Wiki Posts
Search

Hotels & Transportation to Mong Kok

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2015, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Hotels & Transportation to Mong Kok

Looking for advice on a hotel to stay at in Mong Kok for 2 nights in early March. My wife and I will be there at the end of a RTW trip and have never been. After doing some research, Mong Kok seemed like a good fit to stay out of the main touristy areas and have access to local markets, especially for food and at night. This will be a paid stay, so hotel brand doesn't matter. We're looking for something clean, comfortable, and safe. It doesn't have to be luxurious or have extras (breakfast, spa, etc). We're also open to suggestions on other areas of the city to stay that would meet what we're looking for.

Also, we get in late at around 22:25. Assuming we're on time, will this be enough time to clear customs (US citizens arriving via Thai F class, if that helps) and still catch the airport express and then connecting train from Kowloon station before they close? Or is there a better way to get there? We'll probably buy Octopus cards for our short stay, so I'd prefer not to use a taxi if possible.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
What "connecting train from Kowloon Station" are you talking about? The only lines from that station are AEx and Tung Chung. Much more efficient to take a taxi from your hotel than to go into Central or double back on the Tung Chung line to connect to a line that takes you to Mongkok, though there are hotels that offer shuttle services.

You should be fine for catching the AEx if that's how you want to go, but you're not saving much in the way of cash by taking the AEx, given that you will need further transport from the station and you will be paying for two fares.

What sort of price range are you looking at? Lots of hotels in Mong Kok...
Old Jan 10, 2015, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Easiest way to get to MK is by A21 bus, other than taxi. Last bus at midnight.

And I really won't call MK "out of the main touristy area".
Old Jan 10, 2015, 6:34 pm

Programs: Free agent!
MK is one of the prime tourist areas for those visiting from the Mainland and is very popular with locals and to a lesser extent, overseas visitors for the (IMHO) boring/useless Ladies Market. It's not a bad area to stay in (I much prefer it to TST, for example) but it's also not off the beaten track. If you're looking for that, a place like Tsuen Wan, Sham Shui Po, Tai Koo or Tseung Kwan O would definitely be further away from the standard tourist areas.

FWIW, I stayed at Ovolo in Sham Shui Po in November and loved the location. Definitely more of a local feel with two MTR lines available by walking ten minutes in either direction and a lot more street/local food than other parts of town. That being said, I don't think I'd recommend Sham Shui Po to a first time visitor, as I imagine you'll be doing the regular tourist trail stuff of Victoria Peak/Avenue of the Stars etc.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
MK is one of the prime tourist areas for those visiting from the Mainland and is very popular with locals and to a lesser extent, overseas visitors for the (IMHO) boring/useless Ladies Market. It's not a bad area to stay in (I much prefer it to TST, for example) but it's also not off the beaten track. If you're looking for that, a place like Tsuen Wan, Sham Shui Po, Tai Koo or Tseung Kwan O would definitely be further away from the standard tourist areas.

FWIW, I stayed at Ovolo in Sham Shui Po in November and loved the location. Definitely more of a local feel with two MTR lines available by walking ten minutes in either direction and a lot more street/local food than other parts of town. That being said, I don't think I'd recommend Sham Shui Po to a first time visitor, as I imagine you'll be doing the regular tourist trail stuff of Victoria Peak/Avenue of the Stars etc.
Appreciate the advice, and I think Sham Shui Po might be a bit outside of what we're looking for being our first time, though I'll look into it. From my research MK seemed like a good cross of being close enough to tourist sites, but with a more local feel. What did you think of the Ovolo? Would you stay there again/recommend it?
Old Jan 11, 2015, 2:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp, SPG Gold, Le Club Plat
Taxi would be around hkd250 all in, while AEX is hkd 90 x 2 people. I would just go with the former.

AEX does have free shuttle buses from Kowloon station to nearby hotels in TST and Jordan. But I'm not sure if there are any going to the MK area.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 7:34 pm

Programs: CX Diamond
The Langham Place is approx. US$200 per night in early March. Decent hotel and right above the MTR.

Given your arrival time I would recommend getting a taxi to your hotel. Otherwise it is the Airport express + either MTR, taxi or shuttle bus.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

K5 shuttle from Kowloon Station goes to CityView, Metropark Kowloon (Waterloo Road), and Royal Plaza in MK. Every 20 minutes.

Airport Express for 2 persons traveling together is $140 to Kowloon.

Still, taxi direct is easier, and if you want cheap, take the A21 bus.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rkkwan

Airport Express for 2 persons traveling together is $140 to Kowloon.
Ahh, yes forgot it's cheaper in groups. But I would say still go for the taxi. Especially at that hour, and being OP's first time in town.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by SANbound
Appreciate the advice, and I think Sham Shui Po might be a bit outside of what we're looking for being our first time, though I'll look into it. From my research MK seemed like a good cross of being close enough to tourist sites, but with a more local feel. What did you think of the Ovolo? Would you stay there again/recommend it?
Honestly, MK is not bad but I think me and some other posters wanted you to not going into it expecting it to be totally local.

Anyway, I would stay at Ovolo again. I liked the hotel, the room was a good size for Hong Kong and had a nice little kitchenette, good wifi and a mini bar that was constantly restocked and was complimentary (soda, juice, water and beer). My rate also included breakfast, which I believe was a buffet, but I never partook as I preferred to have local food near the hotel.

My deluxe studio room:

View to the east.

View to the north.

My only hesitation for recommending it is due to the location. I personally like it but it's not for everybody.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:09 pm
Suspended

^ how much was your rate at Ovolo?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:28 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
Honestly, MK is not bad but I think me and some other posters wanted you to not going into it expecting it to be totally local.

Anyway, I would stay at Ovolo again. I liked the hotel, the room was a good size for Hong Kong and had a nice little kitchenette, good wifi and a mini bar that was constantly restocked and was complimentary (soda, juice, water and beer). My rate also included breakfast, which I believe was a buffet, but I never partook as I preferred to have local food near the hotel.

My deluxe studio room:

My only hesitation for recommending it is due to the location. I personally like it but it's not for everybody.
That room looks exactly like the one I stayed in (on Tung Chau St.). I liked the room, but didn't care for the staff. Anyway, that particular location is more "local," even though the Golden Centre sees throngs of tourists...such as myself.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by HongKongVisitor
^ how much was your rate at Ovolo?
HK$1260 a night.

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
That room looks exactly like the one I stayed in (on Tung Chau St.). I liked the room, but didn't care for the staff. Anyway, that particular location is more "local," even though the Golden Centre sees throngs of tourists...such as myself.
Apologies if I wasn't clear but this is the location on Tung Chau Street. I feel like Golden Centre certainly gets tourists but not a ton of the Western persuasion.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Re: Ovolo West Kowloon. Sham Shui Po is not the problem, problem is that Tung Chau Street is 8 blocks from MTR. Twice a day (or more) every day for that 10 minute walk may not be the best use of a tourist's time, as the novelty likely wears off after 2nd time.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Re: Ovolo West Kowloon. Sham Shui Po is not the problem, problem is that Tung Chau Street is 8 blocks from MTR. Twice a day (or more) every day for that 10 minute walk may not be the best use of a tourist's time, as the novelty likely wears off after 2nd time.
Once again, my recommendation is probably not for a first time visitor who wants to check off ten must see sites in HK.

Anyway, a ten minute walk is not long/far by any means but certainly to each their own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.