Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kowloon, habour view hotel rooms for 4

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2016, 2:13 am
Original Poster

Kowloon, habour view hotel rooms for 4

Have been to Hong Kong many a time. Most of the times staying at the Sheraton Kowloon. Really enjoy the habour view towards Hong Kong Island.

Now my wife and I are taking our kids (12 and 14) to Hong Kong. And I am really strugling to find a hotel room in Kowloon with habour view that can fit 4 persons. Two connecting rooms is of course an option, but 1) price does take a jump, and 2) this can not be guaranteed.

My best bet right now is the Renaissance in Wan Chai, where I have a club level suite for 4 persons at HKD 4,000 a night. But it is on the island - and there is construction in front of it - if I got it right. Can get two standard habour view rooms at the Sheraton for around that. But prepaid - and connecting rooms can not guaranteed as stated above..

Recommendations?
Old May 12, 2016, 1:24 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The great view rooms tend to be for 2 people, even when quite large, while the family suites often have no view; that's just the market. The Hyatt Regency does have 2 bedroom suites (for USD 500 range, depends on date) which may be an option. So does the Salisbury YMCA next door to the Peninsula, great location and value.
Old May 12, 2016, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
1) If you're really keen to stay at the Sheraton, call the hotel directly. I have found hotels in Asia more than happy to confirm interconnecting rooms at the time of booking (unlike most European or US properties).

2) Think carefully about the extra value you get from that harbour view. Looks to me like you might be paying a 100% markup over a non-view property, which is a LOT of trips on the Star Ferry...
Old May 12, 2016, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
The great view rooms tend to be for 2 people, even when quite large, while the family suites often have no view; that's just the market. The Hyatt Regency does have 2 bedroom suites (for USD 500 range, depends on date) which may be an option. So does the Salisbury YMCA next door to the Peninsula, great location and value.
Have tried the Hytat Regency seems there no rooms for four person Two interconnecting ones is an option - but more expensive than the Sheraton.

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
1) If you're really keen to stay at the Sheraton, call the hotel directly. I have found hotels in Asia more than happy to confirm interconnecting rooms at the time of booking (unlike most European or US properties)..
Thanks -will do that. Tried pre-mail - and only got a Towers offer

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
2) Think carefully about the extra value you get from that harbour view. Looks to me like you might be paying a 100% markup over a non-view property, which is a LOT of trips on the Star Ferry...
Certainly a valid point - However, I do value to enjoy the view, both in the morning, mid-day when taking that relax time that is often nice as well as at night. At the Sheraton Harbour view is as little as 2-400 HKD per night compared to a standard room. Then of course you choose to move further up Kowloon, e.g. Cordis. But I will "only" cut 3-400 HKD per night. So paying 6-800 HKD per night for habour view is a sum - but to me it is worth it.
Old May 12, 2016, 6:21 am

We have a family of four, but my kids are much smaller than yours. In my experience, hotels on the Kowloon side that have allowed all of us to stay in a regular room include IC HKG, Shangri-la, Hyatt TST and Cordis. You book 2 adults & 1 child (since booking engine does not show inventory for 2+2), then you contact the hotel to see if they would allow another child in the room. I've been told no by Sheraton, and IC Grand Stanford wanted to charge a huge amount of extra fee.

But with kids 12 & 14yo, I honestly think it's going to be tough. Shangri-la may allow it, but I'm not sure. Your best bet would be Cordis, which has the so-called Family Quad room that has 2 singles, 1 king. Some of the rooms at Cordis will give you the view of HK skyline, albeit more off in the distance than it would be from TST.
Old May 12, 2016, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OFFlyer
Certainly a valid point - However, I do value to enjoy the view, both in the morning, mid-day when taking that relax time that is often nice as well as at night. At the Sheraton Harbour view is as little as 2-400 HKD per night compared to a standard room. Then of course you choose to move further up Kowloon, e.g. Cordis. But I will "only" cut 3-400 HKD per night. So paying 6-800 HKD per night for habour view is a sum - but to me it is worth it.
I was thinking if you stayed somewhere like the Eaton on Nathan Road, you could probably get a room for about HK$2000. We nearly stayed there last year (2 adults, 3 kids) but then a cash & points rate came up at the Conrad. I prefer island side & they were happy to confirm interconnecting rooms, too.

If you're spending an extra 600-800 for the view then I can see why it's justifiable, but I was thinking 2,000 extra!
Old May 12, 2016, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by OFFlyer
Now my wife and I are taking our kids (12 and 14) to Hong Kong. And I am really strugling to find a hotel room in Kowloon with habour view that can fit 4 persons.
If your kids are 12 and 14, why are you even looking for a room for 4? There is little offer and you'll most likely not save much anyway. Just book two rooms and enjoy the extra privacy with your wife.
Old May 12, 2016, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mmff
If your kids are 12 and 14, why are you even looking for a room for 4? There is little offer and you'll most likely not save much anyway. Just book two rooms and enjoy the extra privacy with your wife.
I wouldn't want two kids of that age alone in a hotel room at night in a foreign country.
Old May 12, 2016, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I wouldn't want two kids of that age alone in a hotel room at night in a foreign country.
Well, to each their own and we're venturing into OT territory. (My fault, I know.)

This said, I can't see the problem if the hotel rooms are next to each other, one of the two children is 14, and the parents trust their children in the first place.
Old May 12, 2016, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.