Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Best way to get to Hyatt Regency, Tsim Sha Tsui from airport for family ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2015, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, PC Plat, Hertz 5*

Hi - Would getting an Uber be better than a taxi to ge the the Hyatt fromt he airport for a family of 3 ? If the taxi is only a few more dollars and can pick me up from arrival I would prefer that.

If UBER is substantially a better AND cheaper option then we could walk a little.

UBER Black is showing rates of $151 which don't look too bad.

What would you recommend ?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
HK$151 for airport to TST on über black? That doesn't sound right. It should cost more than taxi, which is around $250.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 3:34 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Actually I have noticed that the fares are not bad. For Airport --> Sheraton TST it estimated HK$186-229 (for an Uber Van), which is competitive with Airport Express for 2 people.

Edit -- although I discover that using the AE discounts in the other wiki thread here, AE for 2 people falls to HK$118, so that is probably a better choice if the additional journey steps are not troublesome.

Last edited by TA; Nov 21, 2015 at 3:41 am
Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:20 am

I have not explored using Uber in Hong Kong. So far, we use the CityBus A21 to get to Tsim Sha Tsui area. This video shows you an example.

The cost was HKD33 per adult and half price for children.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I would avoid uber in Hong Kong at the moment:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0QG1L920150812

Long story short - uber isn't legal in Hong Kong. It is a matter of when Hong Kong Police will do another raid.

So book at your own risks.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by garykung
I would avoid uber in Hong Kong at the moment:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0QG1L920150812

Long story short - uber isn't legal in Hong Kong. It is a matter of when Hong Kong Police will do another raid.

So book at your own risks.
There is no risk to passengers unless your car happens to get pulled over while you're in it. Uber is under heat in lots of markets; hardly cause for concern.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by moondog
There is no risk to passengers unless your car happens to get pulled over while you're in it. Uber is under heat in lots of markets; hardly cause for concern.
My concern is booking cancellation.

This can significantly screw up plans.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 3:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by garykung
My concern is booking cancellation.

This can significantly screw up plans.
You can't book in advance anyway.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 10:09 am

Never tried Uber at the HK airport but taxi is easy. There is a taxi stand and it is pretty well signed. I would recommend taking a taxi since airport express and then switching to a taxi probably won't save you much for 3 persons.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
You can't book in advance anyway.
Advance or not, you still need to book it...
Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:53 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
"Booking" with Uber means pressing the button on the app about 5 minutes before you want the cab. If it confirms, you are getting your ride, and it's not really a worry that the guy is going to be busted/cancelled in that time frame...

If you want advance guaranteed booking, call a taxi or car service.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by aterug
Hi - Would getting an Uber be better than a taxi to ge the the Hyatt fromt he airport for a family of 3 ? If the taxi is only a few more dollars and can pick me up from arrival I would prefer that.

If UBER is substantially a better AND cheaper option then we could walk a little.

UBER Black is showing rates of $151 which don't look too bad.

What would you recommend ?
If costs isn't a significant factor, you could go for the airport-to-hotel shuttle. It's think it's called Hotellink or AirportLink (comfy ride in a big bus). I think it's around HKG 120 pp. You asked fro the best way, not the cheapest way.

I'd get it if you don't feel like lugging your luggage (if you have a lot) all over the subway. There is a set time they depart (every half hr or every hour) and you can usually book it once you land. Usually I opt for this option since we have more people traveling with us (so we'll need 2 cabs) and it works out pretty well. We use it to get to Hyatt Regency TST last time, no problems at all. Just another option to throw out there.

I am not a fan of Uber (yet) so if I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the taxi for peace of mind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.