Search

HK/Macau - Before & After Chinese New Years

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2015, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta Skymiles, SPG
HK/Macau - Before & After Chinese New Years

Hi folks,

I'm planning my vacation for 2016 and would like to know, how crazy or dead does it get in HK/Macau before and after Chinese New Years?

I want to maximize my time and money in HK/Macau and don't want to go there when it's considered a busy/high season and be stuck paying $2000 HKD+ per night at a hotel. I'm open to the idea of traveling to HK/Macau in January, March, and April as well.

It if helps, I would prefer to stay at SPG properties. Any tips appreciated. Thank you!

Regards,

bcrdukes
Old Nov 19, 2015, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
There are festivities in HK, but it is still quiet time. Hotel rates should be low, especially for the 4* business hotels you're considering. Except for say a harborview room on the 2nd Day of the New Year with major fireworks in the harbor.

Macau is the opposite. Lots of people visiting from HK and mainland. Ferry tickets should be booked ahead.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Hotel rates should be low, especially for the 4* business hotels you're considering.
Given the influx of tourists/shoppers from PRC in recent years, is there still a high/low season for hotels?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:54 am

I think it's fair to say that there'll be more Mainland shoppers in Hong Kong during the two weeks prior to CNY, that the three days of CNY itself will be quiet, and that there will then be quite a few Mainland tourists in the week following.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta Skymiles, SPG
Is it safe to assume that Macau will be flooded with Mainland tourists before and after Chinese New Years?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Yes, lots of mainland visitors will be in Macau, less so in HK. But the numbers have been down this year compared to previous few.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
I travel to HKG for work near that time almost every year. It's best to avoid it unless you're there as a tourist. I did it as a tourist once and it's great.

I like to do my job and leave HKG before the holiday. Many businesses and public places close down for a week after lunar new year. The shops and restaurants are open, and even more crowded than usual.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.