Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ex-PEK to USA on CATHAY and HRP issues

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2015, 1:47 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
ex-PEK to USA on CATHAY and HRP issues

I normally travel between HKG and USA on CX ex-TPE/TYO but the ex-PEK fares are too cheap to resist, so I really want to switch my origin to PEK soon. However, although I have full Chinese citizenship by birth (HKID, HRP, HK passport), my US visa is on my UK passport (also full British citizenship by descent). I'm now afraid that I might be grilled at the PEK border on exit and re-entry (initial entry by repositioning should be OK since I'll just get a one-way redemption with Avios ex-HKG and use HRP).

The major issue is both US and China would require API, so would I have to/is it possible to change the API on every leg of each PEK-HKG-USA-HKG-PEK itinerary? Probably at the check in counter of each port I guess?

When I leave PEK (for HKG before USA), I will use my HRP, will border control know that I'm headed for the US and have to check my docs? Would a 24h+ stopover in HKG make it easier (ex-China fares are very lenient with stopovers)

I assume at the US port when I do the return, US-HKG-PEK, the CX ground staff will be okay if I tell/show them that I have HRP to get to PEK, and there isn't any immigration doc check to leave the US anyway. So upon my final arrival in PEK (from HKG) will border control want to see anything more than HRP, if they ever know that my itinerary originated from the US?

I know by Chinese nationality law people in my situation are allowed to have foreign passports as 'travel docs', but I don't want to mess at the border at any chance...
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:49 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Chinese border control (or indeed any outbound border control anywhere) have no responsibility to check your documents for your destination - they simply log you out of the country. The people who will check that you have the necessary documents for your destination are the airline at check-in (or gate if you do a machine checkin). So I wouldn't expect any problem at all: show CX checkin your US passport and show Chinese outbound immigration your HRP/HKID/HK Passport.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Agree with christep. You are clearly over-thing all of this.

CX in PEK only cares if you have rights to enter US.
Immigration in PEK only cares if you entered China legally and didn't over-stay, and wasn't on blacklist.
CX in US only cares if you have rights to enter China.

That's all.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 12:05 am

Exit immigration in china only checks if your documents are okay in china, (are you wanted?, blacklisted?, entered illegally? or overstayed?). If you can enter your destination doesn't matter to them, but it will to the airline. If your not holding the necessary visa/passport to enter your destination it's the airlines responsibility to send you back.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 3:32 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Thanks for the input everyone ^ much appreciated. I am probably thinking too much.

The scenario in my mind is that the PEK border officer will see on his/her screen (from CX's API) that I am bounded for/returning from the states and start raising questions...(or worse, see my UK passport number/nationality and start grilling me)

But I haven't been to PEK for too long. Apparently HRP holders don't even need to see an officer now? There are e-gates?

Last edited by G-CIVC; Dec 2, 2015 at 3:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.