Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Food & Beverage Prices at Intercontinental HK???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2016, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!

Just booked Intercontinental Hong Kong and was looking at some of their menus. I don't drink alcohol, coffee or tea so just noticed the price of water.

500 mls of Fiji water was listed as HK$80. Translating if I am correct to AUD$13.54... PLUS 10% tax.

Please tell me I am doing these additions wrong? Pancakes were only HK$100!

(Yes I know I can go outside to eat and drink)

THank you.

https://hongkong-ic.intercontinental..._breakfast.pdf
Old May 3, 2016, 2:56 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Fiji water is priced super-premium.....there are other bottled water available from HKD 1 (street vendors) on up. Presuming you are at the nice Intercontinental (ex-Regent), they do have hefty F&B prices but top-notch quality and maybe worth the high price. Otherwise go to the shopping mall next door, much cheaper food available. Even the Pen can be cheaper than the IC I guess you pay for their view
Old May 3, 2016, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes I am at the "nice" IC. I figure it is the dearer of the two so it has to be nicer.

So there is a shopping mall next door? That's good. I am not one to be a super skimper but I thought no way in hell we'll be drinking here. It didn't make sense that yummy breakfast pancakes are only slightly more than plain old water.

My husband loves tootling around the restaurant areas and loves eating at Hawker Centres (if that's what they are called in HK). So he will enjoy that.

Any suggestions near the IC we might like to eat at.
Old May 3, 2016, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Please tell me I am doing these additions wrong? Pancakes were only HK$100!
Once, I asked FT about the ridiculous breakfast buffet offered by the Westin Chosun Seoul for USD $40.

Now I won't criticize for IC Hong Kong charging HKD$80 for a bottle of Fuji water.

Any suggestions near the IC we might like to eat at.
For Hawker Centres (Hawker Bazaar officially), the nearest one is located at Haiphong Road (Haiphong Road Temporary Cooked Food Hawker Bazaar).

Silvercord, a shopping mall next to the Hawker Bazaar, has some good food choices (like Din Tai Fung).

A walk will be unavoidable. The easiest way to access that area is to through the Harbour City (walking through the mall).
Old May 3, 2016, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
There is no shopping center next to the IC right now. But there are convenience stores at the TST-East station just outside the hotel. Down the escalators.
Old May 3, 2016, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks folks. I appreciate the info.

I just looked on tripadvisor. This guy from California made me giggle with his comment;

Is it ever reasonable to pay $160 for a burger? I don't think so, it took me a while to compute how much it cost but when I had done the conversion - true enough $160 for a burger. That's the most expensive burger I have ever seen. To be clear I didn't buy it - but it speaks volumes about this hotel.
Old May 3, 2016, 7:09 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Reasonable? No, but expectedly expensive. It seems like you are staying on points (otherwise you wouldn't be looking at the breakfast price since Virtuoso gives comp breakfast). It won't be so bad spending $80 on a drink when a $300/night room is free
Old May 3, 2016, 10:13 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
500 mls of Fiji water was listed as HK$80. Translating if I am correct to AUD$13.54... PLUS 10% tax.
Tap water is free and just as good in HK as it is in Australia.
Old May 3, 2016, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
All premium hotels have premium in room F+B pricing. 7-11s are all over the place where you can get water/beer/wine/liquor at a very reasonable price.

The HK equivalent of the SG Hawker Centre is Dai Pai Dong. The closest one to IC HK is probably Temple St night Market.
Old May 3, 2016, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by christep
Seriously???
Old May 3, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
Seriously???
I don't know if christep is kidding or not but I have never had a problem with tap water in HK.
Old May 3, 2016, 3:53 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by Madone59
I don't know if christep is kidding or not but I have never had a problem with tap water in HK.
True locals almost never drink straight from the tap.

I guess hotel roof top water tanks are cleaned more frequently, and less likely to have dead things in them. Plumbing is of higher quality with no lead soldering,
Old May 3, 2016, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TOMFORD
Reasonable? No, but expectedly expensive. It seems like you are staying on points (otherwise you wouldn't be looking at the breakfast price since Virtuoso gives comp breakfast). It won't be so bad spending $80 on a drink when a $300/night room is free
Nope. Not on points! Paying the big bucks! My travel agent suggested just booking the room as she said they let you pay for the lounge separately when there and if I want I can get breakfast there. Although husband loves to eat like a local when there so there's no point in paying extra for breakfast if he is going to eat with the locals.

No price I looked at had complimentary breakfast. It's always $80 to $100 dearer a night.
Old May 3, 2016, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christep
Originally Posted by Madone59
Originally Posted by beep88
True locals almost never drink straight from the tap.

I guess hotel roof top water tanks are cleaned more frequently, and less likely to have dead things in them. Plumbing is of higher quality with no lead soldering,
I googled the quality of HK tap water last night! Thanks all!
Old May 3, 2016, 7:08 pm

IC provides you with plenty of complimentary bottled purified water. Housekeeping leaves 3 or 4 500cc bottles everyday, more if needed upon turn-down service. If you drink like a horse and need even more than that, there's plenty of even more bottled water for free at the gym. When I visit HK, I never need to buy water. Forget Fiji Water or tap water!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.