Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong Fine Dining

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2015, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Yeah, some of my best Cantonese, or any other style in China, has been in a large group with local colleagues doing the ordering. I just leave it up to them because I would have no clue. Most of the best restaurants I've been to don't even have English menus. And when I do find an English menu it is severely dumbed down.

That said, Man Wah at the MO is pretty good and definitely will cater to both locals and visitors.

And probably the finest overall Cantonese restaurant I've ever been to is Jiang-Nan Chun at the Four Seasons Singapore.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by phol
Cantonese food is actually fairly bland, so I would not bend over backwards to try it more than once when there are so many other options. Lung King Heen is probably the best example of it, but for a 'real' Cantonese experience i'd be tempted to search out a branch of Lei Garden or Fook Lam Moon instead.
Fook Lam Moon has good food, but it does not make sense that their dim sum is pricier than Spring Moon or Ming Court when the service/attentiveness level is at least a couple notches below. Lei Garden's been a hit and miss... part of it is that the experience can vary a bit depending on the LG location. For visitors to HK, I still think that, when it comes to Cantonese and particularly dim sum, your best bets often tend to be inside hotels. My HK friend says the best food he's had has been with a large group of family/friends at membership type establishments... places like that don't help us visitors.

Originally Posted by JohnRain
I stay away from French & Italian food as much as possible when I'm traveling because as a European this is nothing special to me.
I don't really eat French, but I've had some fabulous Italian in HK over the years. I wouldn't necessarily write off trying that stuff in HK, even if you're European.

Originally Posted by JohnRain
Well, to each their own I guess. I have a passion for great hotels and gourmet restaurants, they're always an integral and important part of all my trips.
I'll go to a few local places for lunch anyway.
I can understand your passion for hotels and high-end, but yes definitely try some local places in HK. Otherwise you'll miss out on great wonton noodle soup, cha chaan teng, some great Thai/Malaysian food.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by evergrn
Fook Lam Moon has good food, but it does not make sense that their dim sum is pricier than Spring Moon or Ming Court when the service/attentiveness level is at least a couple notches below. Lei Garden's been a hit and miss... part of it is that the experience can vary a bit depending on the LG location. For visitors to HK, I still think that, when it comes to Cantonese and particularly dim sum, your best bets often tend to be inside hotels. My HK friend says the best food he's had has been with a large group of family/friends at membership type establishments... places like that don't help us visitors.
I agree that the best quality food is often in hotels, but i think if you are after a true experience of Cantonese cuisine that slightly chaotic service is part of it. Hundreds of people sat around huge tables, with noise and food coming at you from all directions.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
The best are definitely the private clubs. Compare to that experience I would say the hotel offer the best alternative to the public especially visitors in small parties.

FLM is great when you are a regular and is up to date with red enveloping the staff every CNY. Lei Garden as a multiple outlet is less so; but their service is inconsistent.

There are excellent French, Italian and Spanish dining in HK that rivals other world class cities.

Re local experience: Kau Kee brisket was named the best in the world in a travel magazine write-up of best 50 food in the world. (Read in airline lounge, did not recall the exact name of the magazine)
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by tentseller
The best are definitely the private clubs. Compare to that experience I would say the hotel offer the best alternative to the public especially visitors in small parties.

FLM is great when you are a regular and is up to date with red enveloping the staff every CNY. Lei Garden as a multiple outlet is less so; but their service is inconsistent.

There are excellent French, Italian and Spanish dining in HK that rivals other world class cities.

Re local experience: Kau Kee brisket was named the best in the world in a travel magazine write-up of best 50 food in the world. (Read in airline lounge, did not recall the exact name of the magazine)
Lei Garden at Times Square was better than at IFC. As to private clubs, I had an amazing meal at the American Club with a local friend. But the best meal I have had was at Lung King Heen....[of which my wife, Cantonese speaker, did all the ordering for us]. I honestly did not think it would be as good as I had read, but it actually was.

I agree that some people underestimate that where Hong Kong has always excelled is with continental cuisine.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 6:21 am

We enjoyed Tim Ho Wan tremendously during our recent trip and apparently the outlet at Sham Shui Po was awarded one Michelin Star. But obviously, this place isn't considered fine dining by any measure.

This is a video I made of our Tim Ho Wan experience at Sham Shui Po. The Dim Sum is very good. Their Char Siew bun is famous.
https://youtu.be/hJmWPYmXumE
Old Apr 7, 2015, 6:55 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by iluvcruising2
We enjoyed Tim Ho Wan tremendously during our recent trip and apparently the outlet at Sham Shui Po was awarded one Michelin Star. But obviously, this place isn't considered fine dining by any measure.

This is a video I made of our Tim Ho Wan experience at Sham Shui Po. The Dim Sum is very good. Their Char Siew bun is famous.
A further downside to places like Tim Ho Wan is the apparent need of some many people to photograph or video their food. You don't get that (much) is truly classy places.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by iluvcruising2

Can you compare the HK THW with the S'pore THW outlets?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by stimpy
That said, Man Wah at the MO is pretty good and definitely will cater to both locals and visitors.
I can definitely confirm that. I enjoyed Man Wah more than Lung King Heen and Tin Lung Heen.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by christep
A further downside to places like Tim Ho Wan is the apparent need of some many people to photograph or video their food. You don't get that (much) is truly classy places.
Come on, this is HK. I am now surprised if I go to a restaurant and people are NOT taking photos of their food.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by theworld
Come on, this is HK. I am now surprised if I go to a restaurant and people are NOT taking photos of their food.
This is common practice everywhere nowadays, even in the poshest restaurants in Paris and I don't really see the problem. What I really find annoying though is that in HK some people wear totally inappropriate attire (Hawaii shirts) in 3 star restaurants. That is something I'll never get used to. I knew people don't dress up but there should be limits to what is acceptable. To be fair though, this is not something exclusive to HK as it's also starting to happen in Europe. It's just that in HK I noticed it in every upscale restaurant I went to.

Last edited by JohnRain; Apr 20, 2015 at 1:15 am
Old Apr 23, 2015, 4:47 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Have made a reservation at Yan Toh Heen for tonight. Since I last ate at the Intercontinental's Chinese restaurant, it has picked up two Michelin stars. I'll let you all know what I think.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Internaut
Have made a reservation at Yan Toh Heen for tonight. Since I last ate at the Intercontinental's Chinese restaurant, it has picked up two Michelin stars. I'll let you all know what I think.
Please do. Generally speaking, I find Michelin stars in HK to be less useful than elsewhere based on my recent experience. I had dinner at Lung King Heen (***), Tin Lung Heen (**) and Man Wah (*) just last week and I enjoyed Man Wah just as much as Lung King Heen.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 6:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by Internaut
Take pictures
Old Apr 23, 2015, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by njxbean
Take pictures
+1

And don't wear a Hawaii shirt...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.