Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Ok to take Uber in Hong Kong? What about at the airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2015, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)

I keep reading news articles that Uber in Hong Kong is getting shut down by the government because of unlicensed or uninsured drivers, but I still see the website for it and twitter feeds. Is this still a safe option? We are considering Uber Black because we will have a few adults with luggage that probably would not all fit in a traditional taxi cab. We are going to a location for a university event that would require multiple transfers on the Airport Express/MTR and the airport hotel buses don't go to.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 1:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Uber rates are published on uber.com. Taxi rates are at http://www.td.gov.hk/en/transport_in..._of_hong_kong/

Depending on where you are going, Uber could be more expensive than 2 taxis.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I will choose other services, like GoGo Van, rather than Uber or taxi.

Per OP's post, it is not a possible for the taxi to work.

However, given Uber's situation, the police will eventually do another raid. It is a matter sooner or later.

So I will choose something more under the radar instead.

To clarify:

1. Both Uber and the driver are unlicensed. In order to operate a for-hire service in Hong Kong, an owner must obtain a license from Transport Department and a driver must have a proper for-hire endorsement on his/her driver license.

2. The cars was unlicensed because it was used for other purposes than those the insurance allows. Even the insurance does not explicitly disallow, it will still be an underinsured situation.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
So far, there is not a single case of injury accident I can think of that has made it to the news where a über black passenger is hurt and not being covered in insurance. You decide if it's worth the risk. One thinking is that with über still highly interested in the HK market, and that it's cash rich, even if there's an injury accident, über will do whatever it can to cover you itself. But that's just a "thinking".

And there is no risk at all for the passenger hiring über. At least not yet.

Anyways, from airport, über black driver will greet you at the Starbucks at the end of arrivals hall. über van or other services likely will meet you at Parking 2. It's not curbside loading like any other airport in the world.

Last edited by rkkwan; Nov 12, 2015 at 8:09 pm
Old Nov 13, 2015, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Thank you for the responses. We will look into other options.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Updating my own thread since I just spent 2 weeks in Hong Kong. Due to the uncertainty of uber prior to my arrival, I booked car services through Klook. The rates seem a little more than what UberBlack was quoting, but it was a guaranteed reservation. It was generally uneventful and glad I used the service. A few days after arriving to HK, UberX launched in HK which provided a cheaper alternative to the Black service - however, they also raised the Black fees at the same time to differentiate the products further. While using the MTR and other public transportation in HK is the most efficient and economical, sometimes it was not feasible (like when you're carrying lots of luggage or shopping bags). We ended up using UberX a few times and it was a good experience. I like that I didn't have to have cash on me and could use the app to pay via credit card. Very courteous drivers. Cars tend to be smaller Japanese vehicles so good for 2 people, maybe even 3. Not recommended for 4 + bags. Did not get to try UberBlack as the rates were about double and the short distances in HK didn't warrant the added expense. As for fares - the HK taxis will gouge you with extra fees like return toll fees (on top of the actual toll) and baggage fees. All my taxi rides ended up costing a lot more than comparable UberX - and they require cash. We ended up only using taxis when Uber was on surge pricing (mostly at nights and only at the InterContinental Hong Kong because of the inconvenient location).
Old Dec 18, 2015, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
As for fares - the HK taxis will gouge you with extra fees like return toll fees (on top of the actual toll) and baggage fees.
I believe Chicago taxi fare chart also list baggage fees by the piece?

HK Taxi are licensed by districts, HK island, Kowloon, New Territories and Lantau. If you are not license in that district you cannot pick up a fare with few exception. Return toll fee is the standard tariff when taking taxis across districts.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tentseller
I believe Chicago taxi fare chart also list baggage fees by the piece?

HK Taxi are licensed by districts, HK island, Kowloon, New Territories and Lantau. If you are not license in that district you cannot pick up a fare with few exception. Return toll fee is the standard tariff when taking taxis across districts.
You are not entirely correct in your explanation, but return tolls are indeed required and standard for crossing some tunnels. Same for baggage fees. The above poster is wrong to say they get gouged.

Fee tables are here: http://www.td.gov.hk/en/transport_in..._of_hong_kong/

If one feels like he's being gouged, please call 999 to get the police. Car license and driver's names are both displayed inside the cab.

Last edited by rkkwan; Dec 19, 2015 at 1:47 am
Old Jan 4, 2016, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rkkwan
The above poster is wrong to say they get gouged.

Fee tables are here: http://www.td.gov.hk/en/transport_in..._of_hong_kong/

If one feels like he's being gouged, please call 999 to get the police. Car license and driver's names are both displayed inside the cab.
I think you are taking my words to the extreme. Just because one feels gouged doesn't mean that I think it is illegal. If that's the case, the airlines would have cops called on them every minute of the day! Considering the taxi driver doesn't do anything with the luggage except open the trunk, charging for them seems excessive for space that is empty otherwise. In my case, the driver told the hotel staff at both pick up and arrival to load/unload the luggage, so not only did I have to pay the luggage fee, I also had to tip the hotel staff.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AtomicLush
I think you are taking my words to the extreme. Just because one feels gouged doesn't mean that I think it is illegal. If that's the case, the airlines would have cops called on them every minute of the day! Considering the taxi driver doesn't do anything with the luggage except open the trunk, charging for them seems excessive for space that is empty otherwise. In my case, the driver told the hotel staff at both pick up and arrival to load/unload the luggage, so not only did I have to pay the luggage fee, I also had to tip the hotel staff.
Then, I agree that you should stay away from taxis in HK. Not everyone should take taxis. I live here and I take less than 20 taxis a year.

But before I go away from this thread forever, I will also add that on both sides of the harbor, there are taxi stands where you can take taxi to the opposite side without having to pay the return tolls. It is mentioned in the above official link.

Last edited by rkkwan; Jan 4, 2016 at 3:43 pm
Old Jan 5, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
I just returned from a week in Hong Kong, used Uber and MTR exclusively, no taxis. Uber worked really well, the price difference between x and black is negligible so pretty much used black every time. Got a Tesla both to and from the airport, ended up being around $55 USD to central HK. Calling Uber from the airport is easy, the driver parks right outside the exit and meets you in person, drops off like any other car. No reason to deal with taxi bs, cash, tipping, etc.

I did find that when calling an Uber in central it's not easy for them to tell where you are, so you might find it helpful to call or text the driver with your pickup location.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
Uber worked really well, the price difference between x and black is negligible so pretty much used black every time. Got a Tesla both to and from the airport, ended up being around $55 USD to central HK.
While you obviously can't compare to the comfort of a Telsa, a taxi ride to/from Central should be only around ~$38 USD.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
That makes sense, I was just surprised at how affordable it was compared to other cities I've visited in the US and Europe.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 5:14 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
I just returned from a week in Hong Kong, used Uber and MTR exclusively, no taxis. Uber worked really well, the price difference between x and black is negligible so pretty much used black every time. Got a Tesla both to and from the airport, ended up being around $55 USD to central HK. Calling Uber from the airport is easy, the driver parks right outside the exit and meets you in person, drops off like any other car. No reason to deal with taxi bs, cash, tipping, etc.

I did find that when calling an Uber in central it's not easy for them to tell where you are, so you might find it helpful to call or text the driver with your pickup location.
Great info! Thanks so much for posting!
Old Jan 5, 2016, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JordanWalker
While you obviously can't compare to the comfort of a Telsa, a taxi ride to/from Central should be only around ~$38 USD.
that is if you dont run into scammers (as a local it had happened to me too).
and luggage fees
and their bloody attitude

i wish all the taxis in HK goes out of business. except some communist d!ckhead runs the taxi monopoly in HK that is why uber is being driven out of market.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.