Wiki Posts
Search

Shopping in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2016, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by christep
Why on earth would you come to HK wanting to buy bras over a C-cup? (Unless you forgot to pack yours or something)

There are many great things to do here. Shopping for Caucasian-size clothes is absolutely not one of them (with the possible exception of custom tailoring, but even that isn't the bargain it used to be).

As a large Caucasian HongKonger I basically buy all my clothes online from the US or UK.
I was just making a general comment about sizes. I take bras on the plane in carry on specifically for that reason. If my bags get lost I cannot replace bras in an Asian country.

I notice Marks and Spencer is filled with ex pats because they have the closest sizing to fit westerners.

I guess they have trouble getting petite sizes when they come to our countries too.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I guess they have trouble getting petite sizes when they come to our countries too.
The ethnic East Asian (Chinese, Vietnamese, Filipino, Indonesian, Korean, Hong Kong) population of Sydney is over 10% (maybe 400,000 people). I'm guessing that's above the critical mass to have shops catering to them.

The Caucasian population of Hong Kong is less than 2% (even being generous and including South Asians it's only about 150,000), which I guess isn't.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
I lived in HK for 3 years and like most Westerners, I ended up buying most of my clothes/shoes online from the US or UK, or buying them on trips back to the UK/Australia/US. In emergencies, I would use M&S or Zara but the huge mark-up on prices was annoying. It's not just that the Asian shape is different to the Western shape, but also I found that HK was not exactly fashion forward (and definitely not individual) so a lot of what is available in HK is quite dated or very staid when compared to London, NY etc.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

omg! I love pull & bear! where is this in hong kong ? cos i've only seen it in taipei and singapore but not hong kong!

I find that i shop in the same high street places but what to see other boutiques- true the boutiques here sizing is an issue i am a uk 12 and everything is so tiny and also very girly with korean and japanese influence im guessing.

I found a place in IFC called Rue Madame that offer so many designers from Europe and the price wasnt bad too and they fit me huurrahhhh!!!
Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hellolidoqt
omg! I love pull & bear! where is this in hong kong ?
Let me Google that for you!
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by hellolidoqt
omg! I love pull & bear! where is this in hong kong ? cos i've only seen it in taipei and singapore but not hong kong!

I find that i shop in the same high street places but what to see other boutiques- true the boutiques here sizing is an issue i am a uk 12 and everything is so tiny and also very girly with korean and japanese influence im guessing.
I remember seeing a Pull & Bear in Manila on my last visit
Old Jul 27, 2016, 4:44 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver
Citygate outlet in Tung Chung may be worth a visit
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
I'm surprised people say HK fashion/style is outdated, they can't find certain sizes or are overprice.

Like any other country there are sales, outlets mall/shops where you can get your clothes cheaper but obviously the reason why, is to reduce the current season stock for the new season stock.
You can almost buy the same things from HK Ralph Lauren, H&M, Timberland, M&S, Nike, Uniqlo, Zara, etc... that is advertised on UK & US websites.
I usually buy my sports footwear in HK than in London but you will find things a bit more expensive due to the weakness of GBP£ (for those from the UK) due to Brexit.

I personally find in the outlet shops/malls that most of the things for sale are uncommon sizes like XXL for clothes or 11 for footwear a bit of proof that HK cater for the larger size person.
I can't really comment on female underwear apart from that I seen size 16 knickers sold in Mong Kok & Sham Shui Po, it would be strange to me to sell large size items for the lower part of the body but not for the upper body.

For actual shop names/locations other websites like Geoexpat or TripAdvisor may be able to help you out.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Ace71
I'm surprised people say HK fashion/style is outdated, they can't find certain sizes or are overprice.
It is as true as it gets:

...HK fashion/style is outdated - Why do you need to buy it from Hong Kong when your home country has it?

...they can't find certain sizes - Clothes are designed based on market demand, so it is true that it is difficult to find large sizes in Hong Kong.

...are overprice - Price are jacked up in response to rent increase and money from the Mainland.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ace71
I personally find in the outlet shops/malls that most of the things for sale are uncommon sizes like XXL for clothes or 11 for footwear a bit of proof that HK cater for the larger size person.
You should be aware that many clothing manufacturers have a different sizing profile for Asia than for Europe/North America. What is called XXL in Asian cut is about L in North America; it can be rather hard to find XXL size and (as importantly) cut as designed for gweilos! (The cut is important because us gweilos have, in general, much bigger arses - even if I can find a big enough waist, there's no way Asian cuts fit there!)

And 11 is really not a large footwear size for a gweilo.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
What about the bespoke suits?

Or too expensive?
Old Sep 24, 2016, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I found it very insulting when someone saying Asian women don't have boobs, unless boobs are defined as breasts that are over C cups.

It's common to see C+ cups bras on sale in a lot of bra departments in various department stores.

A lot of locals prefer Japanese/Korean style fashion - Westerners may find it dated.

Mr. Nacho likes to buy his shirts and trousers from Hong Kong because it fits them perfectly and he is a Westerner. Those clothes look presentable and nice.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by nacho
I found it very insulting when someone saying Asian women don't have boobs, unless boobs are defined as breasts that are over C cups.
As insulting as it sounds, per a survey cited in this link:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1456565.html

Average Asian female cup size is A.

It's common to see C+ cups bras on sale in a lot of bra departments in various department stores.
One of the major reasons - demand.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by garykung
As insulting as it sounds, per a survey cited in this link:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1456565.html

Average Asian female cup size is A.

One of the major reasons - demand.
I know all that - we have small breasts - doesn't mean that we have no boobs. Because of our smaller size breasts, you can often find C+ cup bras heavily reduced in department stores.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know all that - we have small breasts - doesn't mean that we have no boobs.
I don't anyone has ever said Asian female have no boobs.

Beside, to me, boobs=breasts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.