Beware Occupy Movement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beware Occupy Movement

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by agp423
Any projections to when this will end? Will Christmas time in HK be especially bad since there will be a lot of people shopping and a lot of people occupying? Can I still cab from HKG to the IC on Salisbury?
They just cleared up one site by the Citic Tower. I was just there a couple of years ago for dim sum!
Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by agp423
Any projections to when this will end? Will Christmas time in HK be especially bad since there will be a lot of people shopping and a lot of people occupying? Can I still cab from HKG to the IC on Salisbury?
1. Nobody knows when it will end.
2. It's been mentioned many many times in this thread already that it's not affecting any shoppers, really. And there's no effect on going to the IC, especially on a cab.

So, this can go on for years, and it's not going to have too much of an effect for most tourists and shoppers.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:15 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I agree. I know it's none of tourists' business but "when will it end" type questions will elicit "when it ends" answers from me. We have a government whose only strategy is to sit it out and opportunistically suppress protests without addressing any of the protesters' grievances.

Most tourists won't be affected by the three protest sites. Nonetheless list your itinerary if you must and we will confirm it won't be affected.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:19 am

Seems like Mong Kok has been cleared for now.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/25/world/...kok-clearance/
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Need
Seems like Mong Kok has been cleared for now.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/25/world/...kok-clearance/
Seems like only part of Mong Kok was cleared, the Argyle part.

Usual accuracy of CNN with reporting on anything outside Atlanta.

Real local coverage:
http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...rs-tense-stand

Last edited by tentseller; Nov 25, 2014 at 1:19 pm
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:53 am

In town right now. I visit HK every year but, while I've been relieved to find most things to be completely normal, the traffic/transportation has thrown me off. #629 to Ocean Park is now leaving from Tin Hau instead of Admiralty. The Tram service around Causeway Bay had changed. The non-peak traffic heading westbound on Hennessy Road was more brutal than I could ever remember.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:23 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
Nathan Road cleared ... for now
Thursday, 27 November, 2014, 4:04am
News›Hong Kong
OCCUPY CENTRAL - DAY 60
Thousands of police officers remain on standby in Mong Kok amid fears that some disgruntled protesters could return to re-occupy site
A total of 148 protesters were arrested during the two-day operation in which the occupied area in nearby Argyle Street was reopened on Tuesday
http://www.scmp.com/print/news/hong-...ad-cleared-now
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by evergrn
In town right now. I visit HK every year but, while I've been relieved to find most things to be completely normal, the traffic/transportation has thrown me off. #629 to Ocean Park is now leaving from Tin Hau instead of Admiralty. The Tram service around Causeway Bay had changed. The non-peak traffic heading westbound on Hennessy Road was more brutal than I could ever remember.
I think you mean eastbound on Hennessy Road. Westbound is pretty much normal. Eastbound, all traffic has to squeeze onto Percival Street, including at least a dozen bus lines AND the tram.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by rkkwan
I think you mean eastbound on Hennessy Road. Westbound is pretty much normal. Eastbound, all traffic has to squeeze onto Percival Street, including at least a dozen bus lines AND the tram.
It certainly was westbound as we were going from Causeway Bay to Central. Wanted to take the kids on the tram, but couldn't figure out what was going on with the westbound tram in that area. So caught a bus instead, but it took aeons just to get to Wan chai.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Possible escalation at Admiralty site tonight, protest may spillover to Govt HQ, Police HQ and/or Lung Wo Road temporarily. The police swore they'll do their damnedest to hold them back, so there may be some running street battles in the next 12 hours.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
Possible escalation at Admiralty site tonight, protest may spillover to Govt HQ, Police HQ and/or Lung Wo Road temporarily. The police swore they'll do their damnedest to hold them back, so there may be some running street battles in the next 12 hours.
Which would still not affect the average joe unless someone wants to go to the legco library
Old Dec 10, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
Clearance day

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...kers-say-ahead
Police set zero hour at 11am (today) for Occupy headquarters in Admiralty
Police set deadline of 11am for protesters to leave camp in Central, promising to move in on site afterwards and arrest any hold-outs
Old Dec 10, 2014, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Marco Polo
http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...kers-say-ahead
Police set zero hour at 11am (today) for Occupy headquarters in Admiralty
Police set deadline of 11am for protesters to leave camp in Central, promising to move in on site afterwards and arrest any hold-outs
Admiralty Liberation Day (金鐘重光日)???
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
Admiralty Liberation Day (金鐘重光日)???
I prefer 解放, in the CCP sense.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by percysmith
I prefer 解放, in the CCP sense.
One score for Percy!!! Sorry for not updating my vocabulary.

For someone who can pronounce many English word properly depending on his location and who he is in conversation with that is no excuse!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.