro lines opening soon, that must be an up-and-coming area, I suppose?
I don't need this information for my son, I have finished my research for him but maybe other people could use a bit of information about that area - it looks interesting to me (I see nature and harbours).
Old Sep 14, 2016, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
A small (and not very relevant) update :

My son has finally received his work visa - it took its time and I was getting worried.
He is curiously quiet on the subject of accomodation, I expect he was waiting for the visa.
I have overcome my aversion to long flights and have booked a trip there for November.

My son informed me of another area not mentioned here for obvious reasons (price) - Mid-Level - where some of the people he is rubbing elbows with are residing.

In my search for hotels for my stay, I happened upon an area in the south part of HK island (Wong Chuk Hang/Aberdeen).
As it is now, there seems to be fairly good bus connections to the north of the island - not too long distance, but perhaps a long time due to traffic?
With the 2 new metro lines opening soon, that must be an up-and-coming area, I suppose?
I don't need this information for my son, I have finished my research for him but maybe other people could use a bit of information about that area - it looks interesting to me (I see nature and harbours).
My balcony is over the north exit of the Aberdeen Tunnel.

Morning coffee is spent watching the traffic at a stand still.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 1:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

@OP: I suggest you forgo nature, and pick a hotel in Wanchai or CB.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 3:02 pm

Mid-Levels is the classic expat district, at least for those working in Central. But unless someone gives him a very sweet deal, he's not going to make it work as an intern.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.