Reload this Page >

Beware Occupy Movement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beware Occupy Movement

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2014, 7:22 pm

This is one of the most peaceful protests ever. Name me one other city where a protest like this, with high tensions and emotions, with 50k+ people, where there is NO looting, NO cars being burned, and NO one getting killed.

HK citizens are angry but we are still role models of protest. These are not the London riots. This is not Ferguson. This is HK.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by CX HK
Really? No damage of stores, no cars being burned, no looting, absolutely nothing beyond achieving their goal of occupying Central.

Politics aside, I'm damn near sure I can't find another city where protests of 50,000+ people could be this peaceful.
I agree with your observation.

However:
My memory from 66/67 was being confined in our flat with windows close and still tearing from the gas. We lived near the North Point tram terminus back then.

The video of the gas canisters discharging was what got me. Childhood flashback?
Old Sep 28, 2014, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
I agree with your observation.

However:
My memory from 66/67 was being confined in our flat with windows close and still tearing from the gas. We lived near the North Point tram terminus back then.

The video of the gas canisters discharging was what got me. Childhood flashback?
I am a bit younger, so I have no memory of 66/67 beyond Wikipedia and the history books. However, this reminded me of 2003, during the WTO protests by South Korean farmers.

Of course, those were "professional" protestors from South Korea who would leave after the WTO conference. This time, these are teenage students and everyday HK citizens, which is why it affects me a lot more.

My knowledge of 66/67 is that it was a lot more violent, and there was a real fear of possible intervention from the PRC government.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 11:47 pm

Really? No damage of stores, no cars being burned, no looting, absolutely nothing beyond achieving their goal of occupying Central.

Politics aside, I'm damn near sure I can't find another city where protests of 50,000+ people could be this peaceful.
It was very peaceful. Apart from the police lobbing tear gas at us.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 11:57 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
Drone movie of crowd size

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ7r8qi3NIY#t=31
^
so, what if they start to block the airport roads ?

watch LIVE:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4q8fs8gTIs#t=14385
(commentary in Cantonese)
the main highway Westbound and Eastbound between Wanchai and Central
first time I saw it without a traffic jam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ7r8qi3NIY

Last edited by Marco Polo; Sep 29, 2014 at 12:21 am
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:30 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
This is one of the most peaceful protests ever. Name me one other city where a protest like this, with high tensions and emotions, with 50k+ people, where there is NO looting, NO cars being burned, and NO one getting killed.

HK citizens are angry but we are still role models of protest. These are not the London riots. This is not Ferguson. This is HK.

Published on South China Morning Post (http://www.scmp.com)
Home > Shock, then anger, at police decision to use tear gas
Monday, 29 September, 2014, 5:23am
http://www.scmp.com/print/news/hong-...n-use-tear-gas

News›Hong Kong
POLITICS
Staff Reporters
Rights activist accuses force of 'unprecedented' action to quell protesters; officers say they had to stop acts that 'endangered public safety'
The decision by police to fire tear gas on the streets of Admiralty shocked protesters and was condemned by Human Rights Monitor as "unprecedented".
Officers used the tear gas after thousands of protesters stormed onto Harcourt Road outside the Tamar government headquarters and caused gridlock.
The demonstrators scattered but quickly regrouped to occupy the major road linking Central and Wan Chai.
Watch: More tear gas fired as night falls in Hong Kong
Police fired the first rounds of tear gas shortly before 6pm, about 15 minutes after issuing a warning for demonstrators to stop charging police and leave peacefully. "Otherwise, police will use a high level of force in order to restore public order and safeguard public safety."
Anti-riot officers wearing helmets and gas masks and carrying tear gas launchers were then called in. Displaying a banner with the words "Warning - tear smoke" on one side and "Disperse or we fire" on the side, they released the gas at close range when surrounded by demonstrators at 6.50pm. They fired several rounds of tear gas while marching to government headquarters in Tim Mei Avenue.
The confrontation between protesters and police continued at the junction of Harcourt Road and Tim Mei Avenue. Another batch of protesters occupied a section of Queensway outside the Lippo Centre in Admiralty.

At 7.15pm, police issued a statement saying that protesters violently charged the police cordon outside the government headquarters. "After police repeated warnings and protesters refused to leave, police decided to escalate the use of force and tear gas was used to stop those acts which endangered public safety and public order," it said.
But protesters were shocked. A 13-year-old boy said: "I was here for the past two days and I can't believe police would resort to tear gas. My eyes hurt so badly and my lungs are burning ... police have used excessive force today."
Felix Tang, 25, who had been protesting near Admiralty Centre, said: "No one even guessed the police would be so violent. We are unarmed, we only have our hands."
His friend, Eric Lai, 27, who was not wearing goggles, said: "Don't let my look fool you - I am really scared."
He wanted Hongkongers and those outside the city to see what was happening.
Alvin Lai, 23, a recent university graduate, said he was shocked at the force deployed by the police.
Law Yuk-kai, director of Human Rights Monitor, said it was "an unprecedented deviation of normal police practices".
He said the protesters were only exercising their basic human rights for a peaceful demonstration. "The way the police cracked down on protesters was not proportionate," he said.
Watch: Police fire tear gas at protesters outside Hong Kong government offices
Earlier, at about 1.30pm, police threw a cordon around the government headquarters to surround hundreds of demonstrators on the first day of the Occupy Central movement.
Thousands of protesters then broke through the police lines and stormed onto Harcourt Road at about 4pm, about 12 hours after the Occupy movement kicked off in Tim Mei Avenue.
Traffic came to a standstill as demonstrators occupied the westbound and eastbound lanes.
At 7pm, New World First Bus and City Bus said 77 bus routes were temporarily suspended or diverted.
About half an hour later, the MTR Corporation said trains on the Tsuen Wan line and Island lines would not stop at Admiralty. The service was cut for two hours.
"It is totally unexpected. It's all about our pursuit of democracy. Beijing now sees it; the world now sees it; C.Y. Leung, do you see it?" Occupy co-founder Benny Tai Yiu-ting said as he greeted the crowd of thousands.
Clifford Lo, Samuel Chan, Amy Nip, Chris Lau and Phila Siu
Topics:
Occupy Central
More on this:
How Occupy Central leaders lost grip on protest [1]
Transport fears and teachers' boycott threat see classes suspended [2]
Source URL (retrieved on Sep 29th 2014, 2:26pm): http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...n-use-tear-gas
Links:
[1] http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...t-grip-protest
[2] http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...sses-suspended
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:46 am

"Violently charged"? Please provide video evidence of that. The level of physical confrontation initiated by the protesters would seem weak even when compared to your usual Sunday football match in England. Nothing is being thrown; no bottles, no bricks, protesters aren't even throwing the tear gas cannisters back at the police.

Really looking forward to a shred of evidence of any violent conduct by the protesters.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:16 am

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
I am a bit younger, so I have no memory of 66/67 beyond Wikipedia and the history books. However, this reminded me of 2003, during the WTO protests by South Korean farmers.

Of course, those were "professional" protestors from South Korea who would leave after the WTO conference. This time, these are teenage students and everyday HK citizens, which is why it affects me a lot more.

My knowledge of 66/67 is that it was a lot more violent, and there was a real fear of possible intervention from the PRC government.
I hope there's no further escalations.

My only worry is if the organisers are now dominated by a more radical group of people, the protest will turn ugly.

Please......Stay calm, stay safe, stay strong, be peaceful.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by LuisHK
I hope there's no further escalations.

My only worry is if the organisers are now dominated by a more radical group of people, the protest will turn ugly.

Please......Stay calm, stay safe, stay strong, be peaceful.
Quite the opposite. It has in fact attracted the efforts of everyday Hongkongers now instead of the Occupy / Scholarism movement, who are more politically motivated.

The only "fear" I have seen being circulated with regards to the demonstration becoming radical is either - maliciously or not - members from the North or pro-Beijing parties will incite something as an excuse for a more serious clampdown. Of course, pure speculation and conspiracy theory.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:49 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Current "occupied" streets: Connaught Road outside Admiralty Centre, junction of Argyle Street and Nathan Road Mong Kok, Hennessey Road outside Sogo Causeway Bay

As is, tourism shouldn't be too disrupted. The biggest impact to tourism is no road transport to/from Central - two big roads to Central with rest of HK Island - Connaught Road no go and doesn't look like many drivers are trying Hennessey Road/Queensway to get in either. MTR access and road access from Western Crossing and from Southern HK Island still possible.

1/10 fireworks still on - for now http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/supple...40929/18880591

Although we probably have lot to say about what we think, can we keep this thread relevant for visitors? Otherwise we need a new thread for travel info.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 2:36 am

fireworks to be cancelled: http://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/2...1409290718.htm
Old Sep 29, 2014, 2:59 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Anyone in Hong Kong who has been affteced by transport issues?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by GodAtum
Anyone in Hong Kong who has been affteced by transport issues?
I'm in my office in IFC. Transportation is almost impossible; buses either stop at Wan Chai or Sheung Wan, and cross-harbor travel remains with ferry or the MTR. Both are extremely crowded.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
I'll likely give my violin student a holiday tomorrow. Too much trouble for me to go through Causeway Bay tomorrow.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:34 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Keeping a close eye on this development from Taiwan, I hope every traveler and resident stays safe.

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Maybe this can be a thread dedicated to transportation issue, especially for visitors to Hong Kong.
Great idea! ^

For those who want to pursue non-travel related discussion, someone had started a different thread in OMNI/PR Forum earlier today:

Hong Kong Protests

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.