Low-cost Hotels in HK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Low-cost Hotels in HK

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2014, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Deleted: CAN doesn't mean Canada here so visas presumably aren't an issue.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Aug 8, 2014 at 12:59 pm Reason: my stupidity
Old Aug 8, 2014, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
The next challenge is to find ways to eat smartly & inexpensively - that's my two cents on putting a different spin angle on suggestions to the OP.
I find that FAR easier to do in Hong Kong than to find a decent hotel room at 30 GBP/50 USD a night, as long as you eat like the locals...
Old Aug 8, 2014, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Letitride3c

As a solo traveler, CK/MM in TST as above maybe okay - but with GF in tow, I would hate to stay in one of those GH & sleep with earplugs leaning against waffle-thin walls, and some of them don't have AC, just fan - in the middle of August, urgh - but, that's just me.
I made this point in post #2. I've never stayed in Chungking Mansions, but an American friend of mine who lives in Shanghai gets off on the "thrill". I'm quite sure that the OP's gf does not desire such a thrill.

If I were in the OP's shoes, I'd simply ask mom for a loan to bridge the gap between there and an actual hotel. This would happen within 5 minutes (in the case of my mom).

My underlying philosophy is that young people often have lots of time to spare, but not a lot of cash to enjoy it, and that it is better spend the coin (get more!) while you are still good looking v. waiting until you are 65 to go on cruises.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:46 pm

Programs: CX Diamond
trivago

A quick search on trivago will throw up lots of options (generally guesthouses) in a wide selection of locations.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, VS, SU
I can afford a hotel, it's just I'm back off to Uni next year and want to save as much as I can. Might be a wise investment to spend a few extra quid a night and get something decent to sleep in - might regret staying in a guesthouse...

Gf said she doesn't mind staying in one but I know she will just complain regardless. :rollseyes:

Thanks all for your inputs, I'll check out a few of the names of 'cheaper' hotels that have been popping up in this thread and let you know what I decide.

How much are taxi fares in HK, is this the cheapest way to get around or are buses very reasonable and frequent?
Old Aug 9, 2014, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by joe19924

How much are taxi fares in HK, is this the cheapest way to get around or are buses very reasonable and frequent?
Taxis in HK aren't substantially more expensive than Shanghai, BUT crossing the harbor is rather expensive. Basically, plan on using the MTR or Star Ferry when they are open, and only take cabs across the harbor after hours.

Buses are good for going places on the island that are beyond the range of the MTR (e.g. Stanley Market, Aberdeen). To get to Lama Island (not a must, but nice hiking), you're going to need to take a boat.

Last edited by moondog; Aug 9, 2014 at 1:56 am
Old Aug 9, 2014, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
Taxis in HK aren't substantially more expensive than Shanghai, BUT crossing the harbor is rather expensive. Basically, plan on using the MTR or Star Ferry when they are open, and only take cabs across the harbor after hours.

Buses are good for going places on the island that are beyond the range of the MTR (e.g. Stanley Market, Aberdeen). To get to Lama Island (not a must, but nice hiking), you're going to need to take a boat.
Great, cheers (Y).

Looks like I'll be taking a mixture of transportation about the islands in that case!
Old Aug 9, 2014, 7:58 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
If you are okay to eat 'local', then I would suggest paying up more to stay at a hotel and eat cheap.

Don't bother with taxis - they aren't expensive (if you are coming from US/Australia/UK), but the public transportation in Hong Kong is very reliable and extremely easy to use. Only use taxis for late night, as the MTR closes at 12-1 (depending on the line you are travelling).
Old Aug 9, 2014, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by deathscar
If you are okay to eat 'local', then I would suggest paying up more to stay at a hotel and eat cheap.

Don't bother with taxis - they aren't expensive (if you are coming from US/Australia/UK), but the public transportation in Hong Kong is very reliable and extremely easy to use. Only use taxis for late night, as the MTR closes at 12-1 (depending on the line you are travelling).
The hotel price floor honestly is an uncontrollable constant. This can range from 450 to 1200 depending on demand, but if you don't have the means to hit the number in question, either cancel the trip or prepare yourself for a Chungking Mansion experience. I've never been disappointed by a 3 star hotel in HK, and find them to be an excellent value.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 10:49 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by joe19924
Great, cheers (Y).

Looks like I'll be taking a mixture of transportation about the islands in that case!
I've taken minibuses between Central and Tsim Sha Tsui/Mong Kok in the wee hours, just in case taxis don't want to take you across the harbor.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
The hotel price floor honestly is an uncontrollable constant. This can range from 450 to 1200 depending on demand, but if you don't have the means to hit the number in question, either cancel the trip or prepare yourself for a Chungking Mansion experience. I've never been disappointed by a 3 star hotel in HK, and find them to be an excellent value.
In this case, it may be a good idea to pre-book a couple!
Old Aug 13, 2014, 5:52 am

Programs: Skyteam
If you are alone, try the tiny single hotels. Very tiny.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by skchin
If you are alone, try the tiny single hotels. Very tiny.
OP isn't alone, though if the OP books self and GF in a very tiny single, might end up that way.

(Mingle on the Wing has singles like that, that are basically corridors with a bed at one end, desk and door in middle, bathroom at end- you can touch the walls standing in the middle of the room. It's OK if you are by yourself and pack light, I guess, but it would get crowded fast with 2 people's luggages and people.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.