Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to get from HKIA to Wanchai late night

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 5:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Best way to get from HKIA to Wanchai late night

I apologize if there is an existing thread on this topic, but I hope you guys can give me a free pass this time.

I am scheduled to arrive in HKG just after midnight on Thursday... though midnight could end up becoming 3a.

I need to go to Wanchai (GH).

What's the best way to pull this off, other than a taxi (I will avail of a taxi if Option B requires an additional hour)?

Thanks

E
Old Jul 28, 2015, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Just know about the options and then decide when you arrive.

Last A12 12:10a, which you probably can't catch unless your flight early.
Last A11 12:30a.
Last AE 12:48a.
N11 ($31) every :50 and :20, starting 12:50a. It goes through backside of airport and Tung Chung, then goes through Jordan and takes Cross Harbour Tunnel to Central.
There's also a new NA21 which is pricey at $37.5, but only stops at Cathay City before heading to Mong Kok. 12:45a, 1:25a, 2:15a and 2:55a. From Mong Kok N122 bus runs every 15 minutes from Nathan Road to Shau Kei Wan via Causeway Bay for $13.4. Or Red Van from Nathan Road @ Nelson St (Bank Centre) to Western District via Gloucester Rd for $15.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful reply, rk. I'll post again here after all is said and done.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Pricy? The A12 cost me HKD45 to go into Wan Chai and the A11 HKD40 to come back to the airport, all of this 2 weeks ago. It seemed a fair price for the convenience of it, trip time 35-45 minutes. I used the prepaid Octopus card, otherwise exact change is required.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:05 am

Offhand, I'm not sure if you can buy/refund an Octopus card in the wee hours at CLK.

The airport's becoming more and more a 24-hour operation, but public transport options have not kept pace.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's very true, but I had no problem getting change when I first arrived and got the Octopus later down town.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Concerto
Pricy? The A12 cost me HKD45 to go into Wan Chai and the A11 HKD40 to come back to the airport, all of this 2 weeks ago. It seemed a fair price for the convenience of it, trip time 35-45 minutes. I used the prepaid Octopus card, otherwise exact change is required.
NA21 is pricey at $37.5 to Mong Kok via Cathay City. A21 is $33, E21 is $14,; while the best comparison is N21 at $23 which goes all the way to TST. All operated by Citybus.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:59 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 889
Offhand, I'm not sure if you can buy/refund an Octopus card in the wee hours at CLK.

The airport's becoming more and more a 24-hour operation, but public transport options have not kept pace.
Really? I'd say HKG is among the world's best for nighttime public transit. On the flip side, SIN fails miserably in this aspect.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Really? I'd say HKG is among the world's best for nighttime public transit. On the flip side, SIN fails miserably in this aspect.
How is HKG after 12:48a? Other than abundance of taxis?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Concerto
I don't pay that price to take the A12, you can buy a coupon at the bus terminal (cash only) HKD 65 for a return ticket

https://www.nwstbus.com.hk/fareConce...52&intLangID=2
Old Aug 1, 2015, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
Thanks for the helpful reply, rk. I'll post again here after all is said and done.
Replying to myself with the promised update:

-my flight reached the gate at 1155p (I switched to KA993, which was supposed to arrive at 930p)
-I was off the plane at 1205a (they were short on jetway people)
-I was at baggage claim 10 minutes later (thanks to eChannel)
-normally, CX/KA are very fast with baggage, but at 1230a bags from our flight still had yet to hit the belt (extremely uncommon at HKIA)
-at this point, I asked the KA rep what was going on, and explained to him that I needed to make the 1248a HEX
-he advised me: 1) they were short on baggage handlers; and 2) if I missed the train, I could take a cab and submit the receipt to KA
-#2 was something I threw out there that he quickly agreed to
-in the end, I DID make the train

If I had stuck with KA975 or KA903, I'm guessing I wouldn't have gotten the cab reimbursement offer, but I wouldn't have needed it because 975 was cancelled and 903 didn't arrive until 530a.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
IME: Many airlines have the unwritten policy that if any HKG arrival is late and past the last AEx they will reimburse taxi fare.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
This is helpful to me as I was just researching this information. I come in on 08.14 at 2345 from PVG (hopefully) and I need to get to the Conrad.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by Bluehen1
This is helpful to me as I was just researching this information. I come in on 08.14 at 2345 from PVG (hopefully) and I need to get to the Conrad.
My humble recommendation will be: get to pudong as early as possible and switch / standby for earlier flight.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're coming from China or HKG they seem to be pretty good about that, I managed it about a month ago with no issues. Wouldn't be possible in Europe unless you were on a flex ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.