Wiki Posts
Search

15 hours in HK , Hotel help....

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2016, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF,US,ANA
15 hours in HK , Hotel help....

My wife and I have a 15 hour stopover in HK , we are flying J with CX .

We arrive in HK at 6.20am and depart 9.20 pm.

As we are departing AMS at 1pm we will probably be tired by the time we get to HK , the plan is to get a hotel in town with easy access to the airport , as we would like to have a short rest and have a look around whichever part of HK we are at .

One of the problems will be the check in time as I would guess we would be getting to the hotel around 8am .

We are looking at a lower price hotel as we only plan to be there a few hours.

Any recommendations for a hotel and things to do would be great ....
Old May 21, 2016, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
You could try this website

https://www.between9and5.com/

Also the Conrad in the City Centre will do day rooms, but they're not cheap - HK$1400 plus tax.
Old May 22, 2016, 6:55 pm

I believe both Sky City Marriott and Regal Hotel at HKIA offer rooms for day-use. Latter would be particularly convenient for the OP.
Old May 22, 2016, 7:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Day rate often covers the period from 9 am to 5 pm, but the times can frequently be negotiated with the hotel. If you do book the day rate, be sure to confirm the times.

BTW, hotel programs have different rules about whether, for instance, this would count as a stay but not a night, etc.
Old May 24, 2016, 12:30 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by evergrn
I believe both Sky City Marriott and Regal Hotel at HKIA offer rooms for day-use. Latter would be particularly convenient for the OP.
Regal day rate used to be almost same as advance purchase night rate, has this improved? Also Regal is rated 5-star but is more like 3-star, only feature is the location next to the terminal.
Old May 24, 2016, 10:51 am

I've never stayed at Regal, and I don't know what the day rates are. I just recall that both Regal and Marriott had day-use options, because I'd looked into this some time ago (but never ended up doing it). I'm surprised Regal is rated 5-star. It is convenient, though.
Old May 24, 2016, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replys

Swiss tonys link to www.between9and5.com seems like my best option , I can stay between 9am to 5pm at the Charterhouse causeway bay for $84 usd.

It looks like a 30 min MTR journey so it should work out well getting a sleep and having a look round causeway bay..
Old May 24, 2016, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by ianp
Thanks for all the replys

Swiss tonys link to www.between9and5.com seems like my best option , I can stay between 9am to 5pm at the Charterhouse causeway bay for $84 usd.

It looks like a 30 min MTR journey so it should work out well getting a sleep and having a look round causeway bay..
FYI, the charterhouse night rate is really low right now (~$450), so you might be able to improve upon USD 84. In terms of the local area, while technically causeway bay, it certainly feels closer to wanchai (e.g 5 minute walk to Lockhart).
Old May 24, 2016, 11:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more

A bit more than that if you want to go MTR all the way... You have a 5 minute brisk walk between HK and Central stations (the MTR journey planner says 41 mins total for Airport to Causeway Bay), and then the hotel is around 10 minutes walk from either Wanchai or Causeway Bay MTR platforms (Causeway Bay might be better because you can walk underground, air-conditioned as far as Times Square). Alternatively, get a taxi from HK Station (cost about HK$45-50, journey time 10-15mins depending on traffic). Or there's apparently there's a minivan Hotelink shuttle service from the airport at $140 (so about the same as the Airport Express + taxi option) which allegedly takes 45-60 minutes, but only runs every 30 minutes.
Old May 25, 2016, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christep
A bit more than that if you want to go MTR all the way... You have a 5 minute brisk walk between HK and Central stations (the MTR journey planner says 41 mins total for Airport to Causeway Bay), and then the hotel is around 10 minutes walk from either Wanchai or Causeway Bay MTR platforms (Causeway Bay might be better because you can walk underground, air-conditioned as far as Times Square). Alternatively, get a taxi from HK Station (cost about HK$45-50, journey time 10-15mins depending on traffic). Or there's apparently there's a minivan Hotelink shuttle service from the airport at $140 (so about the same as the Airport Express + taxi option) which allegedly takes 45-60 minutes, but only runs every 30 minutes.
THat is a bit longer than I thought , Can anyone recommend a area closer to the airport to stay that is worth having a look at ?
Old May 25, 2016, 5:13 am

THat is a bit longer than I thought , Can anyone recommend a area closer to the airport to stay that is worth having a look at ?
I think it's a pretty good plan, to be honest.
Old May 25, 2016, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I've no idea if they do day rates, but a completely off the wall idea would be to get a Lantau Taxi (a light blue one) to Mui Wo (Silvermine Bay) and stay at the Silvermine Bay Beach Resort (a bit of a fancy term for a 3-ish star hotel on the beach). It isn't what most people think of as Hong Kong, but on a clear day you'll see some mountain scenery on the way (the taxi goes over a 1000' pass between two 3000' hills, and I guess takes about 25 minutes) and Mui Wo is a nice environment for a few hours, with a beach, a few restaurants, etc.
Old May 25, 2016, 12:02 pm

Since the OP is flying J but doesn't want to spend much on a hotel and only wants a short break, perhaps he could just wing it by napping at the lounge.

Since CX's arrival lounge is hardly conducive to getting in a nap, I wonder if there's a way for him to head to one of the departure lounges but then somehow exit out to HK from there.
Old May 26, 2016, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by evergrn
Since the OP is flying J but doesn't want to spend much on a hotel and only wants a short break, perhaps he could just wing it by napping at the lounge.

Since CX's arrival lounge is hardly conducive to getting in a nap, I wonder if there's a way for him to head to one of the departure lounges but then somehow exit out to HK from there.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...gration-8.html

(Contentious topic... I wouldn't do it myself.)

Last edited by moondog; May 26, 2016 at 7:40 am
Old May 26, 2016, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
FYI, the charterhouse night rate is really low right now (~$450), so you might be able to improve upon USD 84. In terms of the local area, while technically causeway bay, it certainly feels closer to wanchai (e.g 5 minute walk to Lockhart).
Thanks Moondog, I emailed charterhouse regarding day rates and they told me to book through between 9 and 5.com as they have a contact with them.

In the past in BKK when i have had a long stopover I write down the numbers of a few hotels and phone them from the airport on the day I arrive and ask if I can check in straight away if I book a room now , I have always got a good rate and no waoting for the room to be ready.

But there are a lot of half empty hotels in BKK ...... I assume this may not be the case in HK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.