Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong Fine Dining

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Hong Kong Fine Dining

First-time visitor and interested in great local as well as international food and of course atmosphere and views.

So far on my list:

Lung King Heen
Tin Lung Heen
Spoon
Tosca
Mandarin Grill
Amber
Mott 32

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by JohnRain; Mar 4, 2015 at 4:19 am
Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Caprice should be on the list I'd have thought, especially if you're into cheese!
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christep
Caprice should be on the list I'd have thought, especially if you're into cheese!
I love cheese, but I eat it on a daily basis as I live in Geneva & Paris.
But thanks for the suggestion, I'll check out Caprice as I'll be staying at the FS anyway. Would you say that eating at Caprice is a typical must-do Hong Kong experience? The reason I'm asking is that French food (while great) is nothing special anymore to me. Spoon of course serves French food as well, but it is all about the view there.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: CI Paragon, AF Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Shangri-La Jade
No atmosphere no view, but I wouldn't leave HK without roast goose at Yung Kee.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:20 am
Suspended

I've lived in HK for the last 15 years (and don't travel much these days) so I'm not sure I'm a good judge of "must do" for people from elsewhere any more. And my budget doesn't stretch to the likes of Caprice more than once a year or so. But if you are in Paris a lot eating cheese then strike Caprice from your list - obviously the same cheese will taste no better here, and will undoubtedly cost much more.

For me the unique HK food experiences aren't fine dining and aren't in 5* hotels (which frankly are much like any other the world over as far as I'm concerned).
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:24 am
Original Poster

For me the unique HK food experiences aren't fine dining and aren't in 5* hotels (which frankly are much like any other the world over as far as I'm concerned).
I'd love to hear about your personal favourites if you're willing to share them...
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:40 am
Suspended

Well, as an example, if I had the price of a Michelin 3* restaurant dinner for two to burn, I'd rather take a private boat trip out to Ming Kee on Po Toi Island and have very fresh seafood lunch or dinner there. Very basic environment, but the chilli pepper squid is superb, as are the steamed prawns with garlic & spring onion. But it's basic. Bring your own wine for a very reasonable corkage (like $HK50 per bottle if I remember correctly), although I tend to just have a bottle or two of Tsing Tao.

As always with Chinese food, it's much better to be in a group rather than dine individually so that you get to try more dishes.

Even better if you take a short hike around Po Toi Island first to work up a appetite!

(Closed Tuesday dinner and all day Wednesday - don't go on weekends or holidays: the place gets rammed full and can't really cope.) They have a very basic website.

Last edited by christep; Mar 4, 2015 at 8:02 am
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Well, as an example, if I had the price of a Michelin 3* restaurant dinner for two to burn, I'd rather take a private boat trip out to Ming Kee on Po Toi Island and have very fresh seafood lunch or dinner there. Very basic environment, but the chilli pepper squid is superb, as are the steamed prawns with garlic & spring onion. But it's basic. Bring your own wine for a very reasonable corkage (like $HK50 per bottle if I remember correctly), although I tend to just have a bottle or two of Tsing Tao.

As always with Chinese food, it's much better to be in a group rather than dine individually so that you get to try more dishes.

Even better if you take a short hike around Po Toi Island first to work up a appetite!

(Closed Tuesday dinner and all day Wednesday - don't go on weekends or holidays: the place gets rammed full and can't really cope.) They have a very basic website.
Sounds like a great local adventure, will definitely look into it. Thanks.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by gracall
No atmosphere no view, but I wouldn't leave HK without roast goose at Yung Kee.
Just an update to Yung Kee fans not residing in HK.

The family breakup is done. The branch who ran the kitchen along with the best helps have opened Kam Kee on Hennesy Rd in Wan Chai. The Michelin star left Yung Kee and followed them.

Having eaten at both post separation I agree with the Michelin committee.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JohnRain
I'd love to hear about your personal favourites if you're willing to share them...
Bo Innovation

There are many others with great food, better than the fine dining establishments but does not have the environment.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: NZ GOLD (*G), KLM FB S, QF S,
Try these forums for dining in Hong Kong
http://chowhound.chow.com/boards/46
http://www.openrice.com/en/restaurant/index.htm?tc=top2
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:06 am

Programs: CI Paragon, AF Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by tentseller
Just an update to Yung Kee fans not residing in HK.

The family breakup is done. The branch who ran the kitchen along with the best helps have opened Kam Kee on Hennesy Rd in Wan Chai. The Michelin star left Yung Kee and followed them.

Having eaten at both post separation I agree with the Michelin committee.
Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to stop by Kam Kee.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat , HHonors Gold, Marriott Plat, Avis President's Club
I'll definitely second Bo Innovation. Ate there for Thanksgiving last year even though they don't have turkey.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MatthewT
I'll definitely second Bo Innovation. Ate there for Thanksgiving last year even though they don't have turkey.
Were you sure? Alvin has amazing deconstruction skills and ideas. He has lived in the West long enough to know about American Thanksgiving and turkey.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:51 am

Bar set menu at L'atelier de Joel Robuchon is great value (or so I think). French again though. http://www.robuchon.hk/

Amber (Landmark Mandarin Oriental) has very nice food, but again French.

Otto e Mezzo Bombana, very nice Italian food: http://www.ottoemezzobombana.com/hong-kong/en/homepage/

Island Tang / Kownloon Tang, nice place for business lunches.

Hutong, 1 Peking. Bit "touristy" but amazing views. http://hutong.com.hk/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.