Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best hotel in HK

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2016, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Best hotel in HK

Best hotel in HK for attending event at the convention center?
Old May 9, 2016, 11:32 am

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
Which convention centre are you attending? If your conference is at the HKCEC, the most convenient hotel would be Grand Hyatt or Renaissance. They are literally within the same development complex.
Old May 9, 2016, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I like the Mandarin. Pen quite nice as well but a bit further.

(you didn't say anything about Starwood )
Old May 9, 2016, 1:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Best hotel or best Starwood hotel?

a) Peninsula or IC

b) W, or maybe a Towers level room at the Sheraton for the lounge and location.
Old May 9, 2016, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Best hotel or best Starwood hotel?

a) Peninsula or IC

b) W, or maybe a Towers level room at the Sheraton for the lounge and location.
Well as we are in the SPG forum, i was thinking about the sheraton or Le meridian and wonder how convenient it is to go to the convention center (taxi / uber).

But hyatt or hilton is also an option, but would prefer SPG.

The shearaton is a good option? good recognition of plat?
Old May 9, 2016, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by l380
Which convention centre are you attending? If your conference is at the HKCEC, the most convenient hotel would be Grand Hyatt or Renaissance. They are literally within the same development complex.
HKCEC but the deals at Sheraton are tempting.
Old May 9, 2016, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html
Old May 10, 2016, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Hum... thanks. Sounds that Sheraton HK sucks regarding lounge and Platinum recognition. W is too expensive and Le meridien is too far away... sounds we are going to check Hyatt...
Old May 10, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by frenchft
Well as we are in the SPG forum, i was thinking about the sheraton or Le meridian and wonder how convenient it is to go to the convention center (taxi / uber).

But hyatt or hilton is also an option, but would prefer SPG.

The shearaton is a good option? good recognition of plat?
Personally, I wouldn't stay in the Sheraton, although Towers level might be OK.

If you'll be using transportation anyway and want Starwood, the W is great and has treated this Platinum very well, although it's been getting expensive and with it now being a higher category, redeeming points is not the value it used to be. To me, LM seems to be far from everything.
Old May 11, 2016, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Personally, I wouldn't stay in the Sheraton, although Towers level might be OK.

If you'll be using transportation anyway and want Starwood, the W is great and has treated this Platinum very well, although it's been getting expensive and with it now being a higher category, redeeming points is not the value it used to be. To me, LM seems to be far from everything.
Thanks. At the end i did the same analysis. Weird that they are not more SPG in Hong kong... offer is relatively poor vs the city.
Old May 11, 2016, 2:38 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
I have no idea why any FT would suggest the Pennisula or the IC to anyone.

Along with the Sheraton, they are all very old and ancient hotels in Tsim Sha Tsui. Does it offer breathtaking views? Maybe. Do they offer spectacular service? Sometimes. Does it come with a visit by Dracula? Very likely.

As a local, I wouldn't stay in any of those rooms even for free. With the exception of presidential suite at the IC.

There are plenty of cheaper and decent modern hotels in HK with a view of the harbor. TST Hyatt Regency for example. Heck, just have a drink at those hotels if you must.

Best Starwood? W.
Old May 11, 2016, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by miloworld
I have no idea why any FT would suggest the Pennisula or the IC to anyone.

Along with the Sheraton, they are all very old and ancient hotels in Tsim Sha Tsui. Does it offer breathtaking views? Maybe. Do they offer spectacular service? Sometimes. Does it come with a visit by Dracula? Very likely.

As a local, I wouldn't stay in any of those rooms even for free. With the exception of presidential suite at the IC.

There are plenty of cheaper and decent modern hotels in HK with a view of the harbor. TST Hyatt Regency for example. Heck, just have a drink at those hotels if you must.

Best Starwood? W.

Milo,

laugh until tears drop :P

Thanks.
Old May 12, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
If you want to stay at Starwood then I believe the Sheraton would be your best bet. It is about a 10 minute walk to the star ferry and then a quick ride across the bay. The ferry terminates right at the convention center. My guess is that it is a bit less than a 30 minute trip in total.

If you want to be really close then the Hyatt or Renaissance, as mentioned above, would be your best bet.

You could also do the W and take the subway. I think it would be slightly less than a 30 minute trip there as well.
Old May 13, 2016, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by omegadeal
If you want to stay at Starwood then I believe the Sheraton would be your best bet. It is about a 10 minute walk to the star ferry and then a quick ride across the bay. The ferry terminates right at the convention center. My guess is that it is a bit less than a 30 minute trip in total.

If you want to be really close then the Hyatt or Renaissance, as mentioned above, would be your best bet.

You could also do the W and take the subway. I think it would be slightly less than a 30 minute trip there as well.
IIRC there are two Star Ferry routes from Kowloon to Central, with one of them going to the convention center, so the frequency might not be quite as good. Still, it would be a lot of fun to commute to your meetings via the Star Ferry.

However, for the Sheraton, please think seriously about booking a Towers room. I say this because whenever I've been near the Sheraton, the lobby has been mobbed with people who seem to be part of tour groups. It seems to me that there are always long lines for the front desk, etc., so doing the hotel within a hotel would make this property a much more pleasant experience.
Old May 14, 2016, 6:00 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
A few years ago I stayed at the Sheraton for a few days while attending a conference at the convention center. It was great to walk over in the morning and take the Star Ferry across. Of course the weather will also play a factor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.