Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Best place to buy photography equipment in HK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2016, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond

The mrs will be in HK for a couple of days and as a wedding photographer is keen to buy some lenses, having heard stories about the prices there.

Does anyone have any recommendations, ideally quite specific ones!
Old Jan 31, 2016, 5:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

TST??
Old Jan 31, 2016, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by moondog
TST??
I hope you're kidding.

Anyways, I buy from authorised dealers that cater to locals, not mainlanders, not gweilos. In recent years, I've mainly bought from:

Cam2, 9/F, 51 Sai Yeung Choi Street South, Mongkok

When there's something out of stock, I may go to the Mongkok location of this bigger chain:

Tin Cheung, 1/F, 47 Shantung Street, Mongkok

Tin Cheung usually charges a little more, but no surcharge for credit cards. So, if paying by CC, prices are about the same.

And for Nikon stuff, you may want to check out this independent and old fashioned store. I was referred to by Nikon's distributor when getting binoculars:

Kowloon Photo Service, 5 Woosung St, Jordan
Old Jan 31, 2016, 6:53 am
Original Poster

This will be for Canon gear. Are these fixed prices or bargainable?
Old Jan 31, 2016, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aceman
This will be for Canon gear. Are these fixed prices or bargainable?
Not fixed price. Prices are competitive and usually goes down in time, so they often won't display them. You need to ask in person, and perhaps go to more than one store to check prices.

Edit: want to add that prices are generally NOT bargainable. They tell you the price and it's take it or leave it and go elsewhere.

Last edited by rkkwan; Jan 31, 2016 at 8:06 am
Old Jan 31, 2016, 10:49 am

New Sankyo Camera comes to my mind immediately.
In the Holiday Inn mall, accessible from Mody Rd.
I know Tony, the owner since 1990. Very professional and never more than a few dollars above the cheapest price you can get from potential cheaters.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Not fixed price. Prices are competitive and usually goes down in time, so they often won't display them. You need to ask in person, and perhaps go to more than one store to check prices.

Edit: want to add that prices are generally NOT bargainable. They tell you the price and it's take it or leave it and go elsewhere.
Unless you go to those shops in TST where you get a much better model than what you asked for for a much better price. Only back home you may realize what you have been taken for.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
You can also try those on Fat Yuen Street at Mong Kok (between Argyle Street and Nelson Street).

I will avoid TST at all costs.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by garykung
...I will avoid TST at all costs.
Except the one in the holiday Inn where you get professional stuff at absolutely right prices. The only thing you need to ask if it comes with or without warranty. The ones without often come at better prices.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
For Hong Kong distributor product and you know what you want to get, then Wing Shing / Man Shing gets my vote

http://www.wingshingphoto.com/contact.php
Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
How much can you save over US prices to make it worth not having a US warranty when you need to have it repaired?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wco81
How much can you save over US prices to make it worth not having a US warranty when you need to have it repaired?
I think most bits are now worldwide warranties. -But this is going to the uk anyway.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by aceman
I think most bits are now worldwide warranties. -But this is going to the uk anyway.
I would check the prices first to see if the savings make up for the setbacks if any.
www.price.com.hk
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In years past, US prices are equivalent or slightly better than HK. But with the cheaper yens and US prices staying more or less the same, there is indeed a gap, and sometimes huge gap. For example, I bought the Canon G7 X in HK last fall at around HK$3,100 which is US$400 and it's more or less the same now. B&H is selling it for $599.

I also bought a 7D Mk2 then. Right now, B&H wants $1,499. HK price right now is down to about HK$9,000 (US$1,170). [Was just under HK$10,000 (US$1,300) when I bought it.]

Edit:

Want to add that the G7 X was bought at Cam2 and 7D2 at Tin Cheung. All official HK imports and these are on the list of authorised dealers when registering the products on Canon HK site.

Last edited by rkkwan; Feb 1, 2016 at 8:35 pm
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by rkkwan
In years past, US prices are equivalent or slightly better than HK. But with the cheaper yens and US prices staying more or less the same, there is indeed a gap, and sometimes huge gap. For example, I bought the Canon G7 X in HK last fall at around HK$3,100 which is US$400 and it's more or less the same now. B&H is selling it for $599.

This may be one of the more extreme case, but the gap exists for plenty.
If you qualify for vat refund (non EU resident), even Germany has prices very close to HK and come with a compulsory minimum 2 year warranty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.