Wiki Posts
Search

Genki Sushi in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2016, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Genki Sushi in Hong Kong

I just adore conveyor belt sushi so I thought I'd look for some during my 12 hour stopover in Hong Kong this coming Friday Feb. 12. I think there is a chain called Genki Sushi. I will be coming off the Airport Express at HK to visit Victoria Peak.

Anyone know where the closest Genki Sushi to this locale is? if there are no close by Genki Sushi restaurants are there any other conveyor belt sushi places?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
http://www.genkisushi.com.hk/en/

Don't get your expectations too high: it's pretty basic stuff.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
With your limited time, I certainly wouldn't make a special trip to Genki.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Did a bit more looking and there is conveyor belt sushi in IFC Mall at Sen Ryo restaurant. Menu looks tasfy.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by susiesan
Did a bit more looking and there is conveyor belt sushi in IFC Mall at Sen Ryo restaurant. Menu looks tasfy.
Same company as Genki. At higher-rent locations and therefore higher prices. Hahahah...
Old Feb 10, 2016, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
There is a itamae sushi both on the land and air side of HKG. I'm thinking about having a meal there during my layover at HKG next week.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:17 am

There's a Genki Sushi right across the street from the bus terminal at Admiralty Station. From the top of Peak, you can either take a cab to get dropped off at Admiralty Station, or take the Tram down and walk back through HK Garden and down through Pacific Place / Admiralty complex down to Genki Sushi.

However, I will say that Genki Sushi is about the last place I'd consider going to in HK. They're pretty mediocre, and they actually have locations in the US. There's just so much better food to be had in HK than kaiten sushi.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:32 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Sen ryo is better than genki. Itamae/itacho is far worse. Maybe like Chipotle vs Taco Bell.

I think sen-ryo is the best conveyor belt sushi you can get in HK. Of course if you forfeit the conveyor belt feature there's lots of better stuff...like those on Minden Ave
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:23 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Sorry, but conveyor belt sushi + HK??! If you're keen on having Japanese food during your layover, do yourself a flavor and just head to Inagiku at IFC podium after getting off the AEX. Some of their set lunch menu's aren't that expensive. Added bonus if the weather's nice.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:33 am

Are you taking the Tram or taxi up the Peak? There's also the Nadaman at Shangri-La, but slightly out of the way.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Sen ryo is better than genki. Itamae/itacho is far worse. Maybe like Chipotle vs Taco Bell.
Genki is average among price, quality, etc. However, if kaiten sushi is a must, Genki will be my choice. Otherwise, I rather choose hodai (Japanese-styled all you can eat) instead.

Itamae/Itacho are places that I will definitely avoid at all costs.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I think apart from the different preference (Genki has more variation on the sushi whereas Itamae is more plain which I prefer) - whether Genki or Itamae is better depending in which branch (sushi master) IMO. E.g. the Genki in Lam Tin is really really bad, the sushi came with rice that was loose as soon as you took it. Complained and got the sushi with the same problem, that's unacceptable. The Itamae in Taipo SuperCity was like that - really so so quality. My friend said the Genki nearby is 100% better.

Tried Genki in Tokyo, not impressive by the quality (rice was loose and the fish was so so) but I like the price.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 5:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
If OP must get convey belt sushi on Hong Kong, my vote goes to sen-ryo at kowloon hotel B2 floor, it's one of their flagship store yet it's quite low traffic. Normally me and my girlfriend would end up 400 HKD per head which is reasonable consider the location and environment. Attentive staff too.

I would avoid itami and itacho at all cost as their quality has fall off the cliff for quite some years. Genki I would have it only if I want a quick lunch.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
But just to be clear, Genki/Itami etc are places where you'd need to be a complete pig to spend more than $200 (+ drinks). So sen-ryo is twice the price at least.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 3:15 am

Can't wait till OP report back where she ended up going.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.