Currency question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Currency question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2015, 5:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Thanks for the currency advice and the heads-up re: visa at Luohu.

Yes, I'm Canadian... I was only planning to go for the day to wander around Shenzhen for the day as part of our HK vacation, maybe shop and check out an attraction or two. I was prepared to pay around C$150 for me, my wife and son under the old going rate, but if it's now US$100 a head that more than doubles the cost. I'm not so sure I'm going to do it anymore... maybe I'll just spend an extra day in Macau instead. I'll look into it!
Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by steveben53
+1 for Currency Exchange in Chungking Mansions.

Avoid the two booths at the entrance and go deeper in. I tend to use KSME Currency exchange

http://www.ksme.hk/
Pacific Exchange upstairs has better rates. They offer among the best rates fo all currencies except CNY (Cleverly Street, Sheung Wan) and IDR(Chandra Exchange, Sugar Street Causeway Bay) .
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by 889
Just use those same hole-in-the-wall places, and check two or three places beforehand to insure you're getting the market rate.

Are you Canadian? If so, check the current charge for a five-day visa at Luohu for Canadians. With the new 10-year visa, China seems to be charging Canadians about US$100 for a visa no matter the length of the visa. It would not be surprising at all if this is now the cost at Luohu as well.
Chinese Embassy charges US$140 for US Passport, and US$90 for other nationalities.

Last edited by jerrywu; Apr 21, 2015 at 7:11 pm
Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jerrywu
China Embassy charges US$140 for US Passport, and US$90 for other nationalities.
There isn't a Chinese embassy at luohu, and Americans can't get visas there anyway. Canadians can, but $90 for a 5-day visa that is only valid in a small area seems kind of silly to me.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:50 pm

So $90 USD for the 5-day visa, this is confirmed? Yikes. I only wanted to go for a day trip to SZ with the wife + child... I might rethink that now.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by heraclitus
So $90 USD for the 5-day visa, this is confirmed? Yikes. I only wanted to go for a day trip to SZ with the wife + child... I might rethink that now.
Not confirmed by me fwiw.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 3:04 pm

Fair enough... I'd be grateful for any details anyone can provide as it would affect my trip plans if it's true! Seems like a steep price for a 5-day visa.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Club Accor Gold
In vague reverse order of the questions I remember (too lazy to click back and take notes ):

Shenzen visa: available on arrival for Canadians at Lo Wu (might also be available at Huanggong, and Shekou). HK$150/person (around CA$24), good for 5 days. The price quoted above is for a regular Chinese visa; the Shenzen visa limits travel to the Shenzen Special Economic Zone.

Money changing: my friend brought US currency with him as he has a USD bank account and the HK dollar is pegged to the US dollar. Walking around, we found the best rates at the currency exchange booths outside the Wan Chai MTR station (as much as 7.7 to 1 and no extra charges, when the bulk rate (only available to people trading massive amounts of money, like banks and governments) is about 7.75 to 1. The more touristy the area, the worse the rates will be. Using ATMs you'll be hit with the PLUS or CIRRUS ATM fee, unless you have an account at Citibank or HKSB. Using credit cards you'll be hit with a foreign currency exchange fee, unless you're lucky and have a fee-free credit card.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:20 am

Is that HK$150 based on visit to Luohu since March 9?

The concern is that visa fees for Canadians were changed to CND100 "no matter what type of visa" on that date, when the new 10-year visas were introduced. In the case of at least some other nationalities, the Shenzhen fee tracks the standard visa fee.

https://www.visaforchina.org/YVR_EN/...s/276232.shtml
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:57 am

From reading the website, those appear to be for long term visas which have to be applied for in advance. There are dozens of different Chinese visas, reflecting the purpose of your visit, the length of you visit, and where you want to go, and pricing varies depending on the nationality of the person applying. The information I provided is based on a web search, with an idea of which sites are generally reliable and which ones aren't.

Also: logic. If the 3 day transit visas, the 5 day Shenzen visas, and the various 10 year regular visas were all the same price, nobody in their right mind would ever apply for the shorter duration visas, unless they were stuck.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by islandcub1
From reading the website, those appear to be for long term visas which have to be applied for in advance. There are dozens of different Chinese visas, reflecting the purpose of your visit, the length of you visit, and where you want to go, and pricing varies depending on the nationality of the person applying. The information I provided is based on a web search, with an idea of which sites are generally reliable and which ones aren't.

Also: logic. If the 3 day transit visas, the 5 day Shenzen visas, and the various 10 year regular visas were all the same price, nobody in their right mind would ever apply for the shorter duration visas, unless they were stuck.
US citizens have paid the same price for all PRC visas for the past 5 years (10 years for most useful visas; the outliers were varieties like exit visas and VOA), so it's not especially hard to fathom Canadian citizens now being subjected to the same principle.

Do you have any evidence proving border visas for Canadians were exempted from the March 9 price standardization?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:23 am

The fee for Americans at Luohu is indeed 967RMB:

http://welcometochina.com.au/hot-tip...ewal-2047.html

(In general, Americans can't get the Luohu visa, but apparently there are a few exceptions for Huaqiao and such, thus the fee listing.)

If I were a Canadian, I would not head to Luohu until someone posts a current price list. The whole point of the 10-year visa for Canadians is to pretty much track the American treatment.

"From reading the website, those appear to be for long term visas which have to be applied for in advance. There are dozens of different Chinese visas, reflecting the purpose of your visit, the length of you visit, and where you want to go, and pricing varies depending on the nationality of the person applying."

I think it's reasonable, though admittedly not absolutely certain, that "no matter what type of visa" means no matter what type of visa. And of course, this is all about Canadians, not other nationalities.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:56 pm

The only absolutely certain answer would be to go to the border and find out, as even Chinese embassies have been known to give conflicting answers (not actually that surprising. Anything else is just argument for the sake of argument, since we're the website is not actually clear. Do they mean visas that can be applied for through the Chinese Visa Application Service Center, since in the same sentence they talk about their fees?
Old Apr 25, 2015, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by islandcub1
The only absolutely certain answer would be to go to the border and find out, as even Chinese embassies have been known to give conflicting answers (not actually that surprising. Anything else is just argument for the sake of argument, since we're the website is not actually clear. Do they mean visas that can be applied for through the Chinese Visa Application Service Center, since in the same sentence they talk about their fees?
Once you show up at the border, you're already committed to crossing it (because you've already left hk).
Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:00 am

This is true. Although I suspect that there is some way to go back if you're turned away at the border, I definitely can't guarantee that you won't be thrown into some sort of immigration holding cell for refusing to pay the fee. We may have to wait for a traveller to actually make the trip, pay, and then report back to know for sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.