Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Entering HK After Entering secure area in transit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2015, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL

my wife and I are transiting HKG from SIN to LAX in a few weeks. For various reasons my flight is 8 hrs later than hers. I would like to transit normally with her and go to the Wing, then once she boards her flight I'd like to go into town for several hours. I've been to HK before so I know immigration and the airport express are very doable, but I also know many airports make leaving the secure area after passport control (re-entering the country basically) difficult or impossible.

Can anyone tell me if/how I can do this, or do I have to bring a good book?

Thanks.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 6:48 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I am passing through HKIA tomorrow and I can ask someone for you.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TA
I am passing through HKIA tomorrow and I can ask someone for you.
Thank you, I appreciate you taking the time.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See these threads in the cx forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...migration.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...ng-lounge.html
Old Dec 5, 2015, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Thanks for the threads. Sounds like it is still possible. I don't quite understand the hostility displayed by some to the practice. Cheers.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 8:23 pm
TA

I have just asked multiple airline/airport info desks. The answer ranges from "impossible once you've forgone the direct arrivals exit" (most of the answers) to "you will have to ask your airline for permission" (one answer). Sounds like it will be a matter of finding the right person to help you, and I guess the staff at the lounge may be your best bet. I wouldn't 100% count on the allowance/finding someone to help you do it... but worth a try anyway I suppose!
Old Dec 5, 2015, 9:46 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The airline you are flying has to fill in a form to allow you to go landside. I've done this with CX albeit several years ago, and they had a special form in the Wing with some convoluted wording that basically authorized you to go landside to access the ticketing office; you then show this to security to go through the checkpoint "in the wrong direction" to the arrivals hall and then go through immigration/customs as normal arrival. In the current security environment that may be impossible or it may flag you for special processing (which you want to avoid). Personally I would no longer try it.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 12:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by number_6
The airline you are flying has to fill in a form to allow you to go landside. ... with some convoluted wording that basically authorized you to go landside to access the ticketing office
What if you no longer have an airline? For example, you're in the departure area - perhaps you originated locally and did not go through transit security - and then for whatever reason you change your mind about traveling and just want to leave the airport. Perhaps there was a business or family emergency.

I would imagine the answer still would be to get your ticketed airline to help, but in such a case, there would be no need to access the airline ticketing office. There must be some provision to exit the airport without needing this pretext.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 12:52 am

as you will only get in the depature area with a valid boarding pass you'll have to contact the airline that issued the boarding pass.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TA
I have just asked multiple airline/airport info desks. The answer ranges from "impossible once you've forgone the direct arrivals exit" (most of the answers) to "you will have to ask your airline for permission" (one answer). Sounds like it will be a matter of finding the right person to help you, and I guess the staff at the lounge may be your best bet. I wouldn't 100% count on the allowance/finding someone to help you do it... but worth a try anyway I suppose!
Thanks for doing this, I do appreciate it.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
It is always possible.

What if you have to change travel plans and need to go into town, or not fly at all that day, due to medical/business/personal reasons?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 2:09 pm
TA

Originally Posted by beep88
It is always possible.

What if you have to change travel plans and need to go into town, or not fly at all that day, due to medical/business/personal reasons?
Those things have to do with canceling a ticket and breaking your travel plans. Of course they have allowances for those situations. This is about voluntarily leaving the airport only to return later, during a layover.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
No one ever said it's impossible. It was and is possible. Just some hassles, understandable since they don't want people to abuse/overuse this possibility.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 1:42 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
If you follow the procedure and have the right form stamped with the right chop it isn't even a hassle, however they actively discourage it and your motivations may be interrogated or you may be profiled for further inspection in future visits to HKG. I only know the way CX handles this in the Wing, other airlines may do it differently.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
If you follow the procedure and have the right form stamped with the right chop it isn't even a hassle, however they actively discourage it and your motivations may be interrogated or you may be profiled for further inspection in future visits to HKG. I only know the way CX handles this in the Wing, other airlines may do it differently.
Do you have any evidence that security flagging occurs for people who have used this facility?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.