Reload this Page >

Need tips for my HK trip with Family

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need tips for my HK trip with Family

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by ppp909
I was in HK for a week the week before last. You can get an Octopus which includes a return on the airport express. You get unlimited travel on the MTR for 3 consecutive days, but check that you will actually make use of it.
Getting an Octopus card is well worth it, regardless. It makes things so much easier and every mode of transport I used took them, which included metro, buses, tram, star ferry and outlying islands ferry. Plus the trip back to the airport.
Just remember to get your refund before you leave the station at the airport. I forgot :-(
We bought the Octopus cards with the return AE trip and 72 hours of MTR use, and it was super convenient. If you return the card at the place where you bought it at the airport (middle of the arrivals level, on the way to the AE platform) you get back 50HKD per card refund, plus whatever cash you had stored on the cards and not used.
Old May 16, 2015, 9:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by rkkwan

Does anyone know if one can get unused positive value back in form of cash at a service counter? If not, then it can potentially be a bad deal for tourists.
Yes, you can, and MTR won't charge the HKD 9 early refund fee and you can get the card back as souvenir.

However, the HKD 39 card cost is non-refundable

Disclaimer:

My comment above makes no representation of my company and only the comment from myself
Old May 17, 2015, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by ChrisLi
Yes, you can, and MTR won't charge the HKD 9 early refund fee and you can get the card back as souvenir.

Disclaimer:

My comment above makes no representation of my company and only the comment from myself
Of course the $39 is non-refundable, but since CX is selling them for $50, then it is actually good for both visitors (save at least $9 and earn a souvenir), and for locals to spend into the red and then never use it again.
Old May 17, 2015, 6:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (Xperia Z: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 5.0.2; SGP521 Build/23.1.A.1.28) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/42.0.2311.111 Safari/537.36)

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Originally Posted by ChrisLi

Disclaimer:

Of course the $39 is non-refundable, but since CX is selling them for $50, then it is actually good for both visitors (save at least $9 and earn a souvenir), and for locals to spend into the red and then never use it again.
you should know where I work at and hence why I didn't mentioned your par. :-p
Old May 19, 2015, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton-Gold
Sorry I didn't understand your point. Back to my original question: Is it good idea to buy 4 Octopus cards from CX(which may qualify as airfare charge).
Old May 20, 2015, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by concordian
Sorry I didn't understand your point. Back to my original question: Is it good idea to buy 4 Octopus cards from CX(which may qualify as airfare charge).
Short answer, yes it is. You save HK$9 each, compared to a regular "on-loan" Octopus that we usually tell people to get. And get a souvenir.

Last edited by rkkwan; May 20, 2015 at 9:12 pm
Old May 20, 2015, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton-Gold
Thank you, 3 weeks to my trip :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.