Wiki Posts
Search

Beware Occupy Movement

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:28 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Lung Wo Road cleared out 4:40am. Tho I cannot verify traffic is flowing through it again.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Matthew330Ci
I will be going to the Ovolo Noho which is close to the Holiday Inn at stop 8 on the same shuttle bus (stop 8).

Question, is this same bus available for the return trip to the airport? This will dictate whether I buy the roundtrip airport express ticket or not.
Yes. Driver may ask for your return AEL ticket.

Originally Posted by Matthew330Ci
And are there 2 separate H1 buses, 1 going to Western and 1 going to Admiralty/Wanchai? If it's 1 bus having to make 8 stops to get to the Holiday Inn, I may elect to take a taxi.
One bus but the bus stops back at HK Station after Novotel and before Holiday Inn Express. So you're not obliged to ride all of the Stops 1-7. Bus also stops at HK Station again after Stop 11.

http://hkbus.wikia.com/wiki/%E6%A9%9...%ABH1%E7%B6%AB
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
About walking Hong Kong Station to Ibis, the 1.7km route on Google Map is clearly unnecessary. The actual route along straight onto the above-ground walkway through Shun Tak and then across Connaught Rd West should be about 400-500m shorter. Realistic walk time, about 15 minutes.

As for the Airport Express shuttles, they run in a loop. The "H1 West" shuttle goes to 8, 9, 10 and 11. So, the IBIS is the first stop from station , and you can get on the same bus at Stop 8, then it goes 9, 10, 11 and back to the station. I don't believe you need to purchase a ticket in advance for trip TOWARDS the station - they basically believe you will be taking the train. Many uses Octopus to pay for tickets, and others simply WILL buy a ticket at station - it'd be stupid for them to deny you, though I have no experience.

Meanwhile, video from SCMP.com, the city's leading English newspaper:
Pepper Spray straight into someone with their hands up:
http://widgets.scmp.com/video/video_...video_m=997293

And taking protestors to dark places and kick him for minutes:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LvsrEF3gp-U

Last edited by rkkwan; Oct 14, 2014 at 8:02 pm
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rkkwan
I don't believe you need to purchase a ticket in advance for trip TOWARDS the station - they basically believe you will be taking the train. Many uses Octopus to pay for tickets, and others simply WILL buy a ticket at station - it'd be stupid for them to deny you, though I have no experience.
In theory the drivers will ask to see a airline ticket departing HKG today. Don't know what they do in practice.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

10:33: Now TV reports four lanes of Lung Wo have been open for two hours http://news.now.com/home/local/playe...=115027&home=1

In other news it appears Civic Party member Ken Tsang Kin-chiu was the protester taken aside and beaten up and the Complaints Against Police Office have already started processing a complaint.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
Originally Posted by percysmith
Marco Polo my Google Map search shows 4min/2.1km by car and 23min/1.7km by foot. The pedestrian route is assisted by having the covered above-ground walkway between HK Station/IFC and Shun Tak.

It's definitely doable by foot. My Google Map search also corresponds to where I remember it is, having walked there from Sheung Wan station in about 8 minutes or so. It'll take about ~7 minutes to walk from IFC to Shun Tak. Give me ~4 minutes to walk from Shun Tak's MTR entrance to the Hillier Street entrances and 3 to walk up from HK station to the walkway so 23 minutes is not unreasonable.
Google maps I posted was for a taxi routing
The HK Govt Geoinfo map as the crow flies station to hotel is 1,280 meters
That excludes the trek out of Central station, 300m say
Add the up and down steps from the walkways and the whole walk would be about 2km with associated bumping of shoulders of people engrossed in their smartphones
As for ChrisSteo would he be so happily walking 2kms in unknown territory towing bags up and down steps in 30 degrees after a longhaul journey ?
In any case the Airport buses should be running to Sun Yat Sen park stop again by now which means just crossing the road on the walkway and walking 200 meters to the hotel.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Have a reservation for late November at the MO in HK for a leisure trip.

At what point do I change to a different HK hotel?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dgreen12
Have a reservation for late November at the MO in HK for a leisure trip.

At what point do I change to a different HK hotel?
Why do you want to change? I stopped by there last week, and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 4:10 pm

How is the area around the Conrad?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by Ross0
How is the area around the Conrad?
http://traffic.td.gov.hk/ClickProcessor.do?area_id=hk
Hennessy Rd near Arsenal street
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Marco Polo
Thanks. Looks fine at the moment. Is that the closest camera to the Conrad?

Much appreciated!
Old Oct 16, 2014, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Ross0
Thanks. Looks fine at the moment. Is that the closest camera to the Conrad?

Much appreciated!
Yes Arsenal street is 100 meters past the turning that leads uphill to the Conrad
Also the police cleared out the Mongkok protesters overnight
Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:46 pm

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...tudent-demands

Fresh clashes in Mong Kok, as officials look for ways to address student demands
Saturday, 18 October, 2014, 1:54am
News› Hong Kong
POLITICS
Staff Reporters
Riot police back in action as clearance of Mong Kok barriers riles crowd; government seeks a bridge from Beijing's ruling to students' demands
Violent clashes between demonstrators and riot police erupted in Mong Kok last night, casting doubt over what the government said were fresh moves to start talks with students in a bid to end a seemingly intractable impasse over electoral reform that has sparked almost three weeks of unprecedented street protests.
Just hours after police moved in to clear the Mong Kong Kok Occupy site, more than a thousand protesters poured back into the district, clashing with police. Fresh trouble broke out near the government headquarters in Lung Wo Road in Admiralty.
By the early hours of this morning, a section of Nathan Road in Mong Kok was occupied by protesters as police moved to stop them blocking the junction with Argyle Street again.
Riot police used pepper spray and batons in a bid to drive back the protesters and the clashes led to a number of arrests. Among them was award-winning international photo-journalist Paula Bronstein, who was detained after jumping onto a car to take pictures. Her arrest was later condemned by the Foreign Correspondents Club, which issued a statement accusing the police of "intimidating'' journalists.
Yan Chan, who was in the front row when the clash broke out, said police's handling was inappropriate. "They started using pepper spray very quickly," said the 24-year-old. "There was no fighting back by the protesters at all."
The trouble flared after officials said earlier in the day they were looking for a way to secure a meeting between Chief Secretary Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-Ngor and representatives of the Federation of Students - which has been tentatively set for Tuesday at the Academy of Medicine in Aberdeen.
Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying has insisted dialogue be based on the National People's Congress Standing Committee's decision on the 2017 chief executive election that ruled out public nomination - which is central to the students' demands.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 4:16 am

http://rthk.hk/rthk/news/elocal/news...018&56&1046709

Protesters gain ground in Mongkok; police retreat
18-10-2014
Thousands of protesters have taken over a large area of Nathan Road, and police have moved back from the junction of Nathan Road and Dundas Street, which was the scene of a tense standoff with pro-democracy protesters Friday night.
At about 12.40am, police retreated from their position lined up along Nathan Road between Argyle Street and Dundas Street to the sound of jeers and applause from the crowd, who rebuilt a makeshift barricade.
Protesters also returned to Lung Wo Road in Admiralty, but the main activity was in Mongkok, where hundreds of demonstrators remained in the north-bound lane of Nathan Road.
The road only reopened to traffic early on Friday after a police operation to clear barricades. The southbound section remains blocked by protesters, who have set up tents.
Tensions remain high as sporadic clashes continued to break out between demonstrators and police, who used batons and pepper spray against protesters. Police say at least fifteen officers are injured.
Separately, hundreds of protesters took over a section of Argyle Street near Reclamation Street. Argyle Street only reopened to traffic early on Friday after police cleared barricades.
Many people have been arrested, and traffic in the area is completely paralysed.
An American press photographer Paula Bronstein was detained after she was forced to climb on top of a car to protect her equipment
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond, HHonors: Diamond, SPG: Gold
We were there for that! The protest was actually pretty peaceful, though there were cops and protesters everywhere. The intersection of Nathan and Argyle was basically barricaded in every direction. We only stopped by for 10 minutes or so since we had to leave for the airport, but things weren't too bad at 8pm on Saturday (the 18th).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.