Wiki Posts
Search

Reprimanded at HKIA for 'Blunt Instrument'

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Reprimanded at HKIA for 'Blunt Instrument'

I flew in from Shanghai with one of women's clutch purses with a handle that looks like brass knuckles in my carry on. No issue flying from Shanghai, but in transit security I was reprimanded and forced to fill out a form and stuff. So I had a choice of leaving the item and picking it up later in Hong Kong, or missing my flight and checking it. So I opted to miss my flight and check my item.

So now my concern is, will I have a record now at HKIA? Basically I get flagged for secondary inspection from now on because of this incident? It was just a purse, but they insisted it met the specification of a brass knuckles, so it's been written up as a weapon.

Thoughts?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 3:51 am

I only travel to HKG once a year, so my sample size isn't huge. But I feel like I get something confiscated about half the time I go through security at HKG. This last time it was small kiddie scissors with totally blunt blades that are just a couple inches long. Something like that will clear security at NRT and US airports every single time. I've never been reprimanded or forced to fill out any type of form, though. I kind of doubt that you've been put on any sort of a black list.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by evergrn
I only travel to HKG once a year, so my sample size isn't huge. But I feel like I get something confiscated about half the time I go through security at HKG. This last time it was small kiddie scissors with totally blunt blades that are just a couple inches long. Something like that will clear security at NRT and US airports every single time. I've never been reprimanded or forced to fill out any type of form, though. I kind of doubt that you've been put on any sort of a black list.
Had a similar pair of blunt kiddie scissors confiscated at SIN. OTOH, no problem at HKG (as yet)
Old Feb 8, 2015, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
My item was not confiscated.

That said, it hasn't affected any of my recent trips. In fact just went through transfer security with no issues. Be honest I realized they don't actually scan your documents during the document check, only scribble on your boarding pass, so there is no way they can even flag you based on your previous incident.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:45 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by BH62
Had a similar pair of blunt kiddie scissors confiscated at SIN. OTOH, no problem at HKG (as yet)
HKG is pretty fastidious about scissors. I had at least one work pair confiscated. Last Wednesday the Russian in front of me had his cuticle cutting scissors confiscated and he wasnt happy about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.