Search

Hiking Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Hiking Hong Kong

I'm in HKG for a week over Chinese New Year in Feb. and am curious to do a few hikes including the Dragon's Back near Shek O or maybe Sai Kung but is anyone familiar with these hikes and have any feedback? Is this a popular time and would the trails be busier as a result or is everyone taking part in New Year's festivities leaving the trails empty? The weather seems good in Feb. for hikes.

I've been to Hong Kong several times but other than walking down from the Peak haven't done at longer walks or hikes and so want to do something a little different for at least one day during my stay and experience a different side of the SAR.

Any input would be appreciated. And yes, you can tell me to take a hike.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See:
http://www.meetup.com/hongkonghikingmeetup/
http://hongkonghikers.org/
http://hiking.gov.hk/eng/index.htm
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-...dden-gems.html

FT Member christep might also be helpful in this regard.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22465653-post12.html
Old Oct 21, 2014, 5:01 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
http://www.theoutdoortype.com.au/gui...trail-stage-1/
run by HK resident Michael Pieper
Old Oct 22, 2014, 6:39 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by tcook052
I'm in HKG for a week over Chinese New Year in Feb. and am curious to do a few hikes including the Dragon's Back near Shek O or maybe Sai Kung but is anyone familiar with these hikes and have any feedback?
My GF at the time & I did the Dragon's Back in August of 2010. While I might not have felt it at the time, I found it to be quite enjoyable. I don't hike very often and tend to only do it while on vacation but didn't find the hike to be too difficult. The biggest obstacle is the humidity and the sun but compared to late summer, this should be less of an issue for you in February.

I thought the hiking.gov.hk site was where I gathered our information before the hike but I can't see to find a link to the Dragon's Back on there. I recalled scouting out the exact bus stop to use after changing onto a bus near the Shau Kei Wan MTR station and that the bus stop we got off at to start the hike was in the middle of nowhere. Of course, there are no supplies on the route and only a few gazebos for shelter, so come prepared with what you need.

The three hour long hike ended for us at Tai Long Wan beach, which was a nice treat. The family run stores in the area have lockers available, including locks, that you can rent out for a few hours. Since we brought swimming gear, we were able to take advantage of the beach and swim for a bit. Once we were done, we took a minibus to either Chai Wan or Shau Kei Wan MTR station to head back to Mong Kong, where we were staying.

I have some photos available on my Flickr account if you are interested.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:23 pm

The dragons back is one of the worst hikes you can do on a holiday, as there is a bus station half way up and busloads disembark to head up.

I am a very regular hiker with the meetup group, doing more than 50k per week. If you are good enough for a difficult hike, one of my favourites is Lantau Peak from Tung Chung MTR. A total of 13 km to Pak Kung Au with about 1000m of elevation gain. Was just up there yesterday. But it has a very steep part. From Po Lin Monastery it is only 1.8 km up but 530 m gain.

Another nice one is the first 2 stages of Wilson trail. Also about 1000 m elevation gain split up between 4 hills.

If you like it easier, I suggest the first 2 stages of Hong Kong trail, starting from the peak.

Last edited by HKtraveller; Oct 22, 2014 at 8:29 pm
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:16 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
I thought the hiking.gov.hk site was where I gathered our information before the hike but I can't see to find a link to the Dragon's Back on there. I recalled scouting out the exact bus stop to use after changing onto a bus near the Shau Kei Wan MTR station and that the bus stop we got off at to start the hike was in the middle of nowhere. Of course, there are no supplies on the route and only a few gazebos for shelter, so come prepared with what you need.
It's Stage 8 of the Hong Kong Trail. http://hiking.gov.hk/eng/longtrail/h.../hktrail08.htm
Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
The three hour long hike ended for us at Tai Long Wan beach
Originally Posted by HKtraveller
If you are good enough for a difficult hike, one of my favourites is Lantau Peak from Tung Chung MTR. A total of 13 km to Pak Kung Au with about 1000m of elevation gain. Was just up there yesterday. But it has a very steep part. From Po Lin Monastery it is only 1.8 km up but 530 m gain.

Another nice one is the first 2 stages of Wilson trail. Also about 1000 m elevation gain split up between 4 hills.

If you like it easier, I suggest the first 2 stages of Hong Kong trail, starting from the peak.
Just as a point of comparison, HKtraveller would, I believe, take about 1hr20 over the hike from To Tei Wan to Tai Long Wan beach if he wasn't pushing and about an hour if he was! So care is needed with recommendations for hikes.

Three hours for 8km is an extraordinarily relaxed pace!
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by christep
It's Stage 8 of the Hong Kong Trail. http://hiking.gov.hk/eng/longtrail/h.../hktrail08.htm

Just as a point of comparison, HKtraveller would, I believe, take about 1hr20 over the hike from To Tei Wan to Tai Long Wan beach if he wasn't pushing and about an hour if he was! So care is needed with recommendations for hikes.

Nah, 1 hour would involve serious running (It is the guys 30 years younger than me who do that). I'd say I do it in 1:30. On a Sunday you may need close to three hours as the track is quite narrow at parts and you just can't overtake the crowds on a stroll. If you then take a few breaks to enjoy the view, it is about right.
I just don't get the very difficult classification as there is only about 150 m gain.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 2:30 am

Christep, your guess was better than I thought. Did it reverse today from Chai Wan MTR up the graveyard. Then light jogging all the way except uphills. Got throug in 1 hour 2 minutes. On the way back with a beginners group (where it was rated an easy hike 2.2/5), at chatting and sightseeing speed, 2 hours.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:15 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Christep, your guess was better than I thought.
Several years of running hiking groups here has that effect!
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:34 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by christep
I blame the now ex-GF.

I'm back in HK in about a month, so I might have to do one of the other hikes that HKtraveller mentioned. Haven't done much outdoorsy stuff in Hong Kong in awhile, so assuming that the weather holds up a hike and/or swim may be in the cards, although November may not be the most pleasant for swimming.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Which trails are the most scenic? (think photography)

Thanks.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by allset2travel
Which trails are the most scenic? (think photography)

Thanks.
There are many very scenic hikes. The most important 2 questions are: How hard are you able to do and how likely is a view.
Lantau peak for example has a very nice 360 degree view, is quite hard to get to (over 50% steepness in parts) and quite often in clouds.
An easy very scenic part is Section 1 of HK trail starting from the peak.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:09 am

The dragons back is one of the worst hikes you can do on a holiday, as there is a bus station half way up and busloads disembark to head up.

I am a very regular hiker with the meetup group, doing more than 50k per week. If you are good enough for a difficult hike, one of my favourites is Lantau Peak from Tung Chung MTR. A total of 13 km to Pak Kung Au with about 1000m of elevation gain. Was just up there yesterday. But it has a very steep part. From Po Lin Monastery it is only 1.8 km up but 530 m gain.

If it's not a holiday/weekend, would you say that Dragon's Back is a nice hike in comparison to the other ones you mention here? And is it less likely to be foggy (ie, no views) than, say, Lantau / Ngong Ping Trail?

Also, is Dragon's Back feasible with little kids? My 4yo has never hiked more than ~1.5hrs and starts complaining after 30min. I wonder if Dragon's Back is feasible to be done as just a certain portion of it (rather than the whole thing) and still be enjoyable and cover the highlights. My kids would never be able to do Ngong Ping Trail btw.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by evergrn
If it's not a holiday/weekend, would you say that Dragon's Back is a nice hike in comparison to the other ones you mention here? And is it less likely to be foggy (ie, no views) than, say, Lantau / Ngong Ping Trail?

Also, is Dragon's Back feasible with little kids? My 4yo has never hiked more than ~1.5hrs and starts complaining after 30min. I wonder if Dragon's Back is feasible to be done as just a certain portion of it (rather than the whole thing) and still be enjoyable and cover the highlights. My kids would never be able to do Ngong Ping Trail btw.
Dragon's back from the bus stop is just 150 m up and 350 m downhill (elevation), the distance is about 8 km. It is a nice hike on a weekday, but with kids you will need significantly more than 1.5 h (I'd carry a 4 yo after he gets too impatient).

HK trail from the peak is easier (no hills unless you want to do them) and also much easier and faster to get to.

For Dragon's back you will need to go to Shau Kei Wan MTR station and take Bus number 9 from there. Back from Big wave bay there is a Minibus. To the Peak I suggest the peak tram at least one way.

For the weather, you always can catch a misty day, but it is not mostly misty as is Lantau Peak.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 7:04 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
Another option would be Tai O to Po Lin, this way you combine a hike with both visits of the monastery and the fishermen's village :-)

It's part of the Lantau trail I believe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.