Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about 回鄉証

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2015, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Question about 回鄉証

I am a holder of 港澳居民來往內地通行證 aka 回鄉証 but it has expired back in 2013 and I'm wondering if it can be renewed here in Los Angeles where I live.

If not what are my other options?

I am planning my next trip to Hong Hong and I want to make a few short trips to mainland China during my stay. Just found out the the renewal process will take 12 business days if I apply for it in Hong Hong which will not work.

Thanks in advance for any info on this.

Last edited by Riverrat; Jun 28, 2015 at 3:06 pm
Old Jun 28, 2015, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Riverrat
I am a holder of 港澳居民來往內地通行證 aka 回鄉証 but it has expired back in 2013 and I'm wondering if it can be renewed here in Los Angeles where I live.

If not what are my other options?

I am planning my next trip to Hong Hong and I want to make a few short trips to mainland China during my stay. Just found out the the renewal process will take 12 business days if I apply for it in Hong Hong which will not work.

Thanks in advance for any info on this.
Since it is a HRP 港澳居民來往內地通行證 you need to renew it at 港澳 as a 港澳居民.
However be forewarn that they are cracking down on HRP applicants who's HK or Macau residency is questionable as in living in LA.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
However be forewarn that they are cracking down on HRP applicants who's HK or Macau residency is questionable as in living in LA.
I didn't know that one is required to physically live in HK in order to qualify for a 港澳居民來往內地通行證. I thought that you only have to be a Hong Kong citizen to qualify for one, interesting.

I'll look into that.

Thx for the info.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:57 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by tentseller
Physically be in HK perhaps, not actually live here.

My brother hasn't renewed his but I presume he can come back and renew, stating his address is our parents' address.

He just has to be here to apply. I think they can Courier Post the HRP back now, or he can appoint a proxy to pick it up http://www.ctshk.com/visa/chinaPermit.htm# (sorry, I tried calling 2998 7888, got hung up on when trying to speak to CTS rep. CTS is worse than AM in trying to Contact The Living)
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by percysmith
Physically be in HK perhaps, not actually live here.

My brother hasn't renewed his but I presume he can come back and renew, stating his address is our parents' address.

He just has to be here to apply. I think they can Courier Post the HRP back now, or he can appoint a proxy to pick it up http://www.ctshk.com/visa/chinaPermit.htm# (sorry, I tried calling 2998 7888, got hung up on when trying to speak to CTS rep. CTS is worse than AM in trying to Contact The Living)
Thanks for the reply.

I actually called CTS and managed to speak to an agent about my situation. If I remember correctly the menu keys were 1,8,1,# to speak to an agent. The lady was very cold but to the point with her responses.

This is what I found out.

1) Since I already have a 回鄉證 (expired or otherwise), all I will need is my HKPID and the expired 回鄉證 to apply for a new one.

2) They have an expedited 5 day turn around (business days) service and costs HK$670 verses the usual HK$390.

3) They can't care less about where I currently live and they can even send the new card to me in Los Angeles (for an extra fee of course).

Hope this information helps others in similar situation.

Last edited by Riverrat; Jul 2, 2015 at 9:25 pm
Old Jun 29, 2015, 5:26 pm

This might be slightly OT and more suited to the China thread.

I've heard from two reliable TA that China is cracking down on third party dual citizenship, particularly those who hold dual XXX (most cases US/Canada) and either Taiwan or HK passports.

My wife wanted to renew her Taiwan taibozheng but her TA convinced her it made more sense to just get the 10 yr visa for US passport holders. I hold HK passport and the huixiangzheng but have no plans to renew either in the near future. I recently applied for 10 yr China visa and waiting for my corporate TA to return to me.

This probably won't affect OP per se but if he/she is US passport holder and recently got China visa, even with CTS applying, might raise a red flag.

As usual, YMMV.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dtsm
This might be slightly OT and more suited to the China thread.

I've heard from two reliable TA that China is cracking down on third party dual citizenship, particularly those who hold dual XXX (most cases US/Canada) and either Taiwan or HK passports.

My wife wanted to renew her Taiwan taibozheng but her TA convinced her it made more sense to just get the 10 yr visa for US passport holders. I hold HK passport and the huixiangzheng but have no plans to renew either in the near future. I recently applied for 10 yr China visa and waiting for my corporate TA to return to me.

This probably won't affect OP per se but if he/she is US passport holder and recently got China visa, even with CTS applying, might raise a red flag.

As usual, YMMV.
What does TA stand for? Sorry, I'm new to this forum.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:36 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Travel Agent.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:33 am
Original Poster

ah Travel Agent......

Thanks for clarification.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
In my case, I was born in Hong Kong but I don't live there. I have a British passport only, which states my place of birth, no HK ID card. Does anyone happen to know what I'm entitled to, ROA (right of abode) for example? Or right to work without a visa?

I expect I would have to go through the 7 year process like everyone else, of living and working there until I get ROA. I know I'm not entitled to a local passport, I would need to be Chinese for that, which I'm not. This may be totally the wrong place to post a question like this, of course, in which case, apologies. But I think it's a good thing to have an idea as to what one is entitled to.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:09 am

Concerto - by British passport you mean a British Citizen with EU kind, or pre-handover BDTC

If the latter, read this http://www.sm128c.com/hk/ . The only way you can get away with the 7-year requirement is you born before the handover to parents who were BDTC and fall into the transition arrangement. Then you have Right To Land in HK.

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 1, 2015 at 8:18 am
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just a normal British passport, no pre-handover BDTC (whatever that is). I was born in 1965, father worked in the British forces, we left in 1974. Probably not entitled to anything, but it would be good to know.

Interesting link that you provide, unfortunately I can't read deeper because I don't do Facebook. But I am curious to know the details of the update of November 18, 2011. Thanks for your help anyway!
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah, I found it, sorry about that! BDTC is British Dependent Territories Citizens. Surely I might have a case, being born before 1983?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Concerto
Ah, I found it, sorry about that! BDTC is British Dependent Territories Citizens. Surely I might have a case, being born before 1983?
Not sure, and I feel I'm going a bit out of my depth.

I have the feeling you did not acquire right of abode in Hong Kong simply by being born here. Your dad was a member of the forces, and AFAIK members of the forces remain residents of place they came from - be it members of the British Forces before the handover or current PLA Garrrison members now.

So you didn't acquire ROA from your dad. Your mum any help?

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 2, 2015 at 12:40 am
Old Jul 2, 2015, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
I have the feeling you did not acquire right of abode in Hong Kong simply by being born here. Your dad was a member of the forces, and AFAIK members of the forces remain residents of place they came from - be it members of the British Forces before the handover or current PLA Garrrison members now.

So you didn't acquire ROA from your dad. Your mum any help?
I take that back. Children of Nepalese members of the forces born in HK have HK Right of Abode despite retaining Nepalese nationality https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_..._Kong#Nepalese. Their dads did not become HK residents by virtue of their service (this is in the Immigration Ordinance) but they can apply for ROA by being sponsored by their children.

You had ROA; you probably don't have it now by virtue of absence from the HKSAR, but you still have Right to Land:

1. When you were born in 1965, life was simple - you were a CUKC twice over - either by being born to a British dad, and by being born in a British colony. You have right of abode both here and there.

2. When the Immigration Act 1971 came into force, you may have acquired two rights. You have acquired right of abode of the UK from your dad, and you were a Hong Kong Belonger by being born here. No change to your rights of abode so far.

3. When the British Nationality Act 1981 came into force on 1 January 1983, your CUKC was replaced. You undoubtedly acquried British Citizenship by virtue of your dad.

3a. But did you also acquire BDTC on 1 Jan 1983 by having once been a Hong Kong Belonger? ***From the following link in hongkong.geoexpat.com, I think you did***:

https://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/52/thread2270.html

Your BDTC connected to HK lapsed on 1 July 1997. But since you had BTDC on 30 June 1997, you had ROA on 30 June 1997, so you still had ROA on 1 July 1997. It subsequently lapsed by 36-month absence, but you can still apply for RTL under transitional arrangements.

Cases like you seem to be able to successfully apply for RTL at least. Go apply [email protected]

Note none of these things (up to your Application for Verification of Eligibility for PIC (ROP145)) need applying for. You were born here in 1965 --> *so* you were a HK belonger --> *so* you were a BDTC with ROA --> *so* you had ROA in 1997 --> (you weren't here for 36 months' after) *so* you lost ROA but gained RTL.

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 2, 2015 at 3:53 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.